Is Next Day Shipping Worth It?

Discussion in Shipping Services started by Adeal4u • May 16, 2012.

1. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I ordered a laptop a while back, and I used the next day shipping option. They charged me $50 to ship the computer. I thought that was a bit pricey, so I changed it to 2-3 day shipping. It costs around $35 and I thought that was reasonable. Do you use the next day shipping when you order online?

2. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I've never heard of that option, but the sites I buy from usually take no longer than 24-48hs to ship the items, if they have them in stock. Otherwise, it can take weeks!

I don't think it's worth paying that much unless you're really anxious about getting it. Me, I don't care waiting as long as I save $50!

3. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    It depends on WHAT is coming to me. If it's something expensive and I can't wait - yeah, I can spend a little more money, it won't make much difference anyway. But if it's something cheap and/or I can wait, I'm not so anxious about it, I'll definitely wait and save money.

4. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I buy lots of stuff on ebay or from online stores and have never payed up for next day shipping. I figure if I don't have the item I can wait for an extra few days more. If I was in business or running a business then I might consider it but I can't justify the extra expense otherwise.

5. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddyMember

Threads:
    I personally believe that if you are impatient, you should use the overnight or next day shipping as it's fast!!!!!!

but for me, I can wait a day or two.

6. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd rather just pay cheapest/2nd cheapest shipping. I don't mind waiting!

7. xtinguish

xtinguishNew Member

Threads:
    It all depends on what I ordered and how fast I need it. For me I usually do the free shipping and just wait the 5 days or so for it to come. I just ordered a iPhone charger case thingy, and I did free shipping and now I have to wait 8 days, it's no big deal because I really don't need it asap.

8. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    Very rarely. In fact, the only time I'll pay for next day shipping is if I've done my Christmas shopping late or need a last-minute gift for a birthday or something and don't have time to go to a store to shop. I do a lot of shopping with Amazon though, and have Amazon Prime, so 2 day shipping is free for any size order. I like that. Even at $79 for a year, my membership gets paid for before the year is up.

9. Randomhero

RandomheroMember

Threads:
    Most of the day when they say next day shipping. I always think 2-3 days to arrive. So its rather useless to me. Unless it was of extreme importance. Like lets say my computer died and I needed a new power supply unit and I could only get it online. Then yeah I'd use next day shipping cause I'd need to get back online as fast as possible for my business! :)

10. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I use that option on Amazon frequently, but since I have the Amazon Prime account, next day shipping is under $5. I wouldn't pay $50 for next day shipping when chances are you'd get it in 3-5 business days anyway.

11. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    It depends on how fast you want your product and where you are located. For me, personally, next day shipping is not worth it. The longest it takes me to get anything in the mail is 3 days. I can wait those extra two days and pay 10$ (or more) less.

12. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    It depends on what you are ordering and the urgency at which you need the item. Usually if its fragile items like glassware it will be very pricey because they have to move it quickly and with many other shipments and carriers so it has more of a chance to be damaged. They pretty much charge you for the care of the package. Some pages offer specials if you are a member where you get 2 or 3 day shipping for no extra charge

13. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    In some cases the shipping option doesn't really matter. For Amazon, the free shipping said it would come by next week, but it actually arrived in 3 days! Spending such extra amounts of money for faster shipping isn't necessary unless it's a last-minute gift. Otherwise, it's just an attempt (a sneaky one) at getting some extra cash from your hands.

14. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    $35 for 2-3 day shipping is way too much to me. But, I guess it could depend on what you're having shipped. If I order anything online, it's usually through Amazon. I have Amazon Prime so I get free 2 day shipping and overnight shipping is just 4 bucks if I recall correctly. You can add 3 people to your Prime account, so my sister, mom, cousin and I all went in on it and paid $20 each and we all get a year's worth. It's excellent for getting school supplies, birthday presents, Christmas presents and any other thing you might want and they have.

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Usually, if I need it that soon that badly, I won't buy it online. I'll go to a brick and mortar and have it in my possession as soon as I've paid for it. If I'm ever in a position where I need to purchase something online and I need to have it literally tomorrow... that probably means that I've planned something very poorly.

16. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Regardless of what I've bought in the past, I've never used Express shipping or anything similar. I'd rather wait a month and get it from my friend at our local post office and skip the unreasonably high customs taxes than get it the next day and pay almost double the item's price just for the stupid customs taxes.

17. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    Depending on the item that's how you should judge if its really worth it. If you next day a laptop then yea in my opinion it is definitely worth the extra money to receive your item faster. But if its something like a table clothe and its going to cost more to ship it than the actually item is worth then I don't think it is very logical to do so.

18. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    If my computer died, I'd pay for next day shipping if the best deal was online. I write for a living, and being without a computer for several days would lose me more money than the cost of the shipping, so that would make economic sense. I can't think of any other circumstances where I'd pay for extra shipping for myself, although if I forget about a close friend or relative's birthday, I will send flowers online and pay extra for same day delivery, rather than admit that I forgot!

19. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    The shipping was so high because it was a laptop. The price of the shipping goes by weight, and if you want next day shipping they tack on extra. I'm okay with paying that because I really needed a computer. I don't know of any laptop that you can get with cheaper shipping. If you know of a place please let me know because I would like to get a deal next time. I tried Amazon with heavier items such as a monitor that I ordered, and the shipping was $30. I also don't have a Amazon Prime account, so maybe that's why it was so high.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It would completely depend on what the item was. If I absolutely had to have it the next day and there was no way for me to get it locally in time, then I might consider paying that. I don't think I ever have, though. I don't mind paying a little more for 2-3 day shipping compared to 2-3 week shipping.