Is It Worth It To Buy A Fitness Band?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by isabbbela • Feb 14, 2016.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been getting more and more into fitness and health after I gained quite some weight. Now all i want is to be healthy, diet right, exercise and be more active and happier.
    I was looking into fitness bands to measure steps, heart rate, calories etc and they are a bit expensive for what they do, but I think they are cool and will help me with my daily goals.
    Do you own one? Are they worth buying? Which one is the best in terms of cost/benefits?

2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have never used a fitness band before, however, I have been exposed to a small piece of equipment which seemed to have similar capabilities of the fitness band. I was impressed with its ability to provide those useful readings and analysis. I would purchase one of these machines if it's affordable.
    I would encourage to buy the fitness band because it would be a very useful aid for you maintaining your goals.
    To answer the question relating to cost benefit. I suggest you check out this site:
    LiveScience.com

3. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    If you're really serious and invested on living a healthy life, i think it's a great idea to go for the fitness band, it might be expensive but you'll only only have to buy it once anyway and the peace of mind it will give you and the usefulness of it will be really worth it.

4. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    If you have the money, then yes, by all means, but if you are not in the habit spending it unnecessarily, then in my opinion it does not make much difference. I came from a size 16 to a size 8, I did not waste money on any fitness gimmicks and I must say it did not matter at all because I lost the weight, that was the goal.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was just writing an article about fitness bands. They can be expensive, but one that is well regarded is the Jawbone UP2. It is under one hundred dollars and seems to do many things that the more expensive bands do. I was thinking I would look for it on Amazon. I currently have a pacer app on my phone, which is somewhat useful, but I am not carrying my phone around with me at all times.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I would rather use that money to pay for the gym or just use to buy some healthier food. I don't think that a fitness band is really going to help you lose weight, but it might be informative if you like stats on how you are progressing. I would personally rather save it for organic and good food instead.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, you can get a good fitness monitor for well under $100, and even as cheap as around $20 if you shop on Amazon. I have a Fitbug Orb, and I got it locally for about $15; but Amazon has them all the time for around $20. The Fitbug monitors steps, and also sleep if you ar interest4ed in that. the appthat comes with it has a place to reecord all of your food intake, and shows you calories, carbs, proteinss and fat for everything that you eat, as well as how much calories you have burned that day.
    I really LOVE my Fitbug, and I actually would not trade it for one of the more expensive trackers. the Fitbug can be worn like a watch or clipped on, and I usually wear it as a clip-on. I definitely recommend one of these, and any fitness tracker will help; because it makes you more aware of "getting those steps in" each day.

8. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Fitness bands are great for those who can't handle high impact exercise (e.g. aerobics) or just want something different. I got two kinds. One with handles and ankle cuffs for stretching legs that cost about $10 at WalMart. Then I got a set of 3 with different tension levels for $8 at Marshall's. The latter is great for building strength because its light, medium and heavy tension.

What I like also is that these are portable and don't take up much space.

9. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, that if you are very serious about getting healthy it will be a good idea. I see a lot of people who buy them and only use them for a few months which is such a waste. A lot of the newer and more advanced ones can help track more then just steps. You should also look into the app : myfitnesspal. This is a great way to track food consumption.

10. cardinals27

cardinals27New Member

Threads:
    It depends on how much you really care about getting healthy and staying in shape. It is a great tool for people that want to burn as many calories as possible and keep track of how they are doing in their workouts. I would highly recommend getting one if you really like workout and if you are invested in getting and staying healthy.

11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not have any such gadgets and not likely to have in near future. I am not sure if such a gadget is going to help my cause in any way because I will be spending more time on keeping an eye on measurements rather than concentrating on my workouts.

12. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    The key to losing weight and exercising is having motivation and goals. A fitness band does just that by tracking your progress and giving you information on what you need to improve on. Seeing your visual results can motivate anyone to surpass their record because they're actually able to see their progress. Sometimes, people give up because they feel as if nothing is working but if you track your activity, you'll see that it does. It's a very good investment and in the long run, saves you money with health costs.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If a fitness band helps to motivate you and stay on tract to be healthy why not get one. It's mentioned at other posts where you can get one that's under $50, so if you can afford it and want to have one get one. I like the fitness bands, but I can't afford one now. It's nice to know that there are good fitness bands under $30!

14. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    A person who is too serious about his body fitness especially his weight, cost or whatever expenses are there don't seem matter as long as he could afford to get them those he needs. Regarding my weight loss program, I eat enough carbo, protein, fruits for my body needs and I take an early morning brisk walking around the public plaza for 30 to 60 minutes daily. That is all I take for my body fitness I have had.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well if you workout a lot and it is something that you think will work for you, then certainly. You could even make the argument that it would save you money if used correctly.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been working on my fitness for years and am proud to say that I still weigh the same what I used to weigh while in college couple of decades back. I was 72 kg during my college days which was considered good for my 6'2" and I weigh 74 today with my regular workouts despite my very busy offline and online activities. I have never used a gadget to keep a vigil on my workout activities.

17. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Currently I am in the weight loss mode so I wouls love to have such a gadget but the cost of it puts me off. Instead I have downloaded the app Pacer, which is free to download, use and the best part it works in offline mode!

It has better features in a premium mode for which one needs to pay but so far I am using their free services.

18. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    The fact is one may not be able to procure all the necessary fitness tools but there are a few I strongly think we should have ready at homes. For example Blood Pressure measuring kits should be one that every adult that is at most forty should keep. Every family should endeavor to have one and know how to use it. Weight measuring machine and temperature measuring instrument, clinical thermometers, should be readily available at homes.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I suggest you check with Amazon or Flipkart and you will be surprised to know that these gadgets are available at way lower rates than your expectation. The rates are going down by the day so keep a close look on the latest trends.

20. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My godson in Canada is a health buff. He runs every day to keep fit. I didn't know that it is called a fitness band but he described that his gadget measures his vital signs so he knows if he is abusing his body. I don't know how much that gadget is but I think it's worth the cost if it can contribute to your good health.