Is Clothing And Shoes Becoming More Affordable Because Of Competition?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by explorerx7 • Jul 11, 2017.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have seen where online sites have been jostling for customers in the shoe clothing business, hence, they are constantly offering discounts and other inducements like free shipping amongst other things at certain times in order to obtain improved customer support. In my view, this has allowed many persons to get these goods at very discounted rates. What's your take on this situation?

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, definitely that's the massive benefit of capitalism. Since businesses are competing for your service, the price will get lower. However, though, if those businesses can form a monopoly, then the customers are in for some pain. Nonetheless, a lot of well-known companies cannot form a monopoly at the current time.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed this online and actually offline too. I can sure see that its's because of competion, but have seen these promotions from stores that are not as popular as others. For example at the mall there are stores that sell brands that are known internationally that compete with each other but have noticed that the ones that need to compete more are the ones that are known nationally. Such stores have discounts almost everytime I go to the mall where as the others only have them sometimes.

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I love it... It's amazing! :) Plus (something veryimportant), this is clear an awesome proof that capitalism is not that seven-headed monster that communists always paint in every corner. :cool:

5. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Not just clothing and shoes, every thing has become cheaper because of the competitive market. Shoes and clothes are also cheaper because new manufacturer are bringing a range of products in the market. Since they are trying to penetrate the market, they have priced items really cheap. However, the branded items are still expensive.

6. Ani_m

Ani_mMember

Threads:
    I also think that the fact that more people struggle in this economy has influenced this. There's a couple of well known designer clothes shops that are going bankrupt because fewer people are willing to spend a lot of money on clothes. I guess the rest don't want to fall down that path. It's better for their business to adapt to their customers.

7. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    Maybe yes, but still there is some expensive clothing out there. But there are a lot of discounts that is true, and it must be because of the "competitive" firms out there, since there are many of them now. And a lot of brands and stuff. I don't mind anyway, I am not that much of a shopping type.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well whatever it is it's great. I just bought 2 t-shirts for summer that was 2.82 each. I love the price from Walmart though it's from their retail store, they offer now a cheaper price when you buy online and pick up in store, fantastic extra savings. I have found that prices are very good right now with sales, Black Friday in July from amazon and now it's catching on that retailers is having the same kind of sale, fantastic for we save lots of money! :)

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I don't notice the standard or regular brands bowing to the pressure, but I do realize that prices of clothes and shoes have fallen because the market is being flooded by cheap imports mostly from China. While this is good for most consumers, it is not the best situation for local garments manufacturers who can't compete with the incredibly low prices of imported clothes because they're paying their people higher wages than what workers in China reportedly receive.

10. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I think that too, though I am not sure about those premier brands, as I usually don't look for those, I think we can always get less expensive clothes in the store or online. I think this kind of competition is always good for consumers. Not only the price is more affordable, the service might be better too.

11. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Yes and no. Modern designs also has a lot to with trends and how people shop.

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    The fact is nowadays I have seen that prices of clothes and shoes have come down low when compared to some years back. The reason for this is not far fetched, competition. The competition is not only seen at the level of the selling stores only, it's also among manufacturers. I find that shoes from China are quite affordable and durable depending on how you use them.

13. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Competition is always healthy for the consumer. We get the benefit of lower prices. When we can also get reasonable quality at a low price, that's a big win.

Unfortunately, a lot of these cheaper products that are so abundant are also cheaply made. I saw some shirts on sale real cheap, but when I picked them up, they were so thin that you could literally see right through them. They will not hold up very well with washing and won't last long.

I guess that's to be expected in our disposable society these days, but I prefer to spend a little more and get something a bit better. I still want a good deal, but I also want quality. It pays to shop around so we can have both.

14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I guess that's true to a certain point, although when it comes to brand names, competition doesn't make them lower their prices, unless it's on sale. Outside of that, their prices keep increasing.

15. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, not only in the clothes and shoes industries, but virtually in any industry. I think because of the increased number of industries, there has been an increase in supply, more than there is demand. This in result has led to a decrease in the equilibrium price. Also an improvement in technology, has reduced production cost, which would help reduce the overall cost.

However, for most, but not all, clothes that I have bought at discounted rates, have a lower quality than those that I have bought at a higher price. Therefore, I think that even as they entice us with such low prices, they really do not have much to lose.

16. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Compared to the past, es, I would say that clothes and shoes are more affordable now. When I was growing up, I remember that buying such stuff used to an annual activity when we bought clothes and shoes only during a major festival season. Getting new clothes on your birthday too used to be rare. So compared to those days, buying new stuff is definitely within reach for more people.

17. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is not to malign the Chinese manufacturers but I have noticed that shoes and apparel have become cheaper when Chinese goods came here. Their footwear are so cheap that even the poor can now afford nice shoes and slippers. Likewise with the clothes, they are not the signature brand and the quality is not that good but the design is quite fine especially if you don’t have the budget for expensive clothes. I guess those cheap products from China are pulling down the prices of their competitors.

18. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, definitely. My mother used to buy me clothings when I just need it because she said that they were so expensive. But now, she always buy me clothes because the price changed.

19. JOHN MATTHEW

JOHN MATTHEWNew Member

Threads:
    This is the world of cutthroat competition. The things are getting cheaper because the manufacturer has to penetrate the market with any lucrative scheme. But at this point, you need to look at the quality of the stuff you buy. Many small players are selling their products at throwaway prices but it’s always better to compare the products online.

20. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    That is really something amazing and appealing and I guess you should also check

to have better products.