Is Rap music destroying our youth?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by ericah23 • Aug 20, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    That's a stupid notion, no it's not. Rap is just a music genre, it can't hurt nobody. What's destroying our youths is what the Rap music promotes. Rap can promote good things and bad things, but it's up to the listener if he's dumb enough to take it all literally.

2. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    No. Rap music is not destroying young people. Even though I am not the biggest hip hop fan, I don't believe this genre of music is the sole reason why some youths may commit crimes or probably do drugs. Yes, some rap songs have explicit lyrics glorifying violence and drugs. I'm aware of that and the sad fact that some mainstream rap songs with this type of content get a lot of airplay. That's done by design through corporations who hope such damaging lyrics will eventually trickle down into reality. I've study sociology in college and often times, some youths who participate in criminal activity do so with the help of a dire socio-economic reality around them. Rap is too easy of a scapegoat for people to go with. Kids are going to sing silly songs most adults find dumb. I've done it as a teen and the trend will not go anywhere. Do people blame hardcore metal rock music for problems with kids who engage in alcohol, self harming and drugs but happen to live in a wealthier zip code? No. They don't. There's clearly other circumstances that takes place for youths to ultimately make decisions that are not in their best interest.

3. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I would say it plays its part, you find the youth these days repeating lyrics from the song and wearing their clothing like the rappers, Its all a fashion show and what words you state now, I have to say rap plays it part whether we realize it or not. We have to spend time with our youth and tell them be themselves and that they dont have to intimate any else fashion or lyrics.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Music doesn't influence someone. Whether it's rap, rock, death metal or whatever. If a song is about murdering policemen, which idiot would take that literally, take to the streets and try to kill a cop? If people do bad things because they want to, the blame shouldn't be on music, movies or video games they play. Everyone makes their own choices. If they make the wrong choices it's not because they music they listened to made them do it. They consciously chose to.

5. Mochaisis

MochaisisNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, I don't think so. I believe that youth having youth is destroying our youth. How can a person be a parent for he or she cannot sufficiently take care of him or herself. It has nothing to do with music, and everything to do with how ill prepared parents are nowadays to raise children, normally because they are children themselves. Sexualization of youth is destroying our youth, and I can't blame that on rap music. 16 and Pregnant is actually a show on TV, but when i was growing up, that would have been unheard of. The more you normalize a thing, the more normal it will become. That is just my opinion.