Is Les Miserables worth seeing if you don't really like musicals?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by WitchyPop • Feb 28, 2013.

1. WitchyPop

WitchyPopMember

Threads:
    I've seen so much of Les Miserables on the TV and trailers at the cinema but still can't decide whether to go? I do think it looks like something worth watching on a large screen because of the sets but I don't know if I want to sit for nearly three hours listening to singing and no spoken dialogue. What did you think of it if you have seen it?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I haven't seen the movie, but I have seen the DVD of the 25th Anniversary stage show. I have to say I wasn't keen, as there is no dialogue, but it was bought as a present, so I felt obliged to at least try to watch it before I passed it on to somebody who might be more enthusiastic about it. Long story short, I loved it, and I've watched it several times since. I would think it would be even more remarkable on the big screen, so I'd say go for it.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't know if its all just music and no dialogue. I haven't actually seen the movie but I do know that its quite long. Not all musicals are nothing but music, I know this was the basis for the movie Evita that Madonna did years, which I really didn't care for. Some musicals have a mixture of dialogue along with music to tell the story such as Fiddler on the Roof. But keep in mind even if there is also dialogue in musicals people do break out into song at any moment during the film.

4. WitchyPop

WitchyPopMember

Threads:
    From what I've heard there is no dialogue in the film.

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for telling me this. I don't mind musicals that are a combination of dialogue and music. But the kind that are all music I find very distracting. To me these don't drive the story very well, and leave you trying to figure out what is going on. As I said above that version of Evita that Madonna did years ago was like this, and I couldn't even get half way through the movie. Fortunately I saw it on TV and didn't waste my money in a theater. Given the fact that Les Miz is so long in length it should of been a combination of both, but I guess maybe the stage production of it was all music so they decided to base the movie version the same way. Doesn't exactly appeal to me though.

6. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    Les Miserables is one of the best musical movie I've seen. I really enjoyed this movie. But I still would want to watch the stage show live. I hope one day my husband would agree! :D

7. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    I went to see it at the cinema. Like you, Sandra, I was a bit dubious, but I absolutely loved it. I have to admi that it took around 20 minutes for me to get my head around the fact that the entire story was told through song, but I was absolutely captivated by it.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know about Les Miserables but as someone who isn't a fan of musicals I was sure as anything that I would hate Billy Elliott that I went to see a couple of years ago, it was FANTASTIC. I say give it a try, :)

9. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    I would highly recommend this movie to watch on the big screen, if you get the chance, even if you aren't a fan of musicals. Otherwise, the DVD is coming out in a few weeks if you're willing to wait. There are some lines that are spoken, but for the most part it is sung through, and the acting was so brilliant such that I was emotionally involved with the story's characters the whole way through. There are some elements from the book mixed in with the stage musical which make the story much richer, and the sets, props, costumes, and effects make the film an entire entity all its own. I do hope you enjoy when you see the movie.

10. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    If you are not a fan of musicals perhaps you should not watch it on the big screen but watch it when it comes out on d.v.d. It is long, about 3 hours I think and everything is sung. Ultimately, you have to make the choice. But if you loved musicals...that would be another story!

11. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you hate musicals, chances are you will also hate Les Miserables. 99% of the dialogue is sang out loud. I actually find musicals cheesy. I don't know why. The performances are great, the costumes are great, the story is ok, but it's like I'm listening to one song only from the beginning of the movie up to its end. I want to love the movie. But since it's a musical, I simply can't.

12. avihabibi

avihabibiMember

Threads:
    At first I was like WTF. Won't they talk? But I gotta admit. Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathway did a very good job. Awesome acting. Its hard to sing in the whole movie lol.

13. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Recently this movie is mentioned a lot. I am going to watch it at the cinema. If it's a musical movie, i will consider over.