Is Refilling Plastic Bottles Harmful?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • May 5, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I buy a good amount of bottled water because I usually like having something to drink while I walk in malls or shop for groceries, and I often don't finish it and bring the bottles home so I'm able to refill them for future use. This comes in Handy for when I plan to drive long distances so I'd always have water to drink in the car, but I've recently heard that re-using plastic bottles often may have some harmful effects, and I'd like to hear from you guys if you think this is just one of those rumors or if it has some plausibility or legitimacy behind it.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People have been reusing plastic bottles forever and they've not had any health issues. Does it mean that they're making bottles that should be used only once then disposed or sent back to the company for recycling? If I read their motives right, I think they just want to reduce the number of bottles which are made. After all if a bottle is used once and sent back, all they'll do is clean it up and use it again. It's good for the environment, right?

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the problem might be with germs. The plastic bottles are not easy to clean when you plan to re-use them, so bacteria that likely got in them from initially drinking from them, will only continue to grow. Aside from that, I don't think there are any issues to worry about with plastic bottles as long as you aren't filling them with hot water (which can cause chemicals to leech into your water) or leaving them in a hot location, such as in direct sunlight.

You could just as easily pick up a sturdy refillable sports bottle, preferably something made out of metal, rather than plastic, and just carry that with you instead. Perhaps even invest in a Zero Water system to make clean tasting water to fill them with. A Zero Water filter will last months, and is much cheaper than buying cases of bottled water all the time.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I've been reusing plastic bottles for a long time and I never heard anything about this being harmful. Still, common sense is the norm and after using the bottle for a while I throw it away. I get new bottles often so there's no point in using one for years. If you're using your own clean bottles this is a great way to save some cash by not spending on plastic recipients. Personally, I use the bottles mostly for water (when I'm running/sleeping).

5. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have plastic water bottles for my bike. They get washed on occasion because they get splattered in mud and other road debris. As long as plastic water bottles are on the market for cyclists and others, I am comfortable with reusing a plastic bottle. Some plastics are better than others and we do need to take care to avoid letting bacteria grow but refilling the bottles shouldn't be an issue.

The first problem is that chemicals may leech out of the plastic and into the water you drink. If this were a real issue then it would happen with the water that is originally in there. The second issue is bacteria. The best way to avoid this is to change the water frequently. If you reuse a bottle, don't leave it sitting in the car for a couple of weeks before drinking it as you are giving any germs time to grow. Don't reuse bottles from sweet products as the sugar can be a source of food for the bacteria to grow.

6. DavidNeel

DavidNeelNew Member

Threads:
    I think, it is not good idea because Plastic water bottles are often hard to clean and it may leak chemicals into the water when reused, especially if cleaned in a high-heat environment like your dishwasher. These chemical may cause cancer. I never used the plastic water bottles.

7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, the issue here is chemicals leeching out. This is more prone to happening when the bottles are reused a lot and get worn down. I don't find this to be threatening and I'll refill my bottles a time or two. However, if you drink water on the go often, I'd recommend buying a water filter system and a chemical free reusable bottle. You'll save money over time and can cut down on the amount of plastic you're using.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yea, the only thing I could think of is germs and plastic bottles aren't exactly all that easy to clean. I would just invest in a nice reusable water bottle that you can just stick in the dishwasher. I got mine for about $15 and it's been one of the best investments I've ever made in my life. I drink way more water per day than I ever did before and it's no hassle at all to clean.

9. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    There have been concerns over BPA in plastic bottles, and I would want to be sure that whatever bottle you're using doesn't contain it, but anything produced in the last few years is most likely certified safe. That's especially a concern if you're heating the bottle (microwave or dishwasher) but better safe than sorry. Other than that, it's a wise choice for sure to have a plastic bottle you can reuse rather than using a new bottle each time.