Is it the 90s All Over again?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by difrancprod • Jan 18, 2013.

1. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Last weekend, I felt like I woke up in the 90s when I heard that Justin Timberlake and Destiny's Child came out with their new tracks! JT's Suit and Tie once again proved that the music industry has hope! lol Now that real music is out there again, I believe we can rest from hearing trash music for a while. Finally!

2. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    It would be nice to have some new music to listen to. Hopefully some new styles to go with the new music too!:D

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You realize that "real music" and "trash music" is pretty subjective, right? I myslelf would call both Justin Timberlake and Destiny's Child absolute trash, fabricated non-music, for example.

4. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Wait Destiny's Child? Is Beyonce on it??? Lol Would it be Destiny's Child without her? Not for me..... But I do think this could be a interesting combo.

5. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    How many times have you heard yourself say, "that's very nineties", in contemptuous tone. Now this expression that until recently was critical, now is a fashionable adjective. In the fast growing fashion revisionist trend, we see that in the streets over the ninety elements are taking over. We seek inspiration in iconic films of the 90s. This phenomenon can be observed in various fields: cinema, clothes, music and food, among others. Repetitive cycles are normal in modern society. The trend is repeated every 20 years. :p

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I would as well. Actually, I wouldn't go so far as to call it complete trash, but it's certainly no better than what's going on right now.

Also, I think people have a tendency to accuse everything that's happening currently as being "trash" and everything that happened twenty or more years in the past as being "real." Every time period has had some good culture and some trash culture, including the current one.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh that's nice to hear, I really loved the music of Destiny's Child especially their album "Writings On The Wall". With Justin, I liked a few of his songs. I hope I won't be disappointed with the release of their latest tracks!

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    You're kidding right? I mean I still don't like Justin Timberlake - as a musician anyway. I mean he was my Justin Bieber... I mean they even have the same name. Timberlake was like the original wigger and I found him contemptible. Destiny Child wasn't much better especially since it was basically a vanity project for Beyonce. I remember how they did members who weren't Kelly or Beyonce and it wasn't cool. So yeah - it might be "real" music to you, but I have the internet and four different mp3 players. In other words I have all the real music I could want.

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nah, I don't think so. I mean, try to find someone who likes 70s disco or 90s eurobeat/dance pop music.. I don't think you will have much luck. :D

10. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Well '70s music? When did the Stones put out Exile On Main Street and Let It Bleed? That is 70s music I like. When did Black Sabbath put out their first album?
    Final one, Lou Reed and Walk on the Wild Side.
    I guess I am not a Justin Bieber or Timberlake fan.
    I thought Timberlake was a real jerk too when he did the OH I AM SO SORRY routine after the superbowl when he performed that little number with Janet Jackson.
    Ryder13

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the old music from the 80's just saw an old episode of Soul Train it was good. Some of the boy bands that came out when my girls were little I enjoyed but jazz is my heart.

12. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Agreed. Besides, saying that all the new music is garbage is too cliche. There was plenty of crappy music in the 90s, 80s, 70s, etc. too, and there are plenty of good bands and musicians out there now.

13. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Let's hope not! I hate that music and I pretty much despise all of pop music. The 90s was awful, the 80s was crap and the 70s was just terrible. I'd prefer to listen to the sweet sounds of the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. So I do hope that we won't be treated to the likes of Timberlake, Destiny's Child, Aqua or the Backstreet Boys ever again! Let's get some more Benny Goodman, Harry James and George Gershwin!

14. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Ha ha! I wish the 90s music and R & B Soul sound was back but from what I see today that's not the case. I agree that taste in music is subjective and the really good quality music was before the 90s. Patti Labelle, Michael Jackson, Luther Vandross...that's the real stuff. I'm a fan of Justin and was a fan of Beyonce when she first came out but honestly when the direction of her music changed, I just wasn't interested. I haven't listened to the new songs on radio like I used to in like 10 years! I don't think I'm missing out.

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    The other day I was listening to a radio station that played some of the buried tracks from the 1920s and 30s, and they were absolute trash. Of course, that's probably why they were buried so deep that it took a dedicated music historian to dig them up and bring them back. I feel like that's how history will remember Aqua and Britney Spears. People will look back to our era and hear only John Legend and Adele and completely forget that Justin Beiber was a thing.

16. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I hope you are right, but something tells me that you are given what I know about music and voices. Adele, John Legend and even Josh Grobin have the voices to make them legends whose music will always be listened to as well as enjoyed. Flash in the pans like Justin Bieber not so much. I will never forget one of Bieber's interviews where he said that he hoped to have the same success that Michael Jackson had. My reaction first you would need to have the talent that Michael had, and I hate to be the one to break it to you but you don't.

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So do I. I love the old school R & B. I wish it would come back.

I rarely listen to current music. I'm not a fan of current music. There are a few diamonds among the current stuff.

18. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Wow nothing like condemning the music of the '70s, '80s and '90s.
    Personally I won't put you down for listening to Benny Goodman or any of those.
    But it isn't everybody's cup of proverbial tea. My music is old music now too, the Stones, Steve Earle, Grateful Dead, Johnny Winter. There is some great music in every decade. But there is also a great deal of subjective and personal preference in music. Sinatra was great I do agree but I prefer Roy Orbison.
    Ryder13

19. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Meh. Disagree. David Bowie, Joy Division, Bauhaus, The Cure, The Clash, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Gary Numan.. and that's just from the top of my head the most famous ones, I could name tens of less known artists more..

20. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Totally agree, you named some major groups here, including Led Zeppelin and The Clash and Bowie to pick out just three. And yes there are other great musicians from the era, and the others too.
    Ryder13