Is it better to surprise or to know what to get?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Esperahol • Jun 27, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I learned at an early age not to surprise my mother when it came to getting her gifts. She really doesn't like surprises and most people I know do seem to dislike outright surprises. Is it better to just go ahead and ask them or will you take your chances and like guess?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I usually do a bit of detective work by asking those close to the recipient if there's anything they'd particularly like. Or I might bring up the topic of what I want to buy, to get an idea if it would be appreciated. If I really have no idea whether someone will like a gift or not, I'll send an Amazon voucher, so that they can have fun choosing something they want. Where women are concerned, I often send flowers - I don't know anyone in my circle of family and friends who doesn't appreciate a nice bunch of flowers.

3. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I would make it a surprise. If I care enough about a particular person to buy a gift for that person, I would also know what that person likes or dislikes. So the problem of an unwanted gift is minimized.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the person I am getting the gift for. My kids always seemed to have a whole bunch of stuff that they were wanting. I would usually get them a gift based on that. For others, I like to get a gift based on their likes and interests and make it a surprise.

5. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I am not one for surprises - I don't like knowing that a surprise gift is coming because I feel like now I owe that person something too and kind of feel thoughtless when it happens. However, I like to surprise others. For example, I just got my mother Basic Instinct from Victoria Secret. Its her favorit fragrance and they only have it certain times of the year because it is discontinued. I know she hasn't had a new bottle in about 2 years and a friend of mine found a small amount of them for sale at their Semi-Annual Sales event. I had her buy it for me and gave her the cash and I will be surprising my mother with it on Sunday just because. In this case I know she will love it and it is just random - if it were there other way around I would feel obligated to give her a gift back. I guess I just can't take things for free. It has to be my birthday.

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    My mother also does not respond well to surprise gifts...unless it is chocolate or money - that she always responds very well to. In my case, I love surprises and always appreciate what is given to me, Life is too valuable and fun not to. I do now, tend to ask questions weeks in advance in order to ascertain what it is they are needing...and I go from there.

Otherwise, a store gift voucher - then they can choose. Lol. Seems to keep all happy and saves me time and energy too.

7. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I always surprise my fiancee with gifts. Just last week I purchased her a dress and I get her random things throughout the year. I personally prefer surprises, but then I feel like I have to get the person a gift. In general, don't get me any gifts at all. That would be much obliged!

8. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Surprises ultimately depend on my mood. I don't think anyone would want a surprise if they've been feeling sour the whole day, for example. Most of the time, I do like them, especially if they're a "pleasant" surprise, and by that, I mean a surprise I like.

9. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I like giving surprise gifts and receiving them as well for that matter. The only problem with me giving one is, that I get so excited about buying and giving it, especially if I know that it is something they want. I have to be so careful not to spoil the surprise by accidentally telling them about the gift before I give it to them.

10. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    For me, I would have to go with knowing what to get, because I'm a bit clueless when it comes to what people want. I have quite an air head and I usually like to ask them up front about ideas and such, as well as having someone close give me an idea of what they want as well. Otherwise I might end up getting them a gift that they wont even use, haha.

11. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not good at surprises and I am afraid to buy things for people and give it to them as a surprise because they may not like it at all, I would choose to just ask them what they want rather than buying things which I am not sure if will make them satisfied.

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I thank everyone for their replies and it is very interesting to hear how many folks here love surprises... I would still be terrified to buy you anything.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love giving surprises the problem is the surprise is not always well received. So now I will give a gift card, money or take the person shopping. The grand children are into the video games so a game card is good for them. I ask them what game are they saving up for so that I know how much money I have to give. The daughters I just give gift cards. I don't seem to get the right thing anymore.

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    What I usually do is ask questions to see what they may like in a round about way and then get them whatever they say that they like out of what I was asking them. I would then decide which one to pick for the person that I could afford to get him/her so they will be happy or else give them a gift card so they could buy there own gift.

15. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    I love it when I get gifts as a surprise and I am sure everyone loves it in that way. What might be a concern is what is in the packet?
    So that people don't get disappointed after they open their gift wrap, we must do a little research on them. We must try to find out what they are looking for. I am sure there are various ways to find this. We can find out from their family or their friends or can use some other creative method. The smile that we see on their faces when they open the pack is just too amazing , which we can't see if they already know what's in.

16. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    While surprises may be good, I'd still prefer knowing what to get. I hate the idea of planning a surprise or buying something for someone and then not being appreciated. I usually go shopping with the person and then just buy them something that they like.

17. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is very nice to be surprised. It gives you a good feeling to know that someone thought of you.

18. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I like being surprised sometimes and then on the other hand I like knowing. I like giving out surprises though!

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love getting surprise gifts. I also like giving surprise gifts. I am actually surprised that people don't like surprised gifts.

20. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather not be surprised! Why not ask, everybody will be happy and you won't waste your money!!