Is the difference noticeable when upgrading an internet plan?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by lavenderblue • Mar 4, 2014.

1. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    I've had a basic Comcast internet plan. It has been fairly stable but I do wonder how increased speeds may increase my productivity. Even fun stuff like watching Youtube, videos take a while to buffer. Sometimes I want to backup files and upload speeds take hours. Anyone have Comcast and have experience with upgrading internet? Was it worth it and an appreciable difference?

Thanks in advance. :D

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use Comcast but nonetheless will attempt to answer your question objectively.

Your internet speed is determined by several factors some of which may be beyond your ISPs power to remedy. For example depending on how your ISP configures your internet service the speeds could either be slow or fast. Check your internet speed [there are lots of online tools that will get you the answer] and if the speeds are below what Comcast promised you call them and explain that to them.

On the other side, the traffic a web-site is receiving at a particular time could make the page load slowly which on your side would appear like your internet connection being slow when in fact, it could be quite fast. The more the surfers there are on a site, the slower that site will load.

p.s You could also try

and see if their tips will help solve your problem.

3. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    Thank you for the in-depth and lengthy reply! I haven't heard of that site and could definitely use those tweaks, so that was super helpful. :D My internet speed has a very high download speed and, as is typical for Comcast, a lower upload speed which is really annoying for backups. I'm not sure if I trust Comcast for providing decent reliable upload speeds though. As of now I think I'll stick with the current plan since as you mentioned, many other factors could have an effect on the sites I visit like overall traffic.

4. yossup

yossupMember

Threads:
    If you're talking about upgrading within the Comcast network, then no you won't see a big difference. Sometimes you'll see a big difference if you live in an area that gives you lower-than-expected speeds and then you upgrade. But most of the time, you won't see better speeds than 20-25 mbps. So if you're already seeing these speeds, just leave it.

5. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends on your ISP bandwidth. You can check to see if they are providing you with the bandwidth that you are paying for. Sometimes they might cap it so that you thin the plan is slow so that you decide to upgrade. That is stealing from you. You can also upgrade if you see that the plan is slow for all your needs.