is Ross a good value?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by vagabondmom • Jun 21, 2012.

1. vagabondmom

vagabondmomNew Member

Threads:
    I recently moved to a neighborhood that has a Ross next door to our closest Target. I'm normally content to shop Wal-Mart, Target and even Goodwill for clothes and some housewares. The last time I bought clothes at a department store was probably 3 years ago.

I've seen some good prices at Ross and I've made some impulse buys. But now I wonder how it compares to other places. And I guess now that I'm getting the shopping bug I want to know I'm not spending too much. I know Marshall's is part of the same company. Are the clothes/prices any different there? Kohl's used to be my old stand-by. Can I get deals that are just as good there?

And how does Ross compare in quality to department stores? I'm a little skeptical about their claims of carrying department store Overstock. I can see some things... but surely not an overwhelming amount.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes you will see the store tag that the clothes came from still on the clothes. I have found good deals at Ross, but you have to really look through the clothes or household items to find what you are looking for. I get more household items than clothes from Ross.

3. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I shop at Ross all the time and I find great deals. I prefer their clothes because they have more of a selection to choose from, it's better than Target or Walmart. I've seen name brand clothes in Ross that was marked down because of a sewing problem. I bought it and I got it for 30% off because a string was hanging from the bottom of the shirt. When I got home I cut the string, and problem solved. Don't let anything stop you from getting a deal. Ross is my best friend.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I shop at Ross all the time. I find get bargains in women's clothes, handbags, household items and linen. I've never really been disappointed by anything I've purchased at Ross. I also shop at Marshall's but not as much. I do find great shoe and handbag bargains at Marshall's. I'm not a fan of Kohls.

5. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of them before, are they a regional shop or not? What kind of products do they sell?

6. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I have had good luck there. You still have to know your prices, but like the others have said, they often have name brand merchandise.

7. bargainbabe

bargainbabeActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the location and the merchandise they have available in stock. It also depends on how much you are willing to look. I consider Ross very similar to those outlet-type stocks, in which the racks are never ending and you can't just expect the bargains to jump right out at you (in spite of the fact that they market it that way). You have to look and find what you need. It also helps to go with a purpose (i.e. getting a skirt) and stick with it. Just going without a purpose may drive you crazy.

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    They're a good store and I do enjoy shopping from them. However, you need to actually look around because the deals aren't just sitting there. They have a lot of good brands and names in their stock and they restock fairly frequently. Their customer service isn't too bad, but I would advise not going around payday.

9. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I honestly think Ross is a great store as long as you are patient and you search for deals. There are brand name selections there just as much as there are brands you've probably never heard of. There is plenty of variety and you can walk out with up to 75% off of what the original ticketed price was for most items in the store if you find the right deals.

The only downside I see at Ross when I go is that its very unorganized and usually very busy so the lines can be long but I think that may just be regional. Down here Ross Stores are very popular.

10. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    You can find some really good deals on name brand clothing and items. The problem is in finding them. Ross carries a lot of brands that I have never even heard of. If I buy something there, I do look for either a name brand or really scrutinize the item for any potential problems before purchasing it.

11. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I think you get good deals at Ross. Its more designer clothes, so its a better quality of clothing that you would usually get at Walmart or Target, but paying about the same price. Of course the best day to go is Thursdays cuz thats when they get the new stuff in.

12. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't shop regularly at Ross's but when I do I usually shop at the clearance section at Ross's. They have the best deals there. You can find clothes really cheap.

13. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    Not only do I look for sales, I look for quality items. I remember once I shopped in Ross and I found two expensive suits in there. They were good quality and lined. I was so impressed with that. I don't have a Ross close to me, but I wish I did.

14. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I do not shop there very often but they do have some good quality stuff. If you are ok with shopping at Goodwill, you will definitely enjoy Ross.

15. joe128139

joe128139New Member

Threads:
    Ross tends to have a lot of name brand clothes that I find to be still in style, and at much lower prices. Under any circumstance though, I would go there first when buying button up shirts for work. They can be had for like 10-15 dollars a piece!

16. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    The thing about Ross is that if you're willing to rummage around through the clothes then you'd find some good deals. I'm not really into that so I don't shop there that often. But the few times that I've actually spent there digging around I've walked away with some really good quality clothes and brand named clothes for discount prices.

17. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Ross's have a lot to choose from with latest styles at really good prices. Rarely do you find seconds. Their dress selection is superior to any store similar. Shoes are hit and miss though, but don't let that stop you. With all the other things they carry, having to go elsewhere for shoes is no big deal.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like stores like Marshall's ,Ross and TJ Maxx because there's a treasure hunt aspect to them. If you have a free afternoon to look through the racks and shelves you can sometimes find something you love on clearance. I love when that happens.
    You never know what will turn up at these stores and that's exciting.

19. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I think if you take time to try on the clothes and make sure they look and fit properly then there is no better value when clothes shopping. They have real name brands for the same price that some crap Walmart shirt costs and they don't shrink after the first time you wash it.

20. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    From the comments it seems they have good things, at reasonable prices. I have never shopped there, only heard about them. I put them in a category such as Marshalls, now I hear they are part of the same chain. I love Kohl's, their items, or I should say the items I have purchased there, were of good quality.