Is Dying Your Hair Bad For You?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by hummingbirdee • Apr 25, 2012.

1. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I don't dye my hair because I like to keep the number of chemicals I use to a minimum, but there are some natural alternatives on the market that are much kinder to the environment and your health. It takes a bit of time and research to find what you want, but I have a couple of friends that use them and think they are great.

2. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    At one point of time, even I used to believe that dying is not good for hair. This might be also because at those times times lot of chemicals were used which used to affect the scalp & also rest of the hair. However, now the products are better. There are no chemicals. I regularly use L'Oreal & I feel my hair looks good. They are soft & have a shine too. Seeing me my sister has also started using it & is also very happy.

3. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I would think that dying your hair could damage your hair, I also agree with the hair stylist, your hair has to be maintained and conditoned. In addition, think that dye will go through your scalp, and the chemicals can affect your body. So too much dying can be bad over time.

4. Olin

OlinNew Member

Threads:
    Hi hummingbirdee,
    Yes you heard right because harsh chemicals damage not only hair, but also your skin and health. There are certain hair dyers available in the market which did not damage your hair. Before buying the hair dryer do check the label of the hair dryer.

5. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I found a great article on ehow.com about the dangers of hair dye.

Harmful Chemicals
    There are several chemicals found in hair dyes that can cause a person harm. They include: ammonia, coal tar, DMDM Hydantoin, lead acetate and PPD.
    Para-Phenylenediamine (PPD) is used to darken the hair and is listed by the Center for Disease Control as a potential allergen. PPD is commonly known to cause redness, soreness, itching, a burning sensation, and headaches. A report by the Journal of the National Cancer Institute states that prolonged exposure to dark hair dyes may increase the occurrence of various forms of cancer such as: bladder cancer, leukemia, breast cancer, and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

DMDM Hydantoin
    DMDM Hydantoin is a preservative found in hair dyes that has been given restricted usage in Japan. According the United States Food and Drug administration (the FDA), DMDM has been linked to immune system problems.

Sponsored Links

The Only Safe Hair Color
    Stay free from toxic chemicals with certified organic hair color

Coal Tar
    Coal tar is an ingredient in hair dyes and some dandruff shampoos, and according to the FDA, it can cause cancer in laboratory animals. The ingredient that is believed by the FDA found in coal tar that can cause cancer is called 4-methoxy-m-phenylenediamine.

Ammonia
    Ammonia is contained in hair dyes. Other than the nasty smell that ammonia creates, it can cause skin inflammation, coughing and difficulty breathing. Ammonia is often used in household cleaning products to create a bright, clean home.

Lead Acetate
    Lead acetate can also be potentially harmful when used many times to dye the hair. Lead was taken out of household paints years ago due to its potential risks. Lead is said to disrupt the function of the brain's neurotransmitters and can also cause blood clots, affect the sensory development and reduce intelligence levels.

Precautions
    Pregnant women are advised by health care professionals not to dye their hair. They are also advised not to even highlight the hair or use a hair color that is semi-permanent. The chemicals may cross over to the placenta, thus harming the fetus. Read the labels of hair dyeing products to steer away from these harmful chemicals.

Read more: What Are the Dangers of Permanent Hair Color? | eHow.com

6. clennzart

clennzartNew Member

Threads:
    I'm still single and I experienced dying my hair but there's no bad effect for me unlike my auntie that everytime she wanted to hide her gray hair she need to blacken her hair but the bad thing that may happen to her afterward is her eyes will turn into red. Any way aside from this topic do you know

?

7. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I started using a more natural hair dye when reports about the dangers of dyeing hair came out. There are many on the market now, and using them decreases the risk of harm that may come from them. The brand I use is herbatint, but there are a lot of other brands. I really like the results I get and there is no smell or irritation.

8. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I read somewhere that women who have natural blond hair shouldn't dye their hair dark colors because it's difficult to come back to their natural color. I don't know if it's true because I don't dye my hair. I've also heard a strange rumour that dyeing your hair, especially when the dye has contact with the skin, could sometimes cause cancer. I haven't found any medical evidence of that, though.

9. Drainbamaged

DrainbamagedNew Member

Threads:
    Sure, it is bad but it doesn't stop anyone from doing it. I've dyed my hair twice in my lifetime and I maintained it by visiting the hair salon regularly. So far, my hair has stayed soft and shiny. My natural curls are just as healthy as ever, which is the perhaps, the only thing about my hair that I would not do anything to. I will never straighten my hair, but I'll definitely dye it again

10. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    The common hair dyes contain a lot of harmful substances and for example, could cause an allergic reaction or eye injury, if you got the stuff into your eye.
    Also, the harsh smell will always make my eyes water when applying the dye. :/
    I don't know about the more natural alternatives.

11. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have had to die my hair for the last fifteen years. my hair became grey when i was quite young. I condition my hair well. I do a hot oil massage with castor oil twice a month. I use natural products like egg yolk and lemon to keep my hair shiny and healthy. I haven't had any issues with coloring my hair so far. It has remained thick and strong.
    You need to use a good hair color. Cheap ones really spoil your hair.

12. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    There are some dyes now that don't harm you hair but actually make you hair look and feel better. One that you can use that is natural is L'oreal Paris sublime mousse by healthy look and the Clairol Natural Instincts is good too.

13. Alma

AlmaNew Member

Threads:
    I have colored/die my hair a few times. I try not to do it often as I experience mild hair loss, dry scalp and hair. I maintain it with deep conditioning and oil treatments. However, I'm searching for other alternatives which are more natural. I've seen some natural and herbal extract dyes that I'm considering to use. Also, experimenting with natural treatment and care for my hair.

14. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't know. But I do think the manufacturers must know something because if they advise pregnant women not to use permanent dye on their hair, that's a red flag to me it's not for our health benefit. I think there are alternative color rinses for hair however the longevity of the color is a lot less, however safer.

15. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I think any type of chemical that is used on your hair for dying, perming, highlighting etc can be harmful. As someone pointed out the chemical smell can be unbearable for some, and in some cases people find that their scalp has a burning sensation due to an allergic reaction. Also, as pointed out not a good thing to do this while pregnant. So, do I dye my hair, I will admit out loud that yes I do. However, I make it a point to do it no more then every three months, and I tend to use the same product I used before knowing I had no problem with it before.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if it's bad for your health but i do know it can mess up your hair if you dye it too much. My sister is always dying her hair and i use to always tell her she didn't need to dye so much because it was going to mess up her hair she didn't believe me until one day she dyed it and when she took her cap off and washed her hair a lot of her hair fell out and it her hair was messed up big time the bottom of her hair looked like noodles and felt really rough it had look like her hair had been burnt.

17. jaindar343

jaindar343New Member

Threads:
    I think dying for my hair is bad for me. because i hate the dye hair.it is not looking good. so i never using the dye hair.

||

18. jane211

jane211Member

Threads:
    Just before Christmas I read a story about a lady who died after a severe reaction to using a hair dye. Stories like that certainly make me think twice about having my hair dyed.

When I was at college I used to use the wash in hair dye sachets and I never had any problem with those, but now the chemicals that are in hair dyes and other products concern me more.

Also, I've had contact dermatitis recently so I would be extra careful about using something that I hadn't patch tested first.

19. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I have dyed my hair a million times at home and luckily nothing personally happened to me. But my hair feels very brittle and stiff afterwards to point i can't comb it. I recently switched dyes and the one im using now is better.

20. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I've heard a lot about hair dyes myself and I know I can only use a certain kind after a bad reaction with a permanent hair dye I once used. I use the one that is only in the hair for two weeks and it's called Jazzin and it seems to treat me really well. It makes the hair soft and shiny. But I wish there was another way to color the hair. I haven't had a bad reaction since, I do it myself at home.