Is It Cheaper To Buy Or Rent A Steam Cleaner?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by cocolgooh • Apr 6, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Ive been looking into getting a steam cleaner for a while but they seem to be quite expensive initially, plus you can have extra things you need to buy to make it clean at its optimum such as new filters for them. Is it cheaper in the long run to buy something like this, or rent it for a short space of time when you need it the most?

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it would depend on how much you would use it. If you were only going to steam clean once a year then maybe not, but if you were needing to clean more often then it may be better just buy one. I would figure out how long the filters last and how much they will cost you to purchase. Also, how much the cleaner solution would cost and figure out about how many times you would have to purchase that. After adding everything up, you can figure out if it is going to be cost effective for you to rent or buy.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it would depend on how often you intend to use it. I was looking into buying a pressure washer recently and made the decision to hire one as I wouldn't have used it often enough to warrant the money to buy one.

I personally use my steam cleaner two or three times a year to clean the armchairs, sofa, recliner chair and the rugs. But then again I didn't buy it, it was given to me.

4. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I am that kind of person who likes having every single tool that I think I might need to do something at home, I would rather buy something than rent it, I personally think that renting is kinda risky and it is something that I actually avoid, so yes, I would DEFINITELY buy it if I were you so my opinion is go ahead and buy it no matter what, you will need it later on.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    The last time I rented a steam cleaner, it didn't do much good. But because I was about to leave that particular home, I chose not to buy until I was re-established. I had no space for it and it would be another thing for my ex to argue about.

6. albreeden

albreedenMember

Threads:
    My mother has always sworn over the fact that owning her steam cleaner was so much more effective than renting. Her reasoning: it's clean when you use it, it's always accessible, you don't waste money on cleaners that you can't use without the machine, you don't have to pay over and over again.

7. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    The fact that I know it's clean and what it's been used on would definitely be a deciding factor for me, I think. I'd prefer to know it is clean. But I'm also a bit loathed to spend the money if I'm not sure I'd use it particularly often. Maybe I need to look around at the sales and see if there's any available cheaply right now. At least then I know I saved some money.

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if I had the money to pay for and maintain it, and also the room to store it, I would probably purchase it. I also like to know where things have been, particularly if they're going to be touching my rugs and/or furniture. My parents had one and felt it was economical to do so.

9. albreeden

albreedenMember

Threads:
    I know that Ollie's Bargain Warehouse (pretty sure that's what it's called), usually runs great deals on them. I would also check places like Big Lots. Most of the time those stores will have them for a much cheaper price than department stores. I've also said this in almost every post, but you should check and see if they mail coupons out if you join their mailing list. I'm sure that you could gen an extra 20% off that way, easily.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it comes down to how much you are going to use it. I used to have a large steam cleaner when I had a lot of carpets. However, most of my flooring is laminate now. so I don't really need a big one. I do have one smallish steam cleaner that I can use. That reminds me, I have an area rug I could use it on. I have some carpet in one room that really needs to be cleaned so I am hoping the small machine will do the trick..

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have always rented them because I only use them maybe once a year. If you plan on using it a lot then it might be worth the investment. You have to figure out how many times you think you will use it in a year and divide the purchase total by the amount of uses so you can compare that number to the rental fee. If the rental fee is cheaper then you have your answer.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My husband went out and bought a steam cleaner about 7 years ago. I have to say it was a great investment. We use it all the time. He cleans so many differen items it has been well worth the money he spent on it. He uses it to steam clean furniture, hockey equipment, bathroom tile, the BBQ, the carpet in the car. It's great since you don't need cleaners and the steam will sanitize whatever it touches so it can really make the bathroom super clean.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If it were me I'd just base my decision on the math. If the price of renting it multiplied by the number of times I'll use it will come close to just buying one then I'll definitely just buy one for my own use since I consider that a much better choice and I'd go with that as much as possible because I dislike having to use someone else's equipment if I can. If I only will use it a few times and the price I'll have to pay won't even come close to buying a new one then I'll just put up with renting until I get the job done and be done with it.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Owning your own appliance is always more cost-efficient compared to just renting it. When you own a steam cleaner, you can use it anytime and however you want. There won't be any restrictions, and depending on your ability to take care of things, it may even last a decade or more.

15. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I really think it depends on how often you'll use it. I'm all for owning your own appliances, however, if you rarely use something that is big and bulky and takes up lots of space, I think it's better to rent rather than purchase.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that you would have to use a steam cleaner 10 to 15 times a year to justify the cost of buying one. Since I rarely use one, renting works better for me. You also have to consider whether you have the storage space to hold yet another appliance.