Is it that risky to buy used clothing online?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Jun 9, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm one person who regularly buys used clothing but I've never done so online owing to one or two bad experiences when I bought new clothes [on the net]. Someone recently told me that though the used clothing at thrift stores is cheap buying online can be a lot cheaper.

What do you think, guys? Is it worth the risk buying used clothing from sites like E-bay?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a real big fan of buying used clothes. I can't imagine buying used clothes online even from eBay. I'm sure it is cheaper to buy online. I supposed gently used clothing might be good, but that is not for me.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Buying used clothes online is pretty strange in my book. While I don't mind used clothes, I'd rather be able to at least take a look at the clothing, to make sure everything is in decent condition with the clothing. This sort of thing isn't worth saving the few extra dollars on for me. Would rather just go get some new clothes and spend the extra money.

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I never bought a brand new clothes online so I don't think I'd ever give a used one a go. I think when it comes to used clothes it's better to buy them from an offline store instead of online but this is also depends though if the online seller has a high rating and a lot of good reviews.

5. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm all for buying used clothes. I go to thrift stores all the time because you can find some good pieces at a bargain. But I don't know about buying used clothes online. I'd at least like to be able to see the condition of the clothes beforehand, especially if it's used.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think this is safer than buying in an actual stores. And honestly, I don't see why it wouldn't be safe at all. Is this about transaction issues or hygiene issues. I think first to check if the site where you are buying is actually reliable, research about it and conclude it yourself. About hygiene issues, it's the same with buying clothes in the actual store, you really have to religiously clean your stuff, used clothes you bought, until you feel assured enough.

7. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Buying used clothing online would not be that much different then going to a brick store locally other then paying shipping. If someone or a store sells used clothing, they have to list the brand name, size and wwhat's wrong with it. If you get your online purchase and are not satisfied, they have to give a refund or store credit. I have bought alot of my kids baseball uniform pants and shoes online as we get name brand used items for way much less then in a store.

8. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I love buying used clothes but have never bought them online. I'm not a huge fan of buying clothes period, online only because I need to try on clothes to make sure they look right on me. I have bought several clothes where I didn't try them on got them home and they didn't look right.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also buy a lot of used clothes from opportunity or thrift shops. Some of those shops only deal with new, never worn or hardly worn clothing, and they are the ones that I prefer. When buying second hand clothes, I am very particular, checking carefully for wear and tear and other signs of use. Smell is really important to me. Sometimes the perfume or deodorant of the previous owner of a garment is deeply ingrained in the material, and I don't like that. That's why I don't buy used clothes online. I need to be able to inspect the clothes with my nose and hands before I buy them.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    /shrugs

I haven't really had any issues with buying used clothes online. If something is wrong with an item, then just contact the seller for a refund or leave a bad review.

If the clothes simply don't fit the way you wanted them to, then resell them!

11. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't believe it would be any different than buying news clothes online when it comes to buying them, the only problem I have about buying used clothes is that you do not know who has been wearing them and you won't know what state they will be in until they arrive a your door.

12. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Meh, as long as you can see the item before you buy it, I don't really see the bother with it. People buy from thrift stores all the time, it's no different really. Just be sure to give it a good washing before you think about wearing it.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually go to thrift stores because when I'm buying used clothing, I'd much rather be able to check out the quality and condition of the items I'm buying. Also, I find that I'm able to find a bit more gems at a thrift store for some reason, because everything I find online is pretty much just standard whereas the items I find at a thrift store are a bit more mixed. I'm also very cautious when it comes to second hand clothing items because I'll be wearing them on my body, so I make sure they are as sanitized as possible before putting them on.

14. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never bought used clothing online. Why? It's too risky. You're better off going to a local thrift store where you can smell and touch a previously worn item to see if it's worth your hard earned money. Otherwise, you might end up being sorry.

15. AZ Athena

AZ AthenaNew Member

Threads:
    I thought I'd never wear used clothes, but then I came up on a series of events that required I look a certain way, which meant designer clothes and there was no way on earth I could afford to purchase them new. I scoured eBay and found a lot of stuff that was new or nearly new and dropped about $100 total from maybe five stores. One of them never sent my items and kept my money. I had issues getting a refund because eBay support is nonexistent and I wasn't signed into my own paypal account, so getting paypal service was tough too. I gave up on that- it wasn't worth fighting so much over $10-$20. On the other hand, I also ordered from a store that had a brick and mortar store as well and the item I got was supposedly used, but it was pristine. Seriously, a skirt that should have been $125+ for maybe $15. Yeah, I will order from them again if I need to later. The rest of the stores and items I ordered from were ok too, but those were the highs and lows of it. I do recommend looking at the store ratings and complaints first. I did that and still got bitten, but it's still worth a shot.