Is it true that Microsoft will discontinue upddates for XP?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Jatelo2 • Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I saw something on Microsoft download site ...a plan to stop sending updates to windows XP. If I can recall well, the site suggested upgrading to Window 7. While this may be a good thing, I believe many people still use XP out there and may not have the machines to run window 7 or 8.

What do you think?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah it's true. I think they will stop it some time 2014. I'm not so sure. In any case, I don't really care. I would still be able to continue using XP right? Besides, the updates are just pretty small modifications to the OS. Imagine if Microsoft was still continuing providing updates to Windows 98. Sheesh. If you want updates, then grab Windows 7 or 8.

3. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Speaking of Windows 8, I hear it is not widely acceptance from users as anticipated? I tried using it, but it looks strange if you ask me... What do you think?

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's about time, the OS is 12 years old already. I don't really understand how much longer people can hang on to that old of an OS. Hopefully this will put to rest the last group of people still running on Internet Explorer 6, and hopefully it will also do away with a lot of IE7 and IE8 users.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I'm not updating my OS anymore ever since I downloaded a Windows Vista update that did more harm than good to my pc, so I wouldn't really be bothered if they stopped releasing updates in general. But yeah, they are really gonna stop releasing new updates for XP, which is justified since it's really an old OS.

6. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    Then youll be more vulnerable to viruses even if you have AV installed. And the support for XP will also surely diminish for future updates of other softwares. Thats why updates are important from manufacturers. So I think its a better idea to upgrade to 7 or 8 now. Just my 2 cents :)

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I am actually surprised that they are still supporting it. After they released Windows 7, I expected it to be not supported about a year later. You could still run it, there just won't be any updates or support for it. As danealegana pointed out, there are risks in running an OS after Microsoft drops support for an it. We have one computer here and two at where I work that are so old, I may not have a choice but to continue running XP for awhile. All three machines will need to be replaced. I do have once computer running Windows 7. It is actually a pretty good OS once you get used to it.

8. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I thought that they stopped giving support a long time ago, but i guess that is cool, if i could i would continue using XP, it's still my favorite OS of all time.