Is Subway Healthy?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hillaryNC • Jan 20, 2014.

1. hillaryNC

hillaryNCNew Member

Threads:
    I always thought that subway was healthy, mainly because it's a sandwich with veggies! But recently, I have heard people saying that subway is actually bad for you! This basically ruins my whole diet, so I was just wondering if this was true?

2. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I love Subway. I think the sandwiches are healthy. But I dont really recommend that you eat it everyday.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on what you get on them. Not all of their sandwiches are healthy. The meatball sub and tuna salad are obviously high in fat, but so will any other sub on the menu, if you have them put cheese and full fat mayo on the whole thing (which they squirt an awful lot on). Also, if you are getting footlongs instead of 6 inch subs, that too is going to add a lot more calories.

I've watched them squirt mayo across a footlong sub, and if you were to measure that out, it's like several tablespoons of it. 1 Tbsp Mayo = 10g of fat, so if there were like 4 Tbsp on it (which is being modest) that turns your sandwich into a 40g fat bomb, and that's not even counting the cheese.

4. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Anything can be unhealthy if too much is eaten. But for Subway, it should be healthy unless they lie about their freshness. If their meats are proper and are not "bad" like how MacDonalds make their meat, then it should be fine. They make claims about how healthy their sandwiches are but still if you do eat too much of it, you can expect to possibly gain some weight in the long run. What kind of sandwiches do you plan to eat from there?

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    The only way for food to be healthy is that you make sure it is by preparing them yourself. Any food that is sold outside isn't good for you. Not that you shouldn't eat them at all, mind you but you should only have them from time to time. Who knows what kind of ingredients they have in the food they serve, so don't eat them too often.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think ohiotom said it all. Subway has all the options for us to have an healthy meal, note the word options, ultimately it's always our choice. If we ask for unhealthy ingredients while we have healthy ones right by them who should we blame, ourselves or Subway? Pretty much the same with the other restaurants, they do have healthy choices even if sometimes they are of their menus. ;)

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't consider bread to be healthy, but that's me. Their meat is heavily processed, not healthy (god, is it even meat anymore?), their veggies are completely depleted of nutrients by the time they hit your sandwich. Do your research and look into each ingredient. No, Subway is not healthy in the least, but I do know most people don't care about actual health when they ask this question.. they just want to know if it will make them fat.

8. bigboss25

bigboss25New Member

Threads:
    I think that Subway is very good for you.

As far as sodium is concerned, the only thing that I would go light on is the mayonnaise when building your sandwich.

9. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty sure that it can depend on what you order, you can always layer on the cheese if you wish and that's not very healthy. I'm a vegetarian and I tend to layer on all the vegetables except the onions (I can't stand onions) so I don't take the meat. I'm guessing that the sauces are usually what will have the most non-healthy factors, I tend to stick with one sauce per sub (I forgot the name of the sauce that I normally take). The bread might also have some unhealthy factors as well, but like someone said above, I also don't recommend it to be eaten every day.

10. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, Subway is only healthy if you order an all veggie salad (with spinach) or a veggie sandwich (on wheat bread). Otherwise, it's just like junk food at a fast food restaurant. All the meats are all processed (shipped as is) so I don't consider that to be healthy. But most people swear that Subway is "fresh and healthy" as they market themselves.

11. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Subway is definitely much healthier than other fast food restaurants.

Just be careful about what you put on it, like other people said. Skip mayonnaise and other fatty toppings, and only use cheese in moderation. Try using whole wheat bread and loading your sub up with lots of veggies and a low-fat and low-calorie meat, like turkey.

12. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    Silly question, you see what's in their yourself so wouldn't you be able to guess roughly how (un)healthy it is based on that?!
    The meat is processed meat and most of the sauces seem to be quite full of calories and fat. Apart from that, I don't see anything unhealthy being put into the sandwich.

13. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    To me, it seems to be the healthiest fast food chain out there. It tops Burger King, McDonalds, KFC and others. Why?

First off, their stuff reminds me of homemade sandwiches. Second, they don't use a lot of fat. Third, it's all pretty simple. No questionable additional components.

14. forest_kitten

forest_kittenNew Member

Threads:
    You can very easily find calorie information online to any fast food restaurant, including Subway.

If you go into subway and get a footlong meatballs marinara smothered in cheese, it won't be healthy. If you get a veggie patty or any lean meat (chicken breast, turkey cold cuts) and a ton of vegetables for flavor instead of cheese and dressing, you will be able to balance out your lunch much better.

I feel healthy after eating at subway because I can load up on vegetables and fill up on dense food without going over my caloric limit. But I also see a lot of people getting huge sandwiches without a single veggie on them - that's not really the point of subway, I think.

15. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it is reasonably healthy because you can get lots of veggies on your sub. However, I do think some of those vegetables are not totally fresh, I mean some of the peppers and such look like they come from a salt brine. I think the main thing is to be cognizant of what you are putting on your sub. I try to always get a variety of veggies when I get a sub..so I think it is pretty healthy I also opt for like a cold cut sub instead of some of the fattier ones. Cold cuts aren't good for you either...but better than some of the other choices.

16. Naturalbeauty92

Naturalbeauty92New Member

Threads:
    Subway is indeed healthy. On every military base there is a subway and GNC. Like any food, If you eat too much of it the consequences could be weight gain or something else. I usually get wheat bread with turkey. I make sure I have a lot of veggies and no mayo. I think subway tops any restaurant when it comes to nutrition.

17. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I hate the moment when your sandwich is halfway done and the personnel finds out that they lack some sauce you need. It ruins the whole taste sometimes. And you can't just say... nah, I wouldn't eat that crap. Of course, you can but you'd better not If want to get back to that place again.

18. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on what you order as well. Generally though, it's a safer option than other fast food chains. If you order something vegan with as little dressing like mayonnaise as possible, then you're fine. Consider going for the wheat bread as well to have more fibre in your diet. And with regards to the meat, I think it's okay to have them. They are not the healthiest, but they don't taste as salty or as processed as other burgers I've tried.

A few healthy options from Subway would be:

• Veggie Delite
    • Oven Roasted Chicken
    • Roast Beef
    • Turkey Breast
    All of these are under 400 calories, which would be acceptable for a meal. Skip the soda and the chips as well. Opt for water and some apples as a side dish.

I hope this helps!

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always buy the 6-inch sandwich of Subway because that's the most I can consume. And my reason for buying in Subway is not the health issue but the taste. I love their bread and I love the freedom to choose the toppings. Now with that health issue, it is in the choice of toppings I guess. Too much spices is not good for the tummy especially if you have an acidic stomach. With the meat, it's the same. Eating Subway sandwiches every day might be anathema to your health. As a rule, it is moderation that makes us healthy.

20. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have no trouble eating Subway every once and while. It is definitely a healthier fast good option than McDonald's. I'll usually choose a multrgrain bun, lots of veggies and the oven roasted chicken. I feel like I'm getting healthy grains, at least a serving or two of veggies and some protein. What more could you ask for? My kids love Subway too so it's an easy choice when we are looking for a quick bite to eat. Also pricewise it's cheaper than eating at McDonald's or Wendy's. I agree moderation is the key. Go for a 6 inch sub rather than the 12 inch.
    Here is an interesting article.