Is Chromecast Worth It?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Nov 18, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Chromecast-list-7.

I'm contemplating getting myself a Chromecast this Christmas and even though it's relatively cheap at $35 I'm still trying to be as sure as I can be that it is the absolute best choice because I could easily just spend that money on something else that might do a better job, so I'm asking here to see if anyone has had experience with this gadget before I buy it or if there are better alternatives out there.

The thing is, I don't live in the US, so Netflix and Hulu features are useless to me, and also I've been hearing about some similar adapters that do much more things than just mirroring youtube videos and instead can mirror whatever I'm playing on my tablet via wireless MHL.

so to those who are knowledgable in these types of products, I'd like to ask if you think chromecast is worth it or if I should just look into better alternatives if there are any you would recommend.

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't own one, but I had used my brother's Chromecast and it works good. I haven't looked into other similar products, but probably in the near future. I think it's only worth buying Chromecast if one watches things on one's TV alot and with others, otherwise, it's best to simply buy a HDMI cord to connect.

3. smartdude966

smartdude966New Member

Threads:
    The Chromecast is useful to me but I don't think it may be useful to you. I watch Netflix, YouTube and stream local content from my phone to my chromecast. I think you don't get the intention of the chromecast, which is to be a content streamer. It was designed to stream videos and photos, not to stream live content. Live content streaming requires a lot of resources which the Chromecast doesn't have. So if I was you I would go with an MHL adapter if you want to mirror your screen. But if you just want to play videos than the Chromecast is the way to go.

4. bhp6636

bhp6636New Member

Threads:
    I agree with the other replies. Chromecast may not be the best thing for you. I have a friend who uses Chromecast all the time. We were at their house and they were streaming youtube videos and music from their phone to the Chromecast. They don't have cable just hi-speed internet so they utilize Hulu, Netflix, and network tv show streaming apps to watch TV and movies. Hope that helps.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you like streaming media, then Chromecast is the perfect solution. it's as simple as that. It's cheaper than the other options, aside from the Amazon Fire TV Stick, which will most likely be in low supply for the next few months. The Chromecast is $30, and that's not a bad investment. If you wind up hating it, then you can either return it or you're out a relatively small sum of money.