Is it better to surprise or to know what to get?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Esperahol • Jun 27, 2012.

1. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with this. I think everyone has things that they want or that they need - and if they don't, everyone has hobbies or interests. I think that it is totally appropriate to make a list of what you want or what you like - and people should pick off of that (or if they know you well enough, they can use that knowledge they have about you). Then, you can still surprise a friend but KNOW that they'll really appreciate what you get them. I think at the end of the day, when it comes to gifts, we all want to gift people with stuff they will like, need, or want. And if it's a gift we think of thanks to interests or hobbies, then a gift card would be appropriate so we know that you went and enjoyed my gift by picking what you wanted. There are ways to surprise when it comes to gifts - but I think a guideline is always nice!

2. A.P.W.

A.P.W.Member

Threads:
    An impromptu gift is great if the person receiving it is okay with surprises, other than that, you should listen to them frequently. Another good tip is try and go shopping with them and look at what they are looking at or are interested in. You could spot the perfect present if you have an idea of their own personal style. The nicest thing for women is either chocolates, or flowers, my sister sent me flowers and chocolates from Bunches,

they send lovely flowers that lasted nearly 2 weeks. The chocolates were lovely, they are great! I was surprised at the quality of the blooms, I will use them for flower deliveries for friends and family in the future. I was very impressed.

3. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I like surprises better than knowing what I am getting. It is much better for me to be surprised at Christmas time, instead of knowing. I also enjoying surprising other people with my gifts as well. It is sometimes hard for me to keep it a secret, but it is a lot more fun to keep is secret instead of telling them what the surprise is.

4. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    I love making surprises. The effort that you put into it and into ensuring that everything will fall into place makes it even more meaningful to the one you are organizing it for. I also love being surprised. It is truly flattering and touching to know that someone will go through that much to make me feel special.

5. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I will only surprise someone if I know of something that they DEFINITELY want or need. Unfortunately, this is a rare occurrence. If I am unsure, I, without shame, will resort to a gift card. I am not offended at all when I receive gift cards, so maybe, mistakenly, I assume most others feel the same way.

6. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I think for a bunch of flowers, chocolate etc, a surprise is wonderful, if my boyfriend ever surprised me with anything like this I would be so touched! However, he wont, so I wont get my hopes up! But for something like jewelry, or something or more value, getting the right gift is more important so I wouldn't opt for a surprise.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd rather just ask the person what he or she likes to receive as a gift to be on the safe side. You'll never know, that person might be a "picky receiver" so to speak, so in order to get the perfect gift for that person, all you gotta do is ask.

8. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Definitely a surprise! I don't mind what I get as long as it's a surprise - they're always pleasant, and like someone above mentioned, it means someone actually took the time to think of something you may like. Who wouldn't like that?

Sure, we've all gotten gifts we didn't like at least once, but it's the intention that matters!

9. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I don't mind a surprise, but I'd also rather not have someone waste their money getting me something I don't need, so if you really don't know what to get me, just ask. As far as other people, if I don't already know, I'll ask as well, but I'll ask them to name a few things. That way, when I pick one, it's still kind of a surprise, because they didn't know which one I was going to pick.

10. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Actually, I think it's best to know what the person wants than to surprise them because it may not be what they wanted. And then you have the pleasure of returning it to the store making a second trip that you didn't have to make. So why not ask and let one trip do the trick.

11. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    I love preparing surprises for people. But I kinda discourage people close to me from the idea of preparing a surprise to me. A surprise gift would be manageable but not a surprise ceremony or something to that extent.

12. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the person. I like to get gifts I know someone will like. And I really like to know what they want.
    I like surprises more than knowing what I'm getting.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to ask and be asked because giving a gift that might be wrong goes against my frugal nature.
    It's a waste of money if the person didn't want that item. It's more important for them to be happy and get something that meets their needs ,rather than be surprised.

I do sometimes surprise my daughter because we're so close that I can kind of read her mind, but for other family members, I ask questions to find out what they want/need.

14. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What i usually do is ask them about a month or two before Christmas to see things they want or need and just pay attention and whenever i go to the store and i see them looking at something they want i write it down. My mom is very hard to shop for she doesn't like surprises either so it's hard shopping for her so i just paid attention to what it was she wanted. Took her to walmart and what not and i seen her looking at a memory foam pillow and she was like i need one of these but they are too much so i wrote it down and got it for her for Christmas.

15. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    That is the best way to do it if you are not for sure. Follow them around and soon you will have some ideas in your head of what to get for her. She will be surprised and not surprised about what you got for her. Please don't surprise me, I personally don't like surprises..

16. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to know what to get someone than surprise them with something they may not like or use. I hate surprises, I think its best to know what someone likes and buy them that instead of something random.

17. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    That's a good question! It honestly depends for me. I am a very impatient person, so I'll want to know what the surprise is the moment I hear that there is a surprise. I enjoy surprises because it makes the gift giving more special and fun. If I receive a surprise from someone who doesn't know me too well, I would prefer knowing rather than a surprise, but I'm fine either way really.

18. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I don't personally like surprises, so please don't surprise me, ask me please because it may be something I already have or don't want. I am a simple person so I will make sure it won't hurt your budget. I don't believe in con jobs, so just ask.

19. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    This answer to this question is not better or not. For those who likes and expects surprise, the answer definitely is surprise rather than knowing what they will get. Vice verse.

20. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    But what if you don't know the person as well as you think you do, wouldn't it be more nicer to find out what they like instead of surprising them. They may think that you are not a thoughtful person, if you buy them something they do not want.