Is it a waste to buy DVDs?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by andrew320 • Sep 24, 2012.

1. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I think there are a couple of factors. One is what you pay for the DVD? Is it a $5 purchase or . . ? If I buy a title for $5 or even $10 and I watch it once and still have it in the movie library, well that is not too bad. And if I rent it, and I have to return it and for some reason I have not watched it, well then I have really tossed the money away. I got 13th Warrior, a Beowulf-based film, a few months back. I have seen it once and actually am pleased to have a copy for the dvd library. All for $5. And I knew what I was getting. I had read the book previously.
    Ryder13

2. dhrynio

dhrynioMember

Threads:
    I fidn them a waste. I am trying really hard to convince my husband that we will be ok if we get rid of all dv's, but I am not sure how successful I will be. We still have two boxes of VHS tapes under the stairs.

3. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I usually pick up used copies a few months after a movie is released on DVD. I'll also get some at Walmart out if the $5.99 bin. On occasion I'll buy one as soon as its released, but that's usually because it's a family favorite, and I know we'll get a lot if use out of it.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing is.. how do you know it's a movie you will only watch once, if you are seeing it for the first time? :) You can always sell a DVD if you don't like it, so, for many movie lovers, this is the better option.

For me.. I barely watch movies, and I prefer all my media digital, because I don't like to have a ton of discs laying around - so I definitely am not buying DVDs unless they cost some very insignificant amount. But I can understand why movie buffs would prefer to. :)

5. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    Personally, I buy DVDs if they are on sale. This is because then they are as costly or even cheaper then digital downloads, so I wouldn't mind picking up a few. Other than that though, is just wasteful.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I love having a nice sized collection of good movies. I think there's something about actually having your own copy of something and not just renting it, if you like it at all. Same with books....I have a kindle and I love it, but sometimes it's just a totally different feeling to actually physically *have* the book. If I enjoy a movie I'll definitely buy it, and between my husband and myself we have a decent collection. Now I know some people that don't rent or watch a movie at all and buy it, without ever seeing it. That's...odd, to me. And potentially a waste of money/time.

7. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The way i do it is i wait till it hits directv buy it from there watch it if i like it than i get the dvd if not that i don't. For me dvds aren't a waste because that's all my daughter watches is dvds off her favortie disney movies and i get them for pretty good prices so it works out.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have lots of DVDs. I love movies and I love being able to look at what I want when I want, not just what is available for renting or instant view or netflix and hulu. DVDs are more convenient than watching online unless you have all the various devices, which I don't. Plus, I like to look at the extras that come with the movies. I get them at Big Lots for cheap and if I don't like them I can give them away or resell them.

9. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I am someone who wouldn't spend money on a random dvd especially if I didn't love the movie. In order for me to make a justifiable dvd purchase I must love the movie and it would have to be listed or said if I was to tell someone my favorite movie purchase.

10. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    The DVDs or blu-rays I purchase are of movies I would really love to have in my collection such as favorite Disney classics that would soon be kept in their vault only to reappear after I'm dead. Other movies I buy on DVD are those that are rewatchable and those that I absolutely fell in love with at the movie theater. Otherwise, all others are rentals.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only buy DVDs for movies or TV shows that I really enjoy. I still like watching stuff on my TV screen. Streaming is nice, but I prefer to use my computer to get work done.

12. gabstaff

gabstaffMember

Threads:
    I think it is a waste to buy any NEW movies in DVD form. Any new movies I buy they will be Blu-ray. But I still hang on to my DVD's though. I don't find it useful to replace my DVD with blu-ray. I still have VHS tapes of stuff that is not even on DVD.

13. Duskre

DuskreNew Member

Threads:
    I don't think its a waste to buy DVDs. Since you'd buy it for a specific purpose to watch stuff on the TV. There are also DVD-RW which are rewritable, meaning you can delete the files on the disk and place new ones in them. Thus they are reusable which is great for saving money if you tend to only use the DVD for one or two times only.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a friend that buys $10-$15 DVDs of movies he hasn't seen yet. That seems risky to me because it might turn out to be a waste if he ends up not liking the movie.

I do still buy DVD's but I'm very picky and only buy DVD's of movies I love and would be happy to watch again and again. My Kill Bill Vol. 1 DVD has probably been viewed 50 or 60 times in the past few years. When I love a movie, I have to have it. But if it's just an okay movie, I can watch it online.

15. JPDunlap

JPDunlapNew Member

Threads:
    Nah, I like to express my taste in movies by having shelves stacked with movies surrounding my TV. Haha. Most of the time, if there's a movie I was really wanting to see, but just ended up forgetting about it, I'll buy it. Or If I rent a movie and I really like it, I'll buy it. But I'm not a big critic when it comes to movies, so I have quite a bit. :D

16. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I don't really see why I even buy DVDs, because I won't even watch it right then and there. And when i get ready to watch it, its already being played on television a thousand times.

17. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    It's one of those things i hate with the technology, because after some years you will be having the same movie in VHS, laser disc, DVD, Bluray, HDD, HD-DVD, 2XSOCD, Floppy disk... and the list goes on and on.

I do want to watch my favorite movies of all time with the best quality that exists, but damn, i ain't made of money!

18. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy DVDs than rent them because I often watch them more than once and don't wish to pay $5 every time I want to slap in a a film or a stand-up comedy show. :)

19. Khronic

KhronicNew Member

Threads:
    I often watch movies on websites that are often a little not legal if you catch my drift. I know it's a pretty bad practice, but I don't feel any guilt doing it. Although the quality is bad, it doesn't phase me that much, if the movie is really good I buy it on BluRay. That goes for a lot of things that are digital these days. I will often get it by not so legal means, and if I like it, I buy it. This is true for Adobe Premiere Pro, 3DS Max, some other programs, various video games and of course movies. I just feel like shelling out loads of money for something that I may not like isn't that great if I can try it out for free.

20. steam455

steam455New Member

Threads:
    I personally prefer buying the movie over going to the theaters. For the same price I can watch the movie as many times as I want and whenever I want, while by buying a movie ticket I see it once with a bunch of strangers. Buying the DVDs is just an obvious choice to me.