Is It Still Greek Yogurt If It Is Made In America?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by clairebeautiful • Mar 18, 2014.

1. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    You have no doubt heard by now of the ongoing lawsuit (still in a series of appeals) between Europe and Chobani "Greek" Yogurt, the country attesting that the brand cannot call itself "Greek" if it is made in America.

See:

What do you think? Silly lawsuit? Worthwhile? I feel like if the yogurt company ultimately loses they could simply change the branding in Europe to "Greek Style" yogurt and be fine, but perhaps it will never have the same ring.

If you like Greek yogurt, which is your favorite brand and favorite flavor?

I like Chobani a lot. But I also like Yoplait (lots of sugar, obviously), and I like coconut and honey.

2. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    This is an incredibly silly lawsuit. Should we sue Sargento for having a Mexican blend of cheeses because they didn't produce those cheeses in Mexico? You're right that switching to Greek-style would be fine, but I don't think they even have to go that far.

3. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Perhaps the term "Greek-style Yogurt" would fit better?

Here's another (related) question: Can you truly call it an Italian restaurant if it's serving food in the United States?

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Such a stupid lawsuit.... it's Greek style, meaning the recipe is Greek. I think these people have nothing better to do than to pick on product names. It that was the case French fries would be doomed!!!

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Names don't mean much to most people. That the Yogurt is made in the U.S doesn't make it any less Greek if they make it Greek-style. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

I've seen companies change the brand names of their products but retain the old customers because [the customers liked the product]. So, even if the company does change the brand name of their Yogurt, if they notify their customers of the name-change, they'll still buy it.

6. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I think they have a point when they filed this lawsuit. If the yogurt is produced in America why would it have the nae Greek? I think they need to find a better name for their yogurt and maybe something related to America. I know re-branding can be hard it is the best option as per now.

7. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I am from the UK. Although I agree that it is a silly lawsuit, I have to tell you that if someone sold Greek yoghurt in the UK that had not been produced in Greece but implied it was with the wording or name of the product they could run into trouble for giving misleading information. There are various advertising laws for products sold in the UK. I would guess that here you would need to put Greek-style yoghurt on the pot instead of Greek yoghurt.

8. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    That's ridiculous. We call it Mexican style cheese when it's not made in Mexico. Greek style yogurt is Greek style yogurt. I can't believe someone is making an issue out of this.

9. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    I think that this is a stupid lawsuit but then there are all kinds of stupid lawsuits that take place these days.

I believe that if they are using the exact same technique to produce the yogurt as is done in Greece then there is no problem at all with calling the yogurt Greek yogurt.

10. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I think there are too many loopholes in the system for this to have any success. Food companies are very clever at what they print on their labels.

I don't particularly like Greek yogurt. It's too grainy for my liking. Now, 'Greek style' yogurt is nice. It's smoother and creamier than the original. Go figure! :D

11. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I understand that there is a similar problem concerning cheeses named after locations in the U.K. I saw an article about it within the last few days, but can't find it now. I seem to remember that France doesn't like us using the term "champagne" for U.S. produced champagne.

#11Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that the name Greek yogurt refers to how it is made, not where it is made. Greek yogurt is richer, thicker, and has a much creamier taste (at least to me) than plain yogurt does.
    My favorite Greek Yogurt is called Greek Gods, and they make it in plain, as well as several flavors. I think it only comes in the quart size, which is the size that i always buy, in any case. They make a whole milk yogurt, too, which is almost impossible to find nowdays. Most of the yogurt on the market is made from skim milk, and the whole milk makes a yogurt with a flavor that is to die for, it is incredible !