Is eating organic too expensive

Discussion in Food & Drink started by irishways • May 22, 2014.

1. irishways

irishwaysNew Member

Threads:
    I thought I would try the local farmers market last weekend for some good healthy produce for a Sunday lunch. I brought a chicken, potatoes, broccoli, swede and carrot's. The whole meal cost more than taking my family to McDonalds. It does seem a bit wrong that it's cheaper to feed your family junk over fresh and natural.What do you think. Maybe I will just grow my own veg, and raise some chicks.

2. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, that kind of food from a Farmer's market or not, *should* cost more than taking the kids to McDonalds. There is no comparison of the two.

I have actually saved money with our year round farmer's market and other farmer's markets, roadside stands, etc. Here, organic costs more in a store than those kinds of places.

Plus, how is value determined? Cost or the cost of not having to go to the doctor, from something that could be prevented from food? The list goes on and on.

I feel SO much better, there is a vitality that I can't put a price on with natural food.

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not so sure about the *should cost more* in the statement above mine.

Yes, it DOES cost more. Yes, they have reason to charge more SOMETIMES. However, there are instances where you would think the savings of buying directly from a farmer would translate more in the prices. I found it's cheaper to have a direct relationship with the farmer than it is to shop at a farmer's market. It really depends on how invested you want to be. Also, organic foods are not exclusive to farmer's markets and farmer's markets do not always sell organic foods.

McDonalds is always going to be the cheap option when compared to other forms of shopping because that's their business model: How cheap can we make it in price, preparation, and ingredients

4. irishways

irishwaysNew Member

Threads:
    Our farmers markets are one of the most expensive places to shop. The supermarkets sell organic at a reasonable price, but I wouldn't say it was grown local. I agree with the medical cost, (though we have NHS) prevention is always best.

5. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    You are lucky. Ours are the other way around. Overall tho, I've really saved money eating mostly organic. I know it won't make sense to some, but it has been for me. Also, I find it's a combination of things. I save gas by buying at the grocery store, organic or not, as the farmer's market is not really close by. So it can be a trade off sometimes.

I grow my own herbs, etc, but lately growing veggies has not worked out for one reason or another. What I love about the quality of the farmer's markets here and those one on one road side stands, is that they remember you and give you extra. I have seen this with others, often. And for me, also, without me even asking or hinting, or looking pitiful, lol.

Organic at the store may be small tomatoes and farmer's market tomatoes may be larger tomatoes, for example, another savings if they are sold by the basket, not by the pound. I love them being sold by the basket as they usually are bargains here.

It's a tougher question than it looks apparently, as everywhere varies. But like I said, overall, I have saved money. People in person look at me incredulously when I say that, but yes, but it's true.

6. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    It's very funny because eating healthily and choosing organic products here in my town (not in the whole country) is way cheaper than eating at places like MC Donald's.

It's because almost everybody is planting their own vegetables and many of us are growing chicken. When we sell our vegetables at the market we have to charge people cheaper because usually there are more organic products on sell than buyers at the market.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, of course eating organic will be too expensive as compared to just eating fast food or normal food. That's why they're more expensive because they're supposed to be healthier. But I won't get suckered into buying organic because I'm on a budget. And besides, if you cook your own food and avoid fast food and other unhealthy foods, then you're already eating organic food in that sense.

8. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I would understand why organic products sold at farmers markets are priced higher. One main reason for this is that their produce were not mass produced with chemical booster fertilizers. Even with the higher price, I will prefer to buy organically grown food if I take into consideration the health risks I will be able to avoid in the future.
    We live near the public market and we buy from smaller stores or vegetable peddlers carrying baskets or pushing carts. Most of these fruits and veggies they sell come from their back yard. We're fortunate that the prices of their goods are not that high either.

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know about other countries, but here in the UK it is INCREDIBLY expensive, the majority of the country just about get by on the money they earn and it certainly doesn't include paying for organic food. If they lowered the price then I believe more people would take to it, but then again I suppose it costs more to produce it so it is a vicious circle.

10. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    The Farmer's markets around my area also can be a bit pricy. While you may be buying fresh produce, some of the items offered at a farmer's market are organic and other are not - but I feel that they are all fresher than in the grocery stores. for us, the way to save is to go to the farms directly as they don't have to transport produce or rent a stall at the market. This is a viable option where I am to do this on my bike (makes for a medium length ride).

I agree that is it nonsense that buying fast food is cheaper than healthy food. It is a real shame that those who have to really watch their budgets will find fast food cheaper. One can, however, buy healthy non-organic foods for less than a meal at the local McDonalds.

11. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    It certainly is, especially when you're on a low budget. When I have lots of money to spare I will always go for organic, but sometimes if my budget if severely stretched then I will have no option but to buy non-organic food. There are some items that I will always buy organic like eggs and milk. I suppose it's because I can tell the difference, and I would rather go without than buy the cheap version.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you look at it like that, yes, it will be cheaper to feed your family garbage. First, it's true.. if you pay for healthcare, you'll be paying far more for a garbage diet in the long run. It does catch up with you. Second.. you have to look at the whole picture.. not just a chicken vs happy meal lol. Overall, I spend far less on food shopping with local farmers than I ever did eating garbage. Don't compare prices of individual foods. Compare entire grocery bills. And do it once your body is used to eating right all the time, because the amount of food you will need will change as well. I'm not hungry after I eat real food. Give me a box of something though and I'm hungry shortly after.. so it would be real food vs whatever amount of food I have to eat to fill me the same way. So yes.. overall, not product vs product.

13. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    In addition to what I already said, it's just so crazy that the world makes us put an adjective on the word 'organic'. It should be the other way around to pesticide laden food. I remember when all food was organic, and it was just food.

14. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, organic food is pretty costly here in the States, but when you go over to Europe, it's a whole 'nother world. There are no chemicals or MSG in any of their food products, and it's all standard price! (My experience was mainly in England, Wales and France) Which, for someone who grew up eating organic food her entire and still gets sick from MSG, is a dream come true! I could eat fast food without worrying about getting sick or what kind of nasty chemicals I could be ingesting, and it was cheap which is awesome for my bank account. I was in heaven, food wise, other there.

Now, here in the States/America, is a different creature entirely. Eating organic food here at home can get hecka expensive, really quick. I mean, you're getting high quality foods that won't give you cancer, so it's worth every penny, but unfortunately, not many people can afford it. Which sucks, because I'm one of those people that really can't afford it. I try and buy certain things organic, always, like meats and dairy, but for other things, I have to fudge it. Which annoys me, because the chemicals really mess me up, and make me ill most of the time. Hopefully, some day soon, America can change the way is makes and processes it's food, but I think it might be a while still before they will completely outlaw MSG in food.

As for growing a garden for fresh veggies, go for it! I live in Jersey, and we plants tomatoes every year (of course we conform to the stereotype, right?) and we've got them fresh all year long! Which is great during cook-outs or summer parties. Want some tomato on your burger? You can just pick one fresh off the plant! Though, I would thoroughly research plants that grow best in your area. Some areas and plants will work together wonderfully, while others won't. For instance, where I live, we cannot grow zucchini for the life of us. We've tried for several years in a grow, but due to the moisture in the air from the ocean, the blooms always mold and rot off before it can become a zucchini. The leaves do great in the bright, hot sun, but the veggies themselves. Not so much. We can't seem to grow strawberries either, for some weird reason. So yeah, do some research and get digging! ;)

15. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    The price has been a big deterrent for me to try more organic foods. I just don't see the need to spend extra for the same exact fruits and vegetables, especially when on a budget. Until prices become equal for organic and non-organic foods, then I just don't see myself switching over.

It is pretty ridiculous though that fast food can be cheaper than an organic healthier lunch.

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, going organic would mean spending a little more. The norm nowadays is that the healthier the food is, the more expensive it is. So, it should be not a surprise when junk foods are cheaper than the ones that are not. Those fruits and vegetables grown organically are more expensive because they are free from the harmful substances that may have been incurred from the pesticides sprayed on those grown with pesticide. They are also free from the bad effects of the genetically modified crops because they are not genetically modified. Fast foods and other junk foods may be cheap, but they they are bad for the health. They are made of chemicals and substances that may harm the body.

17. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    That can be get in a good price when we actually see how we can keep ourselves good at understanding the uses of something specifically and at the same time there are ways which are fine enough to bother their uses and that works.

18. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some organic food delivery companies which charge about the same amount of money for groceries as what you'd spend at the store. Since they save you the need to go to the store and possibly spending money on other things you didn't plan to buy [apart from gas] you'd save money buying organic food anyway. So for me, I don't think that organic food is more expensive all the time.

19. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    For my family and the financial situation we are in right now (not bad by any means but we could be doing better), yes organic is definitely more expensive. It's ridiculous that you can get a hamburger for $0.99 but fresh fruits and vegetables cost twice as much. Surely people aren't still wondering why Americans are obese.

I personally do not believe the hype surrounding organic foods. I think at the end of the day if you are eating balanced meals (organic or not), drinking water, and staying active then you are going to be just fine. I'm sorry but I just can't justify doubling my monthly grocery just for a bag of carrots that says "organic" on the package.

20. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To save money on organic food, it's best if you start growing your own if you can. Even if you have only a small place, you can still grow some herbs and vegetables inn pots. If you have a garden available, it's not difficult to prepare a patch and plant seedlings.
    I also recommend farmer's markets for fresh produce. As for all other organic or ecological products, I find that some supermarkets compete with health food stores by selling the same healthy brands for less money. So, all in all, organic food doesn't have to be more expensive than conventional food.