Is Online shopping safe?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by gkbopticals • Feb 26, 2013.

1. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    I always enjoy online shopping but I never visited independent retailers sites. I always go to the more known or direct websites of clothings and shoes which is more safer when it comes to payment and more sure that it isn't a scam.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think online shopping is relatively safe, but of course like anything else there are bound to be some shady sellers out there. If they aren't out to flat out scam you, then maybe they misrepresent their product by overestimating its quality, or being troublesome when it comes to refunds. These are only a number of problems you could run into, and the risk is certainly higher as opposed to being able to inspect the product you are about to purchase personally, but there are ways to keep safe. I tend to just search around for comments and ratings about a site or a seller before I do anything else, fortunately people are very vocal about their opinions online so if there is a problem with a site or a seller, it shouldn't be too hard to find.

3. srinivas0812

srinivas0812Member

Threads:
    Research quite well before buying something from a website. Trusted websites must be our top priority to shop online. Personally, I never link my Credit card to my profile on any of the websites. If Cash on delivery option is available on a particular product, I will be more than happy to purchase it. As far as the site is legit, I think online shopping is pretty safe.

4. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Online shopping is as safe as shopping in the real world. In both scenarios there are risks, and you must be aware of them. You wouldn't give your credit card to a random street vendor with a sketchy sign, so why would you trust a sketchy website any more so? The MAIN concern should be how does this company store my information?! Online, and even in the real world, sometimes, even without your knowledge, your credit card details are stored insecurely, and can be accessed by others. Online you hear of this much more often, as some people click the "remember my card" details on websites, which stores basically everything someone needs to buy things without your permission but with your card. Do not tick this box if you value your safety! Many people might say, well, these websites have security in place...maybe they do, maybe they don't how do you know?! Large companies like Yahoo, Linkedin, Evernote, Playstation have all been hacked in the last year with public information being released. Now imagine that data included your credit card...

5. justbuyflowers

justbuyflowersNew Member

Threads:
    I think online shopping is safe. Now a days there are so many websites for online shopping like snapdeal.com, amazon.com, eday.in, flipkart.com etc. Through online shopping time is saving and i had never problem with it.

6. delco

delcoMember

Threads:
    Online shopping is as safe as you let it be. There's no answer like "yes, it's completely safe" or "no, it's all a scam." If you're smart, know how to avoid getting taken advantage of, know what reputable sites offer the best deals, online shopping is amazing.

7. johan121

johan121Banned

Threads:
    I think that you should research first the background and service of any site that you intend to make a purchase from so that you won't get scammed, that's what I do all the time.

8. flemingtm

flemingtmNew Member

Threads:
    Online shopping is totally safe with certain websites. Some websites will try to scam you and make you pay more for what you think you paid, but with websites like eBay and Amazon there is no worry. I shop on eBay on a weekly basis, getting little things here and there. Your order goes in and it ships to your house within a week depending on what type of shipping you paid for. Online shopping is totally safe, you just have to be careful.

9. Far_Mur_Jo

Far_Mur_JoNew Member

Threads:
    Online shopping is as safe as you let it be. If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is, and if you go into it hoping for it to be true, you will probably be let down.
    The best thing to do while shopping online is research! Nothing will save you more time, money and trouble than researching the retailers you buy from - there are tons of sites that work as a rating pool of retail sites and such, and if that doesn't work, bet on PayPal.

10. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    As long as you pay with PayPal, your credit card info will not be revealed to the seller, and you'll have the chance to open (and escalate) a dispute in order to get your money back in case you receive faulty items, or never receive them at all.

11. joshAnthony

joshAnthonyNew Member

Threads:
    That's a yes and no kind of response question. It is safe when you are buying from trustworthy sites. Well for me I only buy from trustworthy sites and sites that have good feeback and track records. I only purchase electronics and clothing online and purchase from reliable sources and I use paypal to hide my credit card information.

12. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Online shopping is no different from offline shopping. If you look around and compare prices, you can get a good deal. If you are foolish and greedy, then you are likely to be scammed. If you don't show anyone how much you have in your purse, you should be alright. If you hand your purse to a stranger, then you are asking to be robbed.

13. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is different because the internet is a haven for fraudsters. I do think internet shopping is secure in most cases but there are plenty of people who have been victims of fraud. Even the banks can be compromised by hackers.

14. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I've never shopped on the sites you mentioned, but when I do shop online I make sure to only shop on sites that are https. Https is basically a way of letting visitors to the site know that the site is secure. When providing your online information, if the site does not have https, be careful providing your personal information. Always proceed with caution when shopping online cause you never know when your credit card or debit card information may be jeopardize. Also, online shopping is a great way to find deals and save extra money on a purchase.

#34Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  15. himali.jagma

himali.jagmaMember

Threads:
    According me it is not safe. we can see that now a days so many cyber/ internet crime arise

16. liverr

liverrNew Member

Threads:
    Luckily, I can say I have never had an issue when purchasing an item online. Like many posters here have said, it is vital that you research the validity of a website before putting in credit card information and "buying" something. I've seen numerous websites advertising amazing deals for games and technology that seemed too good to be true and sure enough, a simple Google search leads me to terrible customer service reviews for the site and even law enforcement investigations. Using a little care when online shopping can save you a lot of money, time, and headaches.

17. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it is safe if you know what you're buying. If you want to be on the safe side, I would suggest using big online names like eBay or Amazon. Smaller websites sometimes scam you, and don't ship at all. Be careful when buying something online.

18. steve057

steve057New Member

Threads:
    Yes Online Shopping is safe.i want to share my experience with you guys..before some days i listened about a new shopping site carryurstyle.com and from there I bought some sunglasses and T-shirts...i am very satisfied with their services because i got my order on time at cheap prices...

19. LucyDavid

LucyDavidNew Member

Threads:
    It is kind of safe for me. I always buy things from Amazon, but for big budget things, I won't choose online shopping.

20. shane002

shane002Banned

Threads:
    I agree with Parker. You must know the site before you buy. I feel that you should also adhere to the advice of not using your debit card to purchase online.