Is Electric Heating Ever Cheaper Than Gas?

Discussion in Heating started by Hedonologist • Feb 5, 2015.

1. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I think for everyone, gas costs are lower per kilowatt than electric, in my case electricity is 3 times as expensive, however electric heating allows you to concentrate heating in specific areas.

Are there any cases where electric heating is cheaper?

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I presume you're talking about natural gas that is piped into the home? In some areas, people don't have access to it. The best they can get is propane, with a large tank in the yard. There have been times was propane was so ridiculous that investigations into price gouging occurred. Electric heat was definitely cheaper, and at least you know about how much it's going to cost you. The price of propane can fluctuate drastically, and some companies will let you freeze if you get behind.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I really do not know much about gas or natural gas as we are using electricity for cooking and for heating. While we have a natural gas connection in our home, we don't use it because for us it poses more danger than using electricity. Gas or using natural gas according to my husband is much cheaper compared to electricity, but then we do not want to take that risk. Although using electricity has also its own risk, but it poses less danger than gas.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never really compared the prices. It seems like forever since I last used gas! For the very longest time I've used electricity only. I'm a bit wary of gas, to be honest. You always hear of all these nasty explosions in which lives are lost or people are badly injured. But then you've also got the convenience of gas, especially when you live in Botswana where we get load shedding from time to time.

I'm willing to bet gas works out cheaper, on the whole.

5. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I think there are a lot of factors to consider. If you live in the warmer climates and you only need a little heat occasionally, then electric may be for you. If you only need a room here and there, I would actually suggest getting an infrared heater and wheel it from room to room. If you live in a colder climate, then I would not suggest heating an entire home with electric. That would be very expensive.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would take a new type of electric heater (a product of innovation and genius minds) to overtake the cost-efficiency that gas-fuelled heaters are known to provide. But it's usually like this: electric heaters will always be more pricey than gas heaters. Fume-wise, you're safe. If you don't know how to use gas heaters, it would work to your disadvantage and cause you inconvenience contrary to your initial intention.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I come from the premise that electric heating is cheaper than gas. I have compared the prices and come to that conclusion. The price of gas also keeps fluctuating and the companies trading in gas have formed cartels so there is no real competition between them.