Is it wrong to get someone a used book for Christmas?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by andrew320 • Dec 17, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Before the weekend, I was considering getting my buddy a used book (specifically Thomas Mann's "Doctor Faustus) or taking him out to Indian food. Eventually I took him out to lunch instead of buying a book. But I wonder if people would get upset by purchasing them a used book. I personally wouldn't mind if someone got me a used book because I love books, don't see the need to spend more on something when it's cheaper and I'm grateful for anything I get.

Thoughts?

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I would like some book like that...

I agree with you. For me the books have a significance that transcends the monetary. A used book is a special gift because it has an interesting emotional backdrop, it's the part of the story of a person, someone who spent hours of their time reading these pages. Moreover, if we need to find a special meaning, it is easy to find in a book like that. Particularly I would be delighted if I receive a book as a gift during the holidays, even if it is used.:D

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind a good book used or not i love to read so i wouldn't get upset. I guess it depends on the person if a person loves to read and loves books i don't see them getting to upset about getting on as a gift.

4. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    There's no problem for me if a friend of mine gives me a used book. After all what is important in books are their contents. As long as the words are still readable you know that you are gonna get something from it. It is not like a shirt or something that you could not wear when it's already old. The idea and the message that the book is trying to share is still there and that is what's important for me.

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Giving a used book for Christmas is fine. It's not like your giving that person used underwear. As the cliche goes, "it's the thought that counts." Books are meant to be read so the external appearance means nothing. Just make sure that all the pages are in tact though. I would be really irked to read a book then find out that the last chapter was torn off.

6. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    Sure, why not? If the person loves books they will appreciate it. Especially if its special: out of print, or by a fave author. Maybe it's one you loved.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the condition of the used book. Let's face it, some used books are in pretty bad shape while others are in brand new condition. If it is good shape, I don't see a problem with giving one as a Christmas present.

8. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. It depends on the person and the book that you're giving, but it can be a very powerful and emotional/thoughtful gift. For instance, if you knew a person's favorite book or author, it shows a lot when you go out of your way to find a used book - perhaps a first edition, an older version that is hard to find, one with an awesome hard cover, or one with a very sweet message inside. Finding those kinds of gifts is much more meaningful than typing in a book or author into Amazon.com. And it doesn't even need to be sentimental like that. Many, many books that are used have only been read once and are nearly new; if you know that your recipient will enjoy the book, then you should buy it for them! Add a little note in the inside cover or include a beautiful bookmark if you feel like you need a "special" touch to the gift.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind getting a used book.

I wouldn't *give* one, though. I might consider doing it if it were an antique book or something, but I don't tend to give used items for Christmas. I would simply give a used one at any other time as a random gift instead.

10. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    If you know that the person that you are buying for is a book lover, then sure, a used book would be fine. That being said, I think that it is tacky to get someone a used book just because it is cheaper. I would only get someone a used book if I was in bad financial shape, and that person knew it, but if I could afford to get someone a new book, then I would get them new book.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First editions are used books worth alot of money. I have given used books as gifts and received used books. It is a special thought to give someone a gift of value. If the book is hard to find and only can be found used why not.

12. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I don't understand. How is it tacky? The book I purchased that was used was in fantastic condition. It looks like it's brand new: cover is perfect, pages are not ripped and there are no scribbles, lines or anything else damaging to the book.

What's the point of spending $25 for a book (the original cost of the book in question) when you can spend $7 for a book in the exact same condition?

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If it actually *looks* new, then there's no problem. The person wouldn't know the difference at all. If they could tell that it's used, though, it might be a different story.

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a book lover so I wouldn't mind receiving a book as a gift be it new or used. It shows that the person knows me well enough to know the kind of things that I like.

15. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I love reading good books and I don't care if the particular book is new or used. I wouldn't be mad at anyone who would give me an used book as a present because I pay more attention to the content and not the cover or general appearance.

16. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'm with you there, Jessi. Earlier in the year, I picked up a couple of lovely used books about Scotland for my neighbour. His wife was with me, and she said I should give them him for Christmas. To me, though, that wasn't acceptable. I gave them to him when we got back, and bought him something new for Christmas. I've often given used books as anytime presents though - especially if it was something that had gone out of print and wasn't available through the usual channels.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that it's wrong to give people a used book for Christmas, because after all, it's the thought that counts. I'm sure people would love to receive a good book for Christmas, whether it's used or not, as long as the content in the book interests them.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think a used book is a thoughtful gift if it's about a topic they are interested in. As a fan of all things Japanese, if I got a used copy of "The Art of Japanese Swordsmanship" or Miyamoto Mushashi's "The Five Rings". I would be thrilled. A used book about the topic that the recipient cares about is a much more personal and thoughtful gift than a generic gift basket or those other typical gifts that people buy.