Is technology advancing too fast?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lindbergh • Apr 21, 2013.

1. mansawalta

mansawaltaMember

Threads:
    I think a lot of companies have the latest of technologies already at their disposal but ten to release them bit by bit so that they can make more sales.....a good example was apple with the iphone. The iphone 3 came out and within a few months the iphone 3g came out.......did they forget to put 3g on the phone?. I think not....they just wanted to make more money by witholding one or two things and forcing consumers to upgrade

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yup, this is true. But like they say, don't put all your eggs in one basket and don't show all your cards. Companies like Apple make loads of money by releasing gadgets in bits. It's like Twilight Breaking Dawn. Rather than putting it all in one movie, they divided it into two parts which is really unnecessary.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think these upgrades are being held back to see how the first product does on the market, when it does well the upgrade is brought to market. There is a never ending upgrade for technology. I try not to get to excited by the new gadgets because there is always another one coming like a train.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. The only reason that this is still being done is because it works and it keeps on working. People need something to talk about and brag about constantly, so they just fill that need by having something to bring out almost every month. Once the market stops asking for it, I believe they will stop doing this, because that's how supply and demand works. Unfortunately, I believe that the system is too strong now to ever falter or change, and we're just going to have to be smarter with our own purchases and hope for the best.

5. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    Technology is not moving fast, marketers just become great at marketing. Releasing a product then after 2 weeks another better one. They are just getting sales. Its all planned. Actually what I think when they create a new phone, they have different variations, it slike basic with limited function, normal with normal functions, and extreme with a lot more functions or features. Of course they are going to release the basic first then after 2 weeks they will release the normal, fanatics would opt to sell their basic to get the normal and lastly, the extreme which fanatics again would try to get the extreme. And that is just the basic idea.

6. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    I believe so... Technology and Electronics both are advancing towards the betterment of the planet. :)

7. burdianex

burdianexNew Member

Threads:
    ~ No. There are too many people in the world who are in control to let that happen. I don't know how many people realize this- but almost everything that happens around you happens because of a contract and decisions made behind closed doors, and this includes the pace of technology even down to it's actual release date. It can also be stopped in a notice if it is agreed upon by the powers to be. There is new technology being planned and tested behind closed doors that the public is not even aware of yet. It all happens at a very slow and deliberate pace. But it SEEMS (appears) explosive to the public because of course there is a release DATE not dates- which means in public perception it appears to happen all at once.

Of course things do get out of control (ie spam) - there is always a dark side to everything- but I don't think the dark side could become powerful enough to take over.

But I know I don't think things are happening too fast- I think the people who release the technology know what they are doing in releasing it to the public.

~ In my opinion, technology, like any tool, can be dangerous when used improperly (the state of the planet as evidence; pollution etc.).. so I think speed bumps in the road of technology, hypothetically, could be a good thing. That being said, we are at a point when technology may be our only salvation, from the ravages of past and present misuses of technology, and speed being of utmost importance. The alternative is the elimination of technologies for a very long time, while the planet heals itself; that's not an option, unless the planet makes that choice for us...:)

8. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    I'm completely for technology advancing quickly, as long as people continue to support the old technology for a reasonable amount of time. It's not needed to have the latest technology as long as the old technology lets you do what you need to.

Some people seem to feel that they really need the latest devices. I have an iPhone 4, but really my old Samsung Galaxy Ace has most of the same functions, despite being a lot older.

I do feel that advances in technology could come faster in certain areas. Environmental is a big one, probably partially because there's not a great amount of funding.

9. Teddysean

TeddyseanNew Member

Threads:
    I have no huge problems with the rate at which technology is advancing. A few years ago I was playing Doom on a windows OS, and now I am playing Crysis in 1080p on a Macintosh laptop. At this rate, we'll be using virtual reality helmets to surf in our living room within the next few years. A minor problem is that, usually, by the time at which i can purchase the newest cell phone tech, 3 newer versions have already been released.

10. chriswild1122

chriswild1122New Member

Threads:
    I wish it would advance faster! The only company that seems to be bringing us into the world of the future is Apple; I expected flying cars by now! I'm half joking but the sentiment is real. The internet is perhaps the greatest invention of the last 20 years but I feel like we could do even more with it. I saw wireless lightbulbs today at the Apple Store and I thought wow! Now there's an idea - use this technology in an energy saving way! I think the internet has the power to change the entire planet FOR THE BETTER; we just have to figure out how to use it for this purpose.

11. Teddysean

TeddyseanNew Member

Threads:
    I guess that's one downside, but the rate at which old phones get cheaper and cheaper is an awesome thing. It's good to be able to buy a year old phone for over less than half price.

12. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I think the best way to handle technology is to do the research, make the best purchase for yourself, and don't look back afterwards. You'll always see better things after the fact. Oh, and never purchase things for the sake of having the "latest and greatest", unless you have the budget for it.

13. AngryItalian

AngryItalianMember

Threads:
    I think the advancement in technology is great. The fast pace means much more to the world than it does to personal needs. Anyhow, the improvement increases the strength of the human race. I think everything should advance fast paced, we would have so much more to offer that way.

14. kidensika

kidensikaNew Member

Threads:
    In your scenario it is not really that technology is moving too fast. I would saythat phone companies are facing a lot of competition and if they do not catch up then they may lose place in the market. Looking at technology as a whole i feel as though we took too long to get here. The human civilization has been around for a long time and we are only seeing major advances in technology recently so i think its too slow.

15. darelle4

darelle4Member

Threads:
    I honestly think that technology is moving too fast, however there may be a good excuse for that because consumers now get tired of products too fast and this is something that the manufacturers and suppliers have picked up on as a part of studying how consumers operate. Before a product is release many consumers are already looking for something more advanced and you can't blame them for that.

16. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think there is a such thing as technology moving too fast. I think technology is progressing very well, everyday there is an advancement. I am very satisfied by technology advancements.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this question will also be answered differently depending on the age group you ask lol. Many young people now don't know a world without technology. I made it through all of my teens without worry of my antics being posted on youtube.. no cell phones. And that wasn't that long ago! lol. So yes, it's advancing very fast compared to the snails pace many of us grew up with. To those born later, fast is all they've ever known.

18. Jaxter

JaxterNew Member

Threads:
    I think the faster it advances the better it is! This is also coming from a guy in his mid twenties so for me trying to stay on top of the latest technology trends and advancements isn't too hard. I think with every technology upgrade to your smartphone or TV for example, it only improves upon the last model making it better so as long as it improves its predecessor I am all for it.

It's also really great in the medical field as hopefully when technology advances, treatments for diseases can be more easily cured.