Is Renting Better Than Buying?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Denis Hard • Dec 12, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Renting a DVD/Blu-ray disc doesn't cost much. But does buying a used DVD/Blu-ray disc. Now unlike renting, once you buy a used DVD you can get the value of your money back by exchanging your DVD for another. And if you have a large number of friends the $5 you spent on one DVD will get you more than 20 DVDs and at the end of it, you'll get your DVD back and add it to your collection.

Which of the two would you prefer? Buy a used DVD or rent and watch it ONLY once?

IMHO, buying does save you money in the long run.

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I would much rather rent or just wait for it to go on cable/Netflix. I see little need for extra physical clutter around my house from buying DVDs, I would rather just have them in digital format, or rent/borrow the physical disk and return it after viewing.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would just buy a used 1 if it costs only around $4, lol. Otherwise, I would just download movies via torrents, which is better because it's free and doesn't take up any physical space in my opinion. Also, over here, for $2+ you can buy pirated movies in blu-ray that are like, 10 to 12 movies in 1 disc, so that's obviously more bang for your buck.

#3Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I never get physical copies anymore but sometimes I will check the bargain bins and I think if you buy exclusively from those piles you are getting more bang for your buck than if you rented. If you plan on watching the latest movies then I'd say renting them might be a cheaper option just because a full priced disc just costs too much considering the many cheaper alternatives that are already out these days.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would buy as renting puts pressure on you to watch it and also if you damage the disk you are liable. These days the prices come down fairly quickly and many stores compete on prices too. In addition many will price match, so once someone discounts then you get them to match it. If you get tired of it, you can always sell it on ebay or amazon, so you have more control.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy a ton of DVDs and CDs, but that was back past 2010. Now I rather download from the internet, stream the movie, or simply watch movies for free on a internet service like Netflix. The only DVDs I would still buy are special editions or series packs fro movies or TV shows.

7. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I prefer to go with renting now as opposed to buying them brand new since I do not usually revisit movies I've watched before. With cheap rental fees and a wide variety to choose from, it definitely beats having to deal with the dilemma of whether to allow the almost brand-new discs to sit and collect dust or to give/sell them away at a loss. I realised that many have considered the alternative of streaming online or torrenting etc. That isn't exactly legal is it :rolleyes:

8. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I really cannot remember the last time that I have actually bought a DVD. Normally what I do these days is that I just wait for the movie to come out on netflix and then I just watch it there. I really do not have the time anymore to go out and rent movies.