Is buying previous generation electronics to save money logical?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • Mar 4, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the easiest ways to save money on electronics is wait a little time for the companies to upgrade their products then go buy the old school product they're selling at discounted prices.

Considering the fact that a 'new-generation' computers for example, could faster, etc., etc, would you forgo the new features to save some dough?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends on the product and the needs. For example, do you really NEED your computer to go the absolute fastest possible? Are you running programs that are even going to show a noticeable difference? If you're not a huge multi-tasker, heavy user, gamer, video designer, etc.... then chances are, you don't need the absolute best or newest video card or RAM.

The same goes for a lot of other electronics. It's very possible you don't need the newest tech.

3. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, it depends on a certain factors. The first thing which matters is the ratio of performance increase to price difference. If this amount of performance increase offered by the newer generation of device is considerably more then the extra amount you have to pay, then I would recommend going for the next generation device. Also, the next thing which matters is the personal needs of the user, if he or she feels that his requirements are being fulfilled by the older generation of device then i would recommend him to stick with te older generation one.

4. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    At the rate that technology advances, any top of the line product you buy will be previous generation in six months. That's not long enough for me to assume that my device went from cutting edge to obsolete, so I might as well wait for the price drop and capitalize on the difference. The iPhone 5 is only marginally different than the newest model, the iPad 3 is virtually the same as the newest model---processor power is always going to improve, and you can't keep up with the pace that the manufacturers set.

5. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    It definitely depends on what you need the product for. If you need it for work and need a great computer, then you should get the best you can. If you just want it for leisurely using or for a child, then go ahead and get an older one. I always buy an older phone (When the Galaxy 4 comes out I might get the 3). It works perfectly for me so it all depends.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It depends on any particular product, and the timing, in my opinion. If the previous generation is being passed on just because it is old and not really that much outdated, still, then I guess it would be sensible to purchase it in place of the newer technology especially if the new ones are just mostly upgraded aesthetically. However, some products are upgraded significantly by the next model with much more efficient features and sometimes it may even end up saving you more on electricity like in the case of some TVs. In situations like these, I think you'd end up saving a lot more in the long run buying the new model instead.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Buying a previous generation model, at least for electronics, sounds like a good deal to me.

Usually the features or power a smartphone or PC has when compared with an earlier model are not worth the difference you pay. At least this is what I think. Granted, there are instances where you need those features. Say you're a designer or video editor. In this case you need all the power you can get and the money you invest is worth it. For the casual user, not so much. I see no point for a cute little grandma to own the latest PC when all she wants is to stalk the nephews on Facebook ;)

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on what you need. It's the same with most electronics, be it computers, phones, tablets, televisions.. pretty much everything. Do you NEED the added features or performance? For example, if you just use your computer for the internet, a bit of music and maybe watching a movie or two, the why on earth would you get a new one?! A 3 year old computer will do all of those completely fine.

Companies keep pushing out new technology really fast because they need to sell these items in order to make a profit. They know that most of the updates aren't necessary, but they market them as useful and cool in order to get people to buy them. It's business, they want you to buy the latest thing. But do you really need it?

9. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    Buying a previous gen Product is a great way to save money. It has to be only 1 or 2 years old though. Each generation only has minor changes although sometimes a generation will have major breakthrough (4k for example). For the most part you can save money on a previous gen tv, phone, and laptop. So yes it's a great way to save if it is not too outdated. You won't always get the newest tech but it doesn't matter because new tech like 4k and those kinds of thing won't pick up or have content for a few years.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For a while there, I was recommending my friends the Canon S95 camera, since it's not much different from the newer models such as the S110 and S100 - just a few years older. However, when I was in Best Buy about a year ago, I noticed they were selling all three models - and they were only a few bucks apart in price difference. I would have expected the oldest ones to be marked down by much more by this point in time. Although on sites like Amazon, you can get good prices on the S95.

11. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Of course it's logical in most instances - it's like college textbooks. The difference between the most recent textbooks is generally nothing, but aesthetics and it's no use buying something just because it's "prettier". On the other hand when there is a major difference - then why not wait a bit and save up for the new one? Either way there isn't any point in dropping money just to drop it.

12. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Which is more logical?

Dishing out 800 bucks for a smartphone that you would mainly use for calls and text? Or going for a cheaper lower end smartphone that still can hold its own against the newer models? Of course, going for the cheaper one would always seem logical.

Still, you should take into consideration your needs. Maybe you need to play games that are heavy on graphics like Shadowgun or Virtua Tennis. Probably a lower end smartphone won't cut it in this case.

13. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, good post from lindbergh. Even though our needs have to be taken into consideration it makes little sense to me in buying old technology. I have a dilemma right now, upgrading my old laptop or buying a new one and I think that it's preferable to invest rather to try to mend an old laptop...

14. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I would no doubt. To me I only demand a certain plateau to the hardwares that I buy. As long as the product matches my needs I don't need to get the latest ones with upgrades that I don't need. Prices of electrics drop very quicky so even though they're cheap they are not exactly old.