Is it worth the extra money to go see a "RealD 3D" movie?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Celestial Sky • May 19, 2013.

1. Celestial Sky

Celestial SkyNew Member

Threads:
    I'm interested in going to the new Star Trek: Into Darkness movie. Also, I want to see Iron Man 3. At my local movie house ticket prices for an adult, for the "RealD 3D" version, cost $13.75. But, the regular (non-3D) ticket prices are only costs $10.25.

If several people are attending, the RealD 3D version could be an expensive night at the movies!

So, do you think it's worth the extra money to go see a movie with RealD 3D?

Let me know what you think, as it will help me decide which version to see. : )

2. oracewx

oracewxNew Member

Threads:
    It all depends on the kind of the movie. If the movie that I'm planning to watch has many 3D effects (eg. bullet flying towards you / projectile feels like it's going to hit you) then I will pay extra for that movie. If it is a movie that's pretty passive then probably not worth the money.

If you don't watch 3D movie regularly then it may be good to upgrade once awhile and enjoy the 3D movie with your friends / family.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Of the 3 movies that i have seen in 3D, none was that good. It was just a gimmick that let them ask for more money because pieces of debris flew at you during action scenes.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's worth the money in your first or second try. Like BlackSolaris said, it would be like flying debris would be thrown or would be falling down at you which could even make you jump from your seat. I have only watched 2 3D movies. The first was G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra and the second was Star Trek: Into Darkness. Was Star Trek great in 3D? Yes it was.

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    It does really depend on the movie that is going to be seen. I think that no doubt Iron Man 3 would be a good movie to see in 3D. Mainly because of the special effects that are in it. I can also think of other movies that would be worth such an investment. That's not to say that all movies that are done in 3D are worth that investment, because I think these days they over do putting films out in 3D to the point where you wonder why some movies are being done this way such as the new Gatspy movie, was that really needed to be put in 3D? Probably not, but that seems to be the in thing now. But its certainly not a movie that benefited from the format if anything according to critics it was a bit distracting to see it that way. So, I really think it would come down to the movie and whether the 3D effects enhance the movie not take away from it.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I second the motion to what pafjlh has said. I can't imagine watching a drama movie that is in 3d. I think action/adventure movies that have lots of jumping, running, explosions, and falling debris would fit 3d perfectly. Other than that, 3d is a no no.

7. Teddysean

TeddyseanNew Member

Threads:
    I'd say so. If you're going to go out and pay extra to watch a movie, it is worth it to pay an extra few dollars to see a movie on the big screen in 3D.

8. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I've never even seen a movie in the new 3D format! I hate going to the theater, frankly, I just don't like the whole experience compared to how it used to be before the prices went crazy. I think some televisions can display the 3d format. I think in the long run it might be cheaper to get one of those TVs and rent the movie in the 3D format.

9. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    Every 3D movie I have ever seen has been impressive and so much fun to see. It is definetly worth the extra money for the ticket. And as far as the Star Trek movie, I have not personally seen it. But I would bet it is going to be a winner, especially in 3D. I would say yes, pay the extra few dollars and have a great time. I would love to go see it myself. Hopefully our theater will be running it soon.

10. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    I'd personally save the money, but then I only see movies in the theater when I know there will be a lot of special effects. Most movies I'm fine watching on the small screen.

11. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's really up for you to decide if the more is really something worth watching.
    For example I normally never see movies in 3D unless its something I've been waiting for a while.
    The perfect example would be that I was waiting to see The Great Gatsby for about a year so I ended up seeing it in 3D. I would say that every penny was worth the watch.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It's worth to experience once or twice, but I personally find that the charm wears off fast. Halfway through the movie, I'd usually start wishing I was just watching on a regular screen, but I guess they all have their merits. it's fun to try out, but I wouldn't do it regularly, as I still prefer regular showings overall.