Is it a waste to buy DVDs?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by andrew320 • Sep 24, 2012.

1. Akiyama

AkiyamaNew Member

Threads:
    Well for me personally, I think that it is actually worth buying DVDs, but only if you have actually seen the movie before and wouldnt mind seeing it again from time to time. I have a netflix account and I usually just stream movies from using that, but if I really enjoy a movie, I go ahead and buy the DVD as well just for a bit of peace of mind in case I decide to get rid of netflix in the future.

2. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    If a person does buy a DVD, chances are they will watch the movie more than once, just because they have it . Some people may trade DVD's with friends.

3. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Pretty much because the movies end up on regular tv anyway that next couple of weeks. And plus some people have netflix or they order the movie with their cable provider.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I never buy DVDs. I always rent or I borrow them from the library. I don't see why people buy movies unless they really love them an watch them more than 3 times. It just seems like a waste of money. I would rather spend that money investing it into my savings or retirement account.

5. Cyrup

CyrupMember

Threads:
    I usually rent movies or Torrent them online. *Cough* YARRR PIRATE *End-cough*.
    Unless it's a small company or independent film, they most likely don't need my hard earned money.
    I only ever buy DVD's if I absolutely love the film, so I can keep it like it's a sort of prize, or treasure.

6. BarryLejieg

BarryLejiegNew Member

Threads:
    Well if you are a collector, then nothing is a waste. But I prefer to download all the movies from torrent nowadays, and some of the movies I download, I put them in the media center of my home, only those that are really great movies.

However, I used to buy a lot of DVD movies (when internet connection was very slow). Now I have in my DVD collection over 200 movies (they are all pirated DVDs).

7. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I don't watch movies over and over. I don't like watching them that often at home so buying them doesn't fit for me unless it's a Disney movie. I am buying some Disney movies for when my son will want to watch them when he's a bit older. I really don't rent movies either though, I'm just not a big tv person. In the past I have probably done an even amount of renting vs. buying, but like I said it's not often so I couldn't go broke from it or anything.

8. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I'd prefer to rent a DVD than to buy it. I feel that buying a DVD is a waste of money as well because I usually only watch the movie once before I get sick of it. I'd much rather rent a $1 New Release DVD at RedBox than to buy that same New Release for $25 at Walmart.

9. vjykmr89

vjykmr89Member

Threads:
    No they're not a waste of money. They're not going away any time soon for one simple reason - most people could care less about blu-ray and are not going to replace their DVD players with blu-ray players. The better question is BLU RAY a waste of money.

10. heycoco

heycocoNew Member

Threads:
    I used to rent DVDs when it was still a thing. When DVDs came out cheaper after a couple months, I started buying instead of renting. Atleast I'd get to keep them, and just put them on when I wanna re-watch them. But now I usually download movies on the internet. ;)

11. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Aside from what most of us say that those who buy DVDs are those who'd love to watch them multiple times, there are also some, like me, who buy it for the sentimental value. In short, I love this movie, I love it so much that I want a DVD of it as a sort of "embodiment", in a way. I'm not sure I've made myself clear. Hence, the only DVDs I get are those with special features or trinkets, like the Harry Potter DVDs and the recent Avengers one.

12. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    It totally depends on the film. We never just buy a DVD outright. We purchase movies that we enjoy and have seen previously either as a rental or in a movie theater. I am embarrassed to admit that I watch The Elf whenever it gets closer to the holiday season, at least 3 times a year. So obviously, this is a DVD that we purchased.

13. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I personally splurge on my TV - I have the best package offered by DirecTV so I get all of the premium channels. I usually can get my fix from that - there are too many movies to choose from and I would never even watch all of the ones offered on TV. Plus, I use Netflix - and that's another set of movies that I'll never have the time to watch all of.

But, I think there's something special about owning DVDs. It's the same as collecting vinyl. It's a hard, physical copy of someone's hard work and efforts that you appreciated so much that you paid for it. Sure, if you have no disposable income and you're out there buying DVDs instead of groceries, then you have a budgeting problem.

14. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I haven't bought a DVD in the longest time, I am beginning to think it is a bit of a waste personally. I have netflix, and it basically gives me everything I need. I think if there was a specific show or something I loved that wasn't on netflix, my opinion might be different.

15. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of buying DVD movies. I mostly rent them, or I will go online and watch movie by streaming them from Netflix. I think the only way that I will purchase a DVD movie from the store is that it would have to be good. And I am prepared to watch the movie over and over again.

16. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    I think with Redbox and Netflix, buying DVD's has become a niche. People just aren't willing to fork out $15-$20 for a single movie anymore. A lot of movies have degraded in terms of quality. There are way too many horrible movies that should have been good and were hyped very well. I use Redbox to watch a movie.

17. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I rent my DVD's these days as I only watch a movie a few times before becoming bored of it. I do own a few movie's but only ones a consider classics and timeless.

18. Cyclone3616

Cyclone3616Member

Threads:
    I think it is a waste, unless you are going to watch the movie over and over again. With great movie and TV services like Hulu Plus, Netflix, Redbox, and Fios On Demand, it's easy to get 50 percent off on movies if you are just going to watch them once. You can also buy movies online, so there is now no need go out and buy DVDs.

19. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    I hate having to buy a dvd that's just gonna sit on my table. That's just not worth it. I only buy the dvd if it's my personal favorite since it's so expensive. Otherwise, I just go and rent it.

20. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    The thing here is that it depends on the person. If it is his happiness to buy DVDs for him to watch then we should just respect it. Sometimes when you buy things and you see it in your drawer, you find yourself smiling. That is the feeling that not everyone could understand.