Is Online Shopping Worse Than Shopping In Person?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by unrealjoe • Feb 14, 2015.

1. unrealjoe

unrealjoeNew Member

Threads:
    I feel as if online shopping makes you buy more. Something in our genes. Thoughts?

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    The free shipping is always tempting and if the minimum purchase amount is reasonable, then one may find reason to do some early Christmas shopping. However, if a person gets the wrong item or doesn't like how something looks in person, it can be a hassle. Merchants usually know how to lay things out to entice people.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You shouldn't spend more money when you shop online. The one reason why most people opt to buy online is because they get to save more money than they would if they were to buy whatever they need from stores. If one finds online shopping to be unfriendly to their wallets then for the purpose of saving a little bit of money, they should stop shopping online.

4. redheadrebecca

redheadrebeccaNew Member

Threads:
    For me, online shopping helps me spend less money. When I go out shopping, I tend to go into shops "just to look" and come out with more things than I intended to buy. With online shopping, I know exactly what I'm looking for, and I buy it. There's less browsing, and I can get things for much cheaper as well!

5. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I still prefer to shop in person. Nothing beats than seeing your items personally and putting it on to see if it really fits. I don't go shopping often, but when I do, I make sure I have as much time as I need. The change of scenery from the house to the malls or shops is a big stress reliever for me.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree, online shopping is a lot more tempting since it's just way too easy and sometimes you're just way more in the mood to shop and not having to get dressed and go out doesn't give you time to get over that urge. Also seeing everything on screen and having any item pop up with only a few clicks or taps is just way too convenient.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not really into buying stuffs online. I agree, it's more convenient and pretty accessible anytime, but it doesn't work well for me. I will always prefer going to the mall and shop for myself. I love the experience of looking for something to purchase, and the feeling of euphoria when you see an item you really want to buy, and just to be able feel it in your hands. It's amazing.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I actually tend to purchase more in the store. I know that might not be the norm, but I end up seeing more as I pass by the aisles and then pick up more than I normally would. When I'm online, I'm more likely to just go for what I need. I might browse a little bit, but because I can't physically pick up and inspect the items, I don't tend to buy them.

9. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I like to actually see and feel what I am buying. The online shops do great with presentation, but there are so many things that could go wrong when you can not try something on or just investigate it close up. The only things I end up purchasing online, are items I am not able to get my hands on here; like specialty items. Another detergent is the import laws here, and some things have even been sent back without me ever seeing them.

10. Eiko

EikoMember

Threads:
    I'm a huge fan of shopping online. I have some severe panic attacks when I get into crowds or in lines for some reason and I end up usually putting everything back in it's spot and leaving to go back home and get really upset that I wasn't able to make it through with my plans.
    So I guess shopping online allows me to get what I want or need without the stress and anxiety that I would normally have to deal with.

But as always, when shopping online you need to make security a number one priority, no matter how good the deals seems or how long it's going on for.

11. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to prefer looking at what I am buying, and I do have concern about packages that are always just left on my porch. I love coming home and finding I got something great in the mail, but up till the time I actually have it I do worry about it disappearing on me.

Overall I have pretty good self control in the stores, I like to look and do not always feel like I have to buy. When I go out to shop I seldom go just to look around, I am going to get something that is the goal. I have found that when I want something like a new pair of boots it is easier to go online and look at the inventory and then see if the store has it. Last pair I bought I had the boot narrowed down to three pair and in the end I walked with the pair that looked the best for much less then it would have been if I had bought it online. The nice thing about online catalogs is you see how the different pieces are matched together and it is easier to pull together a look. I was never great at doing that on my own.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying online makes me spend less because I can add the item to my wishlist and take a couple of days to think about it. When you see a good item in the store and there are only two left, you feel pressured to buy it before it's gone. When you're shopping online and Amazon tells you that there are 25 left, you feel less pressured to make a decision and you can sleep on it.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it is more easy to just buy online, because it's just "digital money" and you can't physically see the money disappearing from your wallet, so it's easier to just click and buy. I actually tend to splurge when I'm buying things online than offline.

14. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    Eiko I understand your panic attacks in crowds. The same happens to me and I have been working through it for a while now. It is best to face it rather than run though. I got some free help from here

and maybe you can too.

15. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends solely on the person. I personally feel like shopping online is cheaper and better and probably more convenient. In terms of getting tempted on buying more, well it depends on what I'm buying actually. Sometimes you want to add another item just so you can reach that certain amount where you get free shipping.

16. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    It depends. Sometimes you'll end up spending more, the hit the threshold to get free shipping. Which I've done plenty of times, but only on Amazon, since the shipping prices are always crazy high for some reason. I personally prefer shopping online, since more selection, more sizes, I don't have any time limit and I can ALWAYS find a coupon code or two to make my purchase a little bit cheaper.

17. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    Although I end up purchasing more when shopping online (so much temptation!), I find that I usually spend less money, as I am able to get free shipping, use coupon codes, get cash back, and generally the price of the item is less than it would be in the store because I can more easily "shop around" for a better price until I am satisfied. I also think about what I saved in gas to drive to the store and any impulse food I would have purchased while being out shopping. That said, I believe it actually takes me longer to purchase an item online than it would have taken me in a store, because I can take my time and ponder the item, even over days/weeks, whereas in a store I am kind of in a hurry to get my item and get out because I don't enjoy crowds. The only other downside to shopping online to me is not being able to really see/hold the item beforehand. It is definitely a risk :)