Is going to bookstores still worth it?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by broknkyboard • Dec 13, 2013.

1. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I used to go to bookstore whenever I can because I like the atmosphere and am able to browser books, which is a great experience. Now, I don't go to the bookstore like I used to because I don't read as much as I used to too. I only go to the bookstore if I have found something that I really like such as books written by my favorite authors. I miss the bookstore experience though, and I would like to go again when I have the time.

2. yambfas

yambfasMember

Threads:
    Oh, I love going to bookstores and libraries! Even if I am not planning to buy anything, I enjoy the environment, whether it is a chain store (Barnes and Noble) or a small, local store. I've been opposed to the idea of e-books (for myself - I have no problem with others using them) But I did just buy a Nook to use for work recently, and I will probably try out an e-book to see if I like it. But I doubt that I'll ever stop going to bookstores or buying books.

3. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    Now that I have become accustomed to my kindle fire, I no longer utilize any bookstores...I can now obtain books for just as good of a price, if not better

4. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    It's been a really long time since I've been in a new bookstore, so for those, I do have to say that it isn't worth it for me.

However, we have Half Price Books here and given the fact that I prefer traditional books over e-books, I do find that going there is worth it to me because I can get the books that I want to read and for a price that I am able to afford.

5. crazycroc

crazycrocMember

Threads:
    I agree, although book stores are nice and I am also not a fan of eBooks because I like a physical book in front of me, Amazon is usually much cheaper. I can't say that I've ever been to a book signing though.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have something to confess. I have not entered a bookstore in months. I love reading. But recently, I never found the need to ever go to a bookstore. I found all the books I need online. I have tons of eBooks now that I have downloaded both free and paid that have helped me a lot in my activities. Is it still worth it to go to a bookstore? Yep. The only difference now is that bookstores have very stiff competition.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Don't get me wrong, I have a kindle and definitely love it, but nothing can take the place of a visit to a good book store or library. The experience itself, paging through books, walking and having coffee among hundreds of books...not something the kindle can replicate.

8. fruii29

fruii29Member

Threads:
    I think going to a bookstore still works for me. I still find good finds whenever I go to bookstore. But I also checked what items are there online. You can also find good finds on the net. You get to have that value of your money even if you're just shopping online.

For me, I try to enjoy the best of both worlds.

9. kavoric

kavoricNew Member

Threads:
    It's just more convenient to finds books online on your tablet. You'd be saving a lot on gas, if you didn't have to go to the bookstore so often. I'm pretty sure that pdf format books are a little more cheap than buying a book or hard cover.

10. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I will always choose a bookstore. If nothing else then for the experience. Books are much more likely to catch your eye in a store than they are online. There is also no delay for postage. If you live far away then it might be a problem but if you close enough to a city with a large bookstore I would always opt for the bookstore.

11. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    I love going to bookstores for a browse before I buy something on Amazon. I love flipping through the books and getting a feel for them. I would love to be able to buy them right there but it's just too expensive for me right now.

12. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I do believe that physical copies of books are much more authentic (so to speak) than ebooks. I do find it very convenient if reading a few books at a time to use an ereader but that's aside from the fact. I do still believe that book stores are worth it. Some of the book stores in my area offer great deals on books that really just can't be beat. When it comes to places like Barnes & Noble though, I will say I find it very difficult to purchase any books as they just seem so overpriced. They are still looking to uphold a certain image of "best book store" and I'd like to see them offer some better deals in the near future.

13. cmluepke

cmluepkeNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, I think you can't beat Half Price Books for a great bookstore experience. They have a huge variety of content, usually very cheap, especially in the clearance section. I've almost never been dissapointed when stopping in, and it's a great place to go for birthday or holiday gifts!

14. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    Amazon has made them obsolete in my opinion. The kindle editions mean instant delivery and rock bottom prices.

15. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I can't get into the whole e-book thing. I just don't like reading that way. I love being able to hold a book in my hand. I go to the library pretty frequently, but when I have a book I really love, I do like to buy it. However, unless it's a newly-released book, I prefer to buy it used. I just can't see spending the money on a brand new book, when a used one does the same thing. I mostly buy all my books used off the internet.

16. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I am sad. Many bookstores around me have closed. They have a calming, safe atmosphere so I like going there. They're a nice place to sit and relax. I admit I like eBooks more than physical books because they can't get lost or damaged and I tend to read on my computer more.

17. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Well it's a lot faster for one. Even with premium delivery you usually have to wait a day for dispatch and a day for delivery. With a bookstore you can get it as soon as you can get there. Also It's and enjoyable experience to browse. You may see other interesting titles while you are there at the store.

18. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I am a fan of dusty old books. Used bookstores are great for browsing. The large big box stores are fall less appealing to me. Unless I am looking for a reference type book - an atlas or similar, or a coffee table book, I wouldn't even consider buying a new paper copy these days.

19. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I stil like the feel of real books and are far as used or rare books, going to a bookstore to browse is still a treat. I am sure the e market has cut in to sales, but I think book stores will still be around in a 100 years.

20. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    People go to the book store to look for some books which are rare to find. Alternatively these days most of the books have a digital copy so you can buy them online on different online stores.