Is Drug Store Makeup Ok?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Rosyrain • Jun 27, 2016.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    For the last decade or so I have only purchased Department store makeup and was wondering how drug store makeup compares. I could save at least 5o% if I purchased my make up from Target or Walgreens but I fear that the quality is not as good. What is your opinion on this?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many products are made in the same factories, and I use both drugstore and department store. You may get more choice of colors in a department store and with skincare products a slightly higher active ingredient list but that's the main difference. I used to work on the beauty counters in department stores and many of us bought drugstore items.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree with Theo, the products are generally made by the same manufacturers so it is kind of unnecessary to pay inflated department store prices on the products. If you have any doubt about products you are buying, compare the ingredient list so you can ensure you are buying an equivalent product. It is one way to make sure you are getting the same thing.

4. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    Agree with the above, many products are so close to the same you will never know the difference. You can also get more deals with coupons and sales at the drugstores. I have had bad luck with some products, so it's worth checking out the reviews before you buy. I keep my makeup pretty simple though and now have my go-to favorites, especially Maybelline Great Lash mascaras (a favorite of many professional makeup artists) and NYX lipsticks.

5. ladydaydream

ladydaydreamNew Member

Threads:
    Drugstore makeup is more than okay. In fact, there are entire blogs dedicated to finding "dupes" (duplicates) of department store or name brand versions of products. The quality of the item can definitely vary, but more often than not it's a very similar item. I highly recommend elf Cosmetics, which are a drugstore brand that provide really cheap but quality products, especially their brushes, which are frankly a steal.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    They are good and have their use in the mix of things but for me it's better to venture out and also find some key brand name items with higher quality to the collection since there are just some products that won't have a dug store substitute or equivalent. Still only a couple of these luxury items mixed in with a base of mostly drug store makeup is already sufficient in my opinion or at the very least you could just go for the cheaper brand name ones which do tend to be a little bit better than the drug store variety for not much more in additional cost.

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Target is beginning to introduce some high end names in their cosmetics department but the question is whether the quality is the same. Personally, I've had better luck at the dept. store counter and before I pay, I try to look at it as an investment in me. No wants to see makeup streaks or runs when on the clock.

As far as Walgreens goes, I've heard about a store with an extensive makeup counter. I mean with counter people and everything. But I've never visited this store. The others just seem to be high priced.

8. cecejailer

cecejailerMember

Threads:
    I think drugstore makeup is okay. Not high end, of course, but you get what you're paying for. if you buy $1 eyeliner, you will get something with bad quality. If you buy $20 eyeliner, you're gonna get something much better, obviously. The good thing about drugstore makeup is that they have lots of variety. Lots of brands to choose from. You can get something really crappy but also something amazing!

9. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I usually buy my makeup at the Walgreens drugstore as they carry the same cosmetics as major grocery stores. I have never had a problem with any makeup i hsve purchased from Walgreens.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think both types of make-up are just the same, the only difference is that you're paying for a non-branded one, so it's not as expensive as the branded ones.

11. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    Since I don't usually wear makeup, I just buy the drug store kind. It's affordable and good enough for me to practice with. Some drug store brands are better than others, you just have to be careful. The makeup that costs a dollar usually doesn't last or you won't even be able to apply it well. Nyx is a really good, affordable brand. I love their lipsticks and lip creams. And as other posters have mentioned, it's easy to find duplicates of the department store brand that work just as well.

12. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I use both from the drugstore and the department store. I suppose if price-wise, sometimes it's cheaper at the drugstore. I don't really buy too much makeup, and when I do it's when the price is discounted. But they both carry the same brand anyway.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is, as long as you know what to buy. For example, there are things from wet and wild, which is very cheap, that are better then stuff from Revlon for example. I also really like NYX. I used to like Olay, but I don't use them anymore after I found out they test on animals. I also don't use L'oreal, Revlon and Maybelline for that same reason.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, drugstore can be just as good as department store stuff. But I'd just say be careful what you get. Read the labels and make sure you get the good stuff. I'm like you and more often than not prefer to go with the more expensive stuff. This past week i was desperate to get some mascara because I ran out. As I was a bit short on money, I settled for a Rimmel one because I've used the brand before. But my, it's HORRIBLE. No matter what I do with it, it clumps my lashes together and too much goes on the brush. Even when I wipe off the excess with a tissue, the minute I try to apply it, my lashes clump together...WTH?! I never knew mascara could be that bad. It was cheap, but not that cheap.

15. Saundra Jackson

Saundra JacksonMember

Threads:
    LOL! My favorite mascara is Rimmel Scandal Eyes :p I have tried many others before and I always ended up buying this one again and again :)
    It never clumps my lashes, but it makes them so long and ads nice volume.

Attached Files:

16. Lushlala

Threads:

That one looks great, Saundra! I really like the look of that one, but I'm almost certain I've never seen it here. I also love my Rimmel mascara. Most of the mascaras I've previously used were Rimmel, because I keep going back to it. In fact, the last one before this weird one was a very nice one, not quite as fancy as yours looks, but still very nice. But this one's a nightmare! Gives me caterpillar like lashes, not quite the look I'm going for hehe. So as soon as I get chance, I'm going to get another one and chuck this one.

17. Saundra Jackson

Saundra JacksonMember

Threads:

I like it because it has that "hourglass shaped" brush and i don't know maybe i just imagine it :D , but it makes my lashes fuller and longer. You should try it . They are kind of cheap too.. on ebay, they cost like 5-7$ Also I like Rimmel concealers too :p

18. Lushlala

Threads:

Oh, I'll definitely be looking it up in my local stores! I sure hope that we have it, because I'm often frustrated that a lot of items vary from country to country. I guess in that case, eBay would be an option. As far as concealers go, I haven't tried any Rimmel makeup at all. I have 'special case' skin in that is prone to spots and uneven skin tone. So I've found over the years that in order to get that flawless, off the red carpet look, I have to opt for YSL or Mac, which work fantastically with my skin. Right now I'm using Mac, and quite frankly, I have never received as many compliments about my skin!

19. Saundra Jackson

Saundra JacksonMember

Threads:
    Ahh, my skin.. I don't even want to talk about it. Seriously I look like teenager :D lol

20. Lushlala

Threads:
    Hehe sorry @Saundra, but it makes me feel a little better to find out I'm not on own LOL But seriously, when does it ever end?! I would've thought I'd already paid my dues a million times over in my teens, why should I still be breaking out even as an adult!?! The amount of money I've had to spend over the years in order to clear my skin up is not even funny LOL Oh well, I guess we can't have it all. We worry about imperfect skin, while some people out there have a whole lot more to worry about.