Is Buying Used Parts, And Building A Computer Yourself Much Cheaper?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Colebra • Feb 16, 2015.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Just wondering...
    I'd really like to have a really fast computer for work, but sure as hell ain't speding crazy amounts of money right now...
    But if I could get a sweet deal by buying used parts, I guess it would be worth it...

Can you please share a few tips if you do this already?

Thanks in avance! ;)

2. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    First of all if you're planning on buying used parts I would recommend you examine it physically first, of course if you're doing it online then it's out of the question but you have to make sure that whatever you're buying there is a guarantee.

Also, based on my experience you have to be careful on kind of used parts you're buying, for example graphics cards. Since graphics cards take a lot of heat abuse you may want to be careful when buying used ones.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would definitely try to build my own computer rather than buying if u could. It is definitely cheaper. I think it is best if we try it atleast. Also if there is a problem with the computer you would know how to work over it.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It's definitely cheaper but the only problem you'd have is that, well it's used. You can't really expect that much in terms of durability especially for parts that gets a lot of heat. I would suggest trying to scavenge electronic stores for used parts since you have the advantage of physically examining them before purchase.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How about buying brand new computer parts and then building your own custom pc? You can still save a lot of money because you built it instead of buying a pre-built one. If you can very well afford to buy brand new computer parts, then go for it, because you're assured of longevity in performance as compared to buying second hand parts.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Building a computer yourself is much cheaper, yes. Buying used parts.. not so much. It's not worth it, really. If you don't have a money for a good computer, just build a budget one. You can get a decent computer that even runs most games for $300-400.