Is HP guilty of poor quality hardware?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Esperahol • May 14, 2012.

1. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We have an HP desktop that is still going strong after seven years of use. I would not be afraid to buy another HP product after owning this desktop. I think a lot of computer companies have had their ups and downs over the last ten years. I don't think HP was as bad as some of the other companies out there were.

2. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently using a Compaq laptop that is managed by HP and I have no complaints! This laptop has been with me for almost six years and besides being slightly slower and getting warmer more easily, I've not had much issues with it at all! I find it really reliable in terms of the product, and customer care was awesome! Two months after I got the laptop, the motherboard failed (or rather burned out) and I was told it was an isolated issue. I was skeptical at first, thinking HP was probably a load of crap, but they proved me otherwise. They sent their people to my doorstep to collect my laptop, had it fixed within a few days and sent it back to me good as new. I've never had a single issue with it since and I believe that the issue I faced was really a case of bad luck but not a low quality product. I trust the brand and I would go back to them if I need a new computer anytime!

3. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    I had an HP printer which conked out not too long after I bought it, though I did get quite a bit of use out of it. So I went and got another, better one and the thing has been wonderful, if just a bit quirky but it works great. That is all I know.
    I am wondering about the other printer, whether I had a bad printer cartridge or something like that.

4. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it's not the product that's faulty it's the people using the product makes it wear down faster. If you don't know about computers I'm sure your computer won't last. I can easily tell who keeps their merchandise in working order, and who doesn't have a clue what they're doing. All the manufacturers are about the same when it comes to building PC's, but ultimately it's how you use it determines if it will stand the test of time.

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Every single person I know that has owned an HP or currently owns an HP computer has continually had difficulties. So yes, the company can be guilty for having a terrible quality brand. I'm surprised they're still producing computers and they're not that cheap either.

6. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    You need to look at the company as a whole, and not just a couple of people you know. If you read through the replies in this thread it's clear that HP has credible products. You can't just dwell on the negative because there are more positive replies on this thread.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Okay, here is an experiment. Go to Google or really the search engine of your choice and type in something like HP problem or HP computer died or HP laptop not working and see how many hits you get. It happens alot and many, many people complain aobut it. Even on this thread you have a significant number of poor reviews. Of course, in your opinion it is the people who are the issue and not the hardware.

8. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    They're a fairly middle of the road company. Their computers aren't particularly good or reliable, but they're very cheap for the technical specs you get out of them.

If you do buy something from them, make sure you have a year or two warranty and you should be fine. If it breaks, send it in for another, eventually you'll get one that lasts. From my experience their issue comes from durability, not the actual quality of the merchandise, should it not break down.

9. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I must say that my HP Pavillion has been a work horse. I've had it for 4 years and I'm only replacing it because it has hit the ceiling with upgrades.

I'm also typing this post from an HP netbook computer. Two years old and still running strong.

10. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    You can Google any company and see negative posts, that doesn't mean the product is inferior. Check out the overall statistics of the company in terms of failure rate, then make a decision based on those numbers. Googling something about a computer not working does nothing, it's not an accurate portrayal of the company. Every computer has malfunctions even Mac book pros, but you didn't say anything about that did you? Why don't you try to Google that company and see how many bad reviews that has before you bash another company.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It seems that you are taking this conversation a bit personal. Do you work or worked for HP? I'm sure every computer company has people who will complain about their products, but this thread is specifically for HP. You can't fault people for their personal experiences or opinions. I have owned a Compaq laptop and a HP desktop. I was not happy with either product. I choose not to buy another HP computer.

HP used to make superior laser printers. That's where HP excels. In most of the corporations and businesses I have worked for had HP printers. They were excellent and reliable.

12. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    I have had HP desktops in the past and they have never let me down. However, my old HP laptop was an absolute nightmare as all it seemed to do was overheat and crash...

13. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't work for them I just want people to realize that a couple of malfunctions, you can't label the whole company bad. It's your opinion if you like one brand over another, but to say it's horrible it's inaccurate. You don't want to give people false information about a company, not just this one, but any company being discussed on the threads.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Our office at one of my former jobs had HPs and Dells. The HPs were constantly failing on us at a higher rate than the Dells, so I had always bought and recommended Dell for myself and others. However, since 2006 I've had 4 Dell computers die on me, two of them I only had for about a year. I've given up on Dell as well and recently switched all my laptops, desktops, and tablet over to Lenovo. They make the IBM Thinkpads - those things are built like tanks, but expensive. They have consumer level lines of computers as well which I've been very pleased with. I also read that they are on pace to beat HP and become the largest PC manufacturer in the world. The article mentioned that they run their company on small profit margins - which translates to the consumer that you're getting more bang for your buck with their systems - they're not cutting corners to make more profit. Even their entry level laptops have a nice build quality to them and feel solid. I was looking at an HP at the store a few months ago that was a similar price, and the lid was so flimsy you could bend it with one finger.

15. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I bought an HP Pavilion g series laptop in October and now it's already having overheating issues. It shuts down on me and doesn't charge because it gets so hot.

16. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    Oh my, Compaq... I shudder just thinking about their laptops. The cases feel like yoghurt containers they're so thin...

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Lenovo laptops. I have two ThinkPads. They are very durable, travel well and can take a lot of abuse. I own two. Lenovo is getting into desktops too. Lenovo is the number two computer manufacturer and are rapidly approaching the top spot.

I bought my Compaq years ago before the HP merger. That thing weighed a ton.

18. neovlad

neovladMember

Threads:
    I have had my HP laptop for 2 years now that is longer than any of my laptops had survived before. I had an Acer that overheated and broke after a year right after the warranty and i had a Toshiba that had its screen turn black after a year and a half. I have never heard of anyone saying that HP have bad reviews. Maybe I just got lucky with my laptop but overall i think HP is a great brand.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think most computers these days aren't really geared towards upgrades and durability since the prices on them have been coming down so much. Why spend a couple hundred dollars upgrading an old machine's hardware or OS when you could just put it towards a new one that's only a few hundred dollars total to begin with?

20. QueenPisces

QueenPiscesNew Member

Threads:
    I first brought an HP Desktop in 2006 because at that time I believe it was one of the best computer brands, The first year went smoothly, but after that I always had problems with it, I sent it in to HP and the first time they fixed it for free since I was still under warranty. However, a couple of years later I called HP again and this time they declared my computer was "defective" meaning no hardware could fix it and it was pretty much of no use.

Now I currently use a laptop my brother has given to me and I'm trying to save up to purchase an Apple Macbook.