Is "non-organic" Really That Bad? Which Do You Think Is Better Organic Or Not Organic?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by joyful728 • Apr 10, 2015.

1. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    Am I the only one who is scared to buy non-organic food because I'm afraid it might have some type of disease?

Do you think non-organic food is really that bad? Which do you prefer to buy?

I, personally, am glad that non-organic is available as a choice. If every single farmer in the word decided to be all-organic, then there would be massive famine - mostly in developing countries - that would be like 10 times worse than famines now. There would be massive disease among cows, chickens and pigs, and lots of crops would be destroyed in one season by bugs. Also there would be a cotton shortage.

What are your thoughts?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are definitely in a minority. I can't understand how you would think something non-organic would be diseased.

I refuse to pay the overinflated prices charged for organic foods. I think there's little taste difference on the whole and if I can buy cheaper then I will.

3. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know why you would be scared. What is the source of your fear? Do you hear the news or information about pesticides or "dangerous" things on your food from an unbiased source?

I think eating organic, like truly eating organic isn't so much about not ingesting the dangerous pesticides or whatever, but to support local farmers and the local economy. When you buy organically, most of the fruits/vegetables that you get comes from a source that is relatively close to you which means you're supporting a local farm and reducing your carbon footprint.

I also think it's about eating animal products that has been treated well, such as chickens that can walk around freely (free-range chicken) or cows that are not injected with hormones or whatever. It's about ethically protecting and treating animals while getting the meat source we need.

I don't buy organically because my husband and I can't afford to and we don't see the need to, but there may be times when I do splurge on organic/fair-trade/non-GMO products. Those times are very rare though and it's only when the items I want are on sale.

I do, however, participate in farmer's market because I LOVE my local farmer's market. But that's pretty much the extent of it all.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think non-organic is as bad as people make out, after all many generations have eaten the food, survived and reproduced.

A huge percentage of people do not buy organic due to cost or availability and they are healthy and alive and once you understand what organic means, as in when a farm is allowed to use the term on their products you will understand it is a process. Farms have to wait so many years before they can be declared organic and for some it's too costly, but it doesn't undermine their methods.

5. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    There is no reason to be scared about buying non-organic food because they are still safe to eat. I know that I have always been fine eating non-organic food and I never got sick at all. Always washing the produce before eating is what I do and have done this for many years. No I don't think that non-organic food is bad and that is the kind I buy. I buy food that is non-organic right now because it's low in price and high quality. My thoughts on this is that a person can be very healthy eating foods that are non-organic. Maybe once in a while I'll buy a few organic vegetables and fruit but I don't choose organic too often.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As long as you don't eat them on an excessive basis, there's no real harm in consuming non-organic food and drinks. I love McDonald's, Wendy's and fast food in general and my life would be so boring if I shun them completely. I do get wary about how fast food products might affect my health so I regularly drink herbal supplements and occasionally exercise to remove toxins. Too much organic food can also be bad for you so it's good to balance both non-organic and organic food products without neglecting your health at the same time.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying something with an organic label doesn't mean what you think it does. What you need to do to ease your fear is actually look into the companies, not believe their labels. They're bought and paid for like everything else, even if they truly are organic. You're likely eating things you are afraid of because you think a sticker is truthful. Some are. Some really aren't. Take a trip to the grocery store one day just to write down some names. Then go home and look them up.. if they aren't clear about their practices on their websites, email them and ask. And be careful to read between the lines. You may be looking for certain practices and they can technically use those terms in their responses, but they aren't truly living up to your standards. Take "free range" or "cage free" eggs for example.. such a lie; but people love those terms, so that's exactly what they get on the packaging and in responses when contacted.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, Josie nailed it. So much hype. If you are really that concerned then yes, you should do some in depth research. Find out what you are really paying for and make sure you're not paying a lot of extra money for nothing.

I'm so skeptical these days, after being burned too many times. I just do not buy into the hype about anything any more.

To start, I'd check out the FDA or similar organizations and find out what the loosest definition of "organic" is that can be legally put on the package. Then, keep digging and decide if you think you're getting your money's worth.

9. yamazakura

yamazakuraNew Member

Threads:
    Hello,

Non-organic foods should not be diseased. Organic means that synthetic chemical inputs have not been used to produce the food/ingredient. Different countries have slightly different regulations on what can be called organic. You can learn more if you check "Organic Certification" on Wikipedia.

I personally buy organic foods because I would like to keep my system free of pesticide residues. Also, the farmers who produce them can work in better conditions, without having to work with pesticides, and also get a higher value for their products.

If you don't want to buy all-organic fruits and vegetables, you can check online for a list of the top conventional produce to avoid, those types that have been tested and found to have the most pesticide residue remaining on them. Then you can get just those organic.

10. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Much ado about nothing. I have my doubts about anything being really organic anymore, whatever organic is supposed to mean. Basically, we're at the mercy of others when we go to buy anything these days. There is no real truth in advertising. The things they say are healthy generally aren't really.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's what they want you to think. Organic is mostly really just a genius marketing strategy on how to sell really expensive food to gullible people. I mean, sure, organic is theoretically better than non-organic, but really, you wouldn't know if you weren't told.

12. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I do love to eat organic products but it also does not mean that non organic products is bad. Sometimes it just the level and amount of consumption that we should look after. Too much non organic might be bad but in moderation it is quite ok.