Is couchsurfing safe?

Discussion in Travel started by Gelsemium • Mar 6, 2014.

1. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this but I would not do it. I have three kids in the house and I would not feel safe with strangers coming in and hanging out. I suppose it might be okay for some people, but it is definitely not for me and I wouldn't try it.

2. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    We looked into it...and I think in the majority of cases, it's perfectly safe and fine. We decided to stay in hostels instead, which ended up costing us about $20-30 a person per night - so still cheaper than a hotel.

3. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you because I have kids and I would never have a stranger in my house with my kids and I would never also go to a strangers house with my kids. Being alone or with friends would be a totally different matter though.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would want to have strangers at my home, because we all know that there is a risk that that person may rob you or maybe do something worse than that. I'm very wary of strangers, so that type of thing is not for me, I guess.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    We all have the same concern sidney, that is why this is such a revolutionary concept, you get to stay at someone's place for free. Also, if it wasn't safe I don't think it would have grown to the point of where it is right now, it's a really big community of couch-surfers.

6. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Couch-surfing is great! I have been a participant for quite some time now, and through this practice i have made a lot of great friends! While i live in a small apartment, i did not have the opportunity to "host a couch", but i had the pleasure to help foreigners see a different side of my city and exchange different ideas from different cultures! I highly suggest it :)

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's interesting Steve, so you could not "host a couch" meaning that you could not receive people? In that case how did you helped foreigners, how did you meet with them?

Have you stayed in someone else's couch?

8. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Yes, i could not have people stay in my house because i live in a small house with no additional beds or couches to sleep. But i was receiving people, giving them advices about their stay in the city and going with them to various parties that i knew they would like and arranging for them to find a place to sleep. It is a really rewarding experience!

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Really cool, I thought that couch-surfing was pretty much about letting people sleep on your place, but you also have this side of being a touristic guide what I find great. I think that we are too afraid of our fellow humans, w should trust more and benefit more from one another, like in this situation.

10. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Nope, couch-surfing is more than a way of getting a free couch for the night! It is mostly about connection between people and multicultural exchange of ideas, having good time with random strangers and receiving help about a location without any thoughts of economic exploitation doubt "because you are a tourist". I totally agree that as a modern society we have closed the door to the people next to us. It's a shame that this has become normal nowadays. But internet has become a useful tool to overcome some of these norms.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's really great indeed, I never thought that would be something so broad. Also, do you have an idea if couch-surfing is a concept that exists all around the world? I would feel less confident doing couch-surfing on a third world country because I'm afraid of the insecurity...