Is reading several chapters at a bookstore stealing?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by andrew320 • Jan 8, 2013.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I've always wondered what people and particularly bookstores thought of this. On Saturdays, I usually head to a bookstore near the coffee shop I spend a couple of hours in. I see people there all the time just sitting and reading. One time, I went in there and saw a man reading and when I passed by the store a few hours later I saw the same guy reading the same book.

Is this stealing? You're just reading the book on private property and you're not buying the book nor anything else. What do you think? I personally read a chapter and if I like it then I'll either buy it, look for it at a used bookstore or check out Amazon.

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'm amazed that bookstores allow this, because if someone is sitting reading a book, it's going to damage the book in some way, so that it doesn't look in brand new condition. Basically, the reader is depriving the store of the full price and therefore the profit on the book, so yes, in a way it is stealing.

When I worked in an airport shop, if I saw people reading the magazines and newspapers, I'd go over and say, 'This is not a lending library - either buy that, or put it down.' In most instances, they'd be shamed into buying it. Maybe that's the tack the bookstores should use.

3. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    If the book store allows it, how can it be stealing? Just because the man you saw was there for a long time, it doesn't mean he didn't own the book he was reading. Stealing would be removing the book from the store without paying for it.

4. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's stealing. I think bookstores have seats for a reason. I think they want people to read.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never thought of it as stealing. I do it often especially when my budget is tight. The cost of books has dramatically increased over the past few years. Paperback cost what hardcover books used to be. Some books don't live up to their book jacket or cover. I like to read the book to see if it will live up to its description.

6. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    If bookstores allow these people to come in regularly and read like this, they're going to be their preferred shop when buying a book. It makes them more money than "shaming" them into buying a book once and having them never come back. As Treighsie pointed out, there are big, comfortable chairs in bookstores for a reason. I mostly see this in big stores anyway, like Barnes And Noble, and I don't think they're hurting for money. If the store cared they wouldn't have the plush chairs and would actually instruct employees to say something.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree that if the store allows it, actually encourages it, then it is not stealing. However, people should have a little more courtesy and read a sampling, not the entire book.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with others here that it's not stealing if the bookstore allows and encourages it. One could say that it's "not nice" because the bookstore is not making any money off you reading their books, but frankly (judge me if you must) that wouldn't stop me. I don't usually go to bookstores because the library is more accessible to me, but I would absolutely read a book in a bookstore without buying it, especially if I knew I was never going to read it again after having read it once.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also agree that if the bookstores allow it, then it must be perfectly ok to read all you want inside a bookstore without buying the book. I think that they do this so that the more times a person spends inside a bookstore reading, the more chances that it may equate to more book sales, because once a person gets engrossed in reading a book, since he can't finish a whole book in one day, then he has no choice but to buy the book if he wants to continue reading it.

10. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is stealing either as long as the owner of the bookstore is allowing it then I don't see where it is a problem. Also , who's to say he hasn't already purchased the book and was just sitting down there to read it. Which ever the case, if the owner allows it , then it is not stealing.:D

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often read several pages from a book when I am trying to make up my mind. I don't think it is stealing if you look at the book or magazine for hours I would think the management would suggest the person make a purchase or move on so that a person that may actually be making a purchase get to the book stand.

12. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm surprised a business would let you do that. You wouldn't be allowed to read a newspaper or magazine in a newsagents without buying it. Maybe the shop also sells food & drink? Or maybe the guy was a friend of the owner?

13. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I think the chairs and such at the bookstore are meant for people to be able to sit down and read a chapter or two to decide if they might like the book. Not to sit for hours.

14. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Bookstores are not drop-in centers. They are not public libraries.
    Not necessarily theft but still. .
    Ryder13

15. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think it encourages sales in some instances because people might buy some coffee/a snack from the food area that so many bookstores seem to have. Bookstores seem like hangout areas where people go to read and study, and I think that's better than scaring everyone off and having an empty bookstore. The first step of selling something is getting people into your store, everything else after that is easier. I don't really think it's stealing, but I do think that they should buy something while they're there, whether it be a snack or a book.

16. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. There are public libraries for a reason. You are free to drop into those libraries and read all the books you want. They're free for you to read or to take home to return when you're done. I think that a bookstore is not a public library. If you are going to use the bookstore in that capacity, at least be a paying customer.

To add onto my first part, treating a business like this is fine if you are paying for it. Get a drink, a snack, or make some other purchases once in a while. Bookstores are great places to read, study, and hang out with friends - but that all costs something. Be sure to be a customer, not just a freeloader taking up space, using their products and services, and e petting these types of places to continue to let you in with open arms.