Is it possible to make a good film based off a video game?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Esperahol • Oct 9, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I know good films can be made based off comics or mangas. I know good films can be made based off books or Carnival games. I have yet to see a good film based off a video game, and honestly depending on the film I can get really peeved about how things went down. That doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed a film based off a video game, but they weren't good movies or even decent sometimes. Which is messed up because I have seen very good, if not awesome video games based off of films. So what's the deal?

Sorry, rant over but I'm still ticked about the Silent Hill thing. Way to suck all the meaning out of it, while introducing a megaton of suckage Hollywood. Eh, anyone got a small ray of sunshine here or no?

2. roxybalboa

roxybalboaNew Member

Threads:
    What video games would you suggest turning into a movie? The only one I can really think of is Mario, and although I watched it, it wasn't a great movie.

In my opinion, most video games can't really be turned into a movie because a story line is needed. But then I don't play video games that often anymore. Lol

3. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Well some easy ones are anything from the COD line of games and I guess anything that mentions Tom Clancy. All the work is done and you don't need a lot of explainations cause it aligns with the Real World pretty well. Some that aren't as easy, but which make up for that by being awesome are the Batman Arkham series and probably Mass Effect. However, all things considered someone would find someway to ruin them forever.

4. husstopher

husstopherMember

Threads:
    Well, there are some games that have great movies to them. Such as Resident Evil, Tekken, Street Fighter, Halo, and even Final Fantasy. Those are some of my favorites. I know that some of the games I mentioned do have bad movies, but, some of the movies are really good.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You have to see the Resident Evil movie series then. It will get you hooked from start to finish, and crave for the next movie sequel once you finished watching resident Evil 1, so I suggest that you obtain all the past sequels of the Resident Evil movies.

#5Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    "Good" is relative. Myself, I think the first Mortal Kombat movie was good - it was not Oscar-worthy epic, but it was exactly what it was supposed to be - a fun, mindless action ride.. Other than that.. yeah, I don't think there was a good video game movie.. I think the thing is, the movies are really only done for a quick cash-in (best example are Uwe Boll movies - I've listened to an interview with him where he explained how the studio didn't give him any support, marketing, or anything, and basically only used him as a quick cash-in for his movies..), not for actual "qualtiy" value..

7. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I think there are really good games to make a movie out of it. There are games that turned into movies that made lots ot bucks. Let's say Mortal Combat. Tekken could also be in that category. If you were to ask me about games now that could be great to be a movie then I would say Skyrim. That game has a really good story line.

8. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's possible to make a good movie out of a video game. It all depends on the people producing it. What I really would like to see is a movie made from World of Warcraft. It's a game with lots of possibilities and so if it's made into a movie, there can be many interesting sub-plots. I think it would be best done as a live action movie instead of an animated movie.

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have just watched the greatest video game movie yesterday - Wreck It Ralph from Disney! It's not about a specific video game but it is a story about arcade video game characters that could communicate with each other and have feelings. Video game enthusiasts would recognize famous characters like Zangief, Ken, Ryu, Sonic, and lots more. It's light-hearted and has a great story that is fit for everyone. Check out Wreck it Ralph guys. This is how video game movies should be like.

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tekken definitely didn't make money, I think it didn't even get a regular theatrical release, just limited one. It's a shame they decided to change so much in the story though, I thought the visual aspect of the movie was pretty much spot-on..