Is it risky to use my phone as a modem?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Jatelo2 • Dec 22, 2012.

1. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    It's been 3 months since I started using this phone as a modem! A week ago, I sensed that the Internet speeds were considerably reduced and started suspecting the phone to be faulty. I haven't tried a USB Modem (not a phone) to verify my suspicion yet. Do you think that continuous use of my phone as a modem has any effects?

A ZTE F160 with plug and play modem is the phone in question.

2. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    It appears no one is going to help me with this. Anyway I'm still optimistic that one of you will consider informing me!

3. mansawalta

mansawaltaMember

Threads:
    No... it is not risky to use your phone as a modem. /i use mine pretty much all the time when im on the go, the only issue is using your phone to tether takes up a lot of battery and i find myself on the charger. The side effect of this is that my battery is dying. The more im online the worse my battery gets. If you are experiencing slower speeds then it is due to the network coverage of your operator and not your phone.

4. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    Yes and no.

If you use your phone as a modem, as long as you make sure it's password protected (and not with a default password or something like 1234, password, open sesame), then it'll probably okay. You can also turn it off when you're not using it, to conserve electricity.

Another thing to keep in mind is bandwidth. Often your computer will connect to the Internet without users realizing it. It might be for something minor like downloading an update to a piece of software. If your mobile carrier charges for bandwidth over a certain amount, it was be dangerous to your bank balance if you don't keep an eye on that.

5. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    It's not risky, but seeing that it's not made for such a thing, you will have slower speeds than with the correct hardware for the task. Even so, if it's your only option, i would say go for it, just make sure it's password protected!

6. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    I absolutely do use my phone as a Modem and it works fantastically fine! but make sure it's password protected!

7. Teddysean

TeddyseanNew Member

Threads:
    No, the are no risks, but you will have to watch out for data charges if you are roaming, because the bill can get quite high if you aren't on an unlimited plan.