Is Downloading Something Posted on Youtube Piracy

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Denis Hard • Oct 12, 2013.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Then I guess that makes a huge difference.

If you have no intention of redistributing the material and it's already your browsers cache, then that can't be piracy. After all, if you copy something, say a quote from a web-site and paste in a word file to read later, that isn't copyright infringement.

I understand these people who post videos on youtube make money from the ads displayed but since technically, you've visited the page [and seen the ads] then making a one-time download for that one-time viewing of ads isn't bad because either way they make a little because you already visited and had a look at the ads.

2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry, I give up. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, and no idea about what copyright infrimgement means and what it constitutes.

3. iShootRocks

iShootRocksNew Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty sure its safe to do but I think its still considered piracy because you're getting something for free while others are paying for it.

4. Loyal

LoyalBanned

Threads:
    This is a real simple answer. YES! I do not approve of piracy as an artist myself.

5. Denis Hard

Threads:
    TBH, I cared about the rights of others on the net until mine were trampled on. If it's a dog-eat-dog society then I'm game for that.

I used to be against piracy [I was a 3D artist]. Totally against piracy then someone [who should have known better] struck me below the belt. You don't steal something from your friend and share it with everyone else. You know what that person will do? He'll get your stuff and also share it.

I'm all for downloading anything I can find free online [now] until I recover the value of what I lost.

6. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    If it's on youtube and you download it I don't think it's piracy, but I am not 100% sure. If it wasn't allowed to download, why would it be on youtube?

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a mentality of a 12 yerars old.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah it is definitely piracy, but I'm sure everyone has downloaded copyrighted content for free at one point or very often in their lives, so I wouldn't really consider it a big deal if you download content from Youtube.

9. Denis Hard

Threads:
    No one has stolen $2K from you recently. You wouldn't be so sanctimonious Aladar!

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    a) you can't know that

b) that's not an excuse to act like a spoiled brat

If you want to pirate things, at least don't try to justify it with some pathetic excuse.

11. Denis Hard

Threads:
    I stand corrected but resent;) the use of the phrase 'pathetic excuse'

It's a good enough reason to motivate anyone to pay back his 'enemy.' It wasn't indiscriminate piracy I was up to. . .please note the difference.

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I stand by my term of pathetic excuse. "Someone has stolen from me and it felt shitty so now I will steal others to make them feel shitty so I can feel better about myself and pretend it's justified" is somethinga reasonably thinking grown man would not come up with. No one here cares about your personal drama, and those artists you steal from don't care about your drama either.

13. Denis Hard

Threads:
    What drama?

Appears to me you failed to read between the lines. . .

#33Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is but piracy is a dramatized topic. Now let me start off by saying I completely understand the existence of copyright law. I could go on and on about why the word copyright pisses me off but I will simplify my perspective for now. While I do not believe in making a profit off of someone's work, to always buy songs that you want to listen to is not important. If I like an artist enough I'm most likely going to buy their music but if I don't, I'm not going to shell out money for them when they have enough fans going to their concerts and what have you. They're not hurting for money and I don't have it to burn so it's not my problem.

#34Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  15. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it is piracy, but it is not in the typical form. However there is no real way to curb this. It is like back in the day when tapes were popular and everyone was recording from radio. I think that artists have to be doing some really great and amazing music that it makes people want to get out of their way and buy from you.

16. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Theoretically, there is. You can always encrypt the stream, which does prevent people from downloading it. Does not solve the problem of recording audio from Youtube, but.. for everything else, they won't be able to download it.

17. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    I like almost always download stuff online and for songs I usually do it through YouTube. For me I don't see it as piracy since if it were, you would not find the upload option given in most YouTube songs and videos.

18. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    I read somewhere that there was a (intentional?) loophole in Youtube's terms and conditions that stated that if you use legitimate third party software to save a video/track from youtube and use it ONLY for personal use without sharing it with anyone or distributing it then it was okay (at least by youtube's rules) I guess you could still say that it was the most legitimate form of piracy.