Is Panera Bread Worth The Money?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Lisa Davis • May 19, 2016.

1. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Panera Bread chains seem to be popping up all over here and I have visited them a few times. My first complaint was that they discontinued my favorite cream cheese and my only reason for going in there in the morning. So alas, I stopped visiting in the mornings and went a few times with friends for lunch. For soup and half a sandwich (I'm still trying to figure out what they do with the OTHER half), I was paying around $8 and that didn't include my drink. It seems really expensive for what I was getting, although it was delicious. Does anyone else here frequent Panera Bread? Do you like it? Do you think it is worth the money?

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to say no. They do have pretty good food, but it is awfully expensive, and more than that it is the type of things that you can make on your own. It is just sandwiches and soup. There is really little cooking going on so I would say just go buy the ingredients and save yourself some money. Every time that I have been there it was a long line too so it ended up taking a while...I would rather just avoid that.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never gone to a Panera Breead resaurant, although there is one not too far away from where we live. My friend went there for lunch with her daughter, and she said she had the soup that came in one of the bread bowls, and she thought it was delicious.
    She didn't go back as far as I know, and she did say that she thought it was expensive; so that was probably the reason that she didn't eat there again.
    My husband does not like soup served in a bowl made from bread, and we already eat sandwiches made at home; so this is not a place that we are leikely to ever go to.

4. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    As Happyflowerlady mentioned, I too have never visited a Panera. There are plenty around town, but I'm not much of a soup person especially because the weather is usually hot in my area. I hear that they also sell sandwiches for which I'd rather visit a Quiznos or Subway or something. So I'd have to say, it's probably not worth it, at least to me it isn't. Panera is not a place that I would want to visit, I mean the food doesn't seem especially appetizing.

5. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I have also noticed that Paneras, unlike Subways and Quiznos (which another poster mentioned), never has any kind of coupons or specials that I have seen. So, on top of them being expensive, you're pretty much never going to get any kind of better pricing either. There must be some kind of draw to them though, because the two locations that are very close to me are ridiculously busy at all times.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Panera, and I have the soup in a cup and a roll on the side. I do think it's good value for the portion size and the quality of food. Personally I look at the size, and also the taste, and their pastries are good too. They may not be the cheapest, but they taste better than the cheaper ones, and are fresh. I usually have a plain croissant and freshly baked is worth it.

The meal deals seem pricey, but you are paying for quality and size and I saw someone with a grilled cheese and that was huge. I prefer this over Subway hands down which is cheap with fewer option.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, there are a few things I really like about Panera that keeps me going there. For one thing, I really like their free wifi that comes in very handy for me. Their rewards program which has given me a number of freebies over the years. The fact when you order an entree you get apple or chips making it a complete lunch, and their half priced bagel days where you can get a dozen of their premium bagels for half price, and just the overall atmsophere in Panera is nice.

8. cyclistbabe

cyclistbabeNew Member

Threads:
    I worked there so I can give you a little behind the scenes info! I can't speak for every Panera, but I can speak for my local ones.

For one, I personally don't think any of the food is worth the money. Even my managers would make remarks about how we were ripping people off. The Panera I worked at had a worker turnover rate that was through the roof because the higher ups were ridiculously hard on the cashiers and line cooks and raises, which were supposed to be given out semi-annually, we're never given out. My cousin also worked there for five years while in school and only received one 25 cent raise, and that was for a training program she did for several months to get promoted. I know for a fact that she's an exceptional worker and was infallible kind to staff and customers.

The restaurant itself wasn't cleaned well in the back, and the freezer had a corner with some expired food in it that had been there for a questionable amount of time, lol. We were told to mix old soup on the verge of expiring with the new soup and serve it to customers, but many of us would outright refuse or dump it when the manager walked away.

The case could be very different in a different area, but I trained in a few of the Paneras around me and the experience was the same. I hope this gives you some helpful insight!

9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    No, I would have to say it is not worth the money. When I was younger I used to go there quite frequently but now that I'm a little bit older and a little bit wiser I don't eat there nearly as often. Don't get me wrong, the food is great. Their sandwiches and paninis are delicious. But it's pretty ridiculous to pay $10-12 for a sandwich, chips and a drink on a regular basis. So while I enjoy their food immensely, it's definitely over priced by a couple of bucks. I use my rewards cards and they do throw in a decent amount of free stuff, so that's a bonus in their favor.

10. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I have never eaten there. Always wanted to try it, but I guess the only way I'll eat there is if I get a gift card to the place.

11. ladydaydream

ladydaydreamNew Member

Threads:
    Panera is definitely overpriced for what they serve. A sandwich, a cup of soup, and a drink could be made at home, and probably better than they could've done too! The only reason to go would probably to just make use if their free wi-fi and to have a few of their bakery items if you're craving a sweet. That's pretty much it. Save and make yourself a panini at home, dudes.

12. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    Whoa @cyclistbabe@cyclistbabe thank you for all the information in your post. I used to eat at Panera years ago because it was close to my office, but after reading up a bit more on budgeting, I rarely if ever eat lunch out anymore. It is just more convenient for me to pack at home and it is way cheaper than eating out anywhere. It's really sad to see they have such a low view of both staff and the importance of serving fresh food. I'm glad I don't eat there any more! If I do eat out, I much prefer a locally owned business. Last time I ate at Panera I was shocked how pricy it was and now that I hear about them serving old food and such.... never again!

13. MarshCat

MarshCatNew Member

Threads:
    I hadn't been there in years and actually just went a few weeks ago with my boyfriend. I was kind of disappointed too. The food was nice, but I noticed that the bread has a really hard/thick crust that's difficult to chew unless you are also ordering a bowl of soup to dip it in. Without the soup, it was kind of like chewing on wood. LOL It was a tasty sandwich aside from that, though. However, I agree, I'm not sure it is really worth the price. I think I'd be just as happy, if not happier, with a Subway sandwich.