Is the United States becoming too "politically correct"?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Gin0710 • Nov 15, 2014.

1. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    Schools are no longer allowed to celebrate holidays to prevent offending someone who doesn't celebrate that holiday, we can't say Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukah for fear of offending someone, stores are open on Thanksgiving for those who don't celebrate Thanksgiving. It's great that we are so accomidating but I feel like we are losing the spirit of this country. I don't know. I don't want to offend anyone either, but this was America first before it was anything else. How are we supposed to keep America alive if our traditions are dying or being "bought out" by corporations. Ah! I'm getting mad!

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately this has been happening in the UK too, more to appease the Muslim community. I can understand schools say a Jewish school, but I do feel other religions should accept the religion of the land they are in. Jewish schools have their own holidays and it's accepted everywhere.

Some can see it as a way to celebrate all holidays, but when it is used in fear of upsetting others I do feel it is wrong, for example a Town Hall with a large Muslim community couldn't put up Happy Easter posters in case it offended others. Easter is a major holiday in the UK with several Bank Holidays (Public Holidays) and everyone enjoys the several long weekends. By tip toeing around the celebration is wrong when everyone, takes the time off whether they celebrate Easter or not. It seems hypocritical in many ways, enjoying the holiday it provides (paid holiday for workers) but not accepting what it stands for.

3. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    The U.S. or British Government are 2-dimensional entities that can't tell or force any man or woman not do an action or think! It's a fictional concept in the minds of people, a title to a building, or written on something - it's not a living entity. It is a man or woman, who can tell or force another human to stop acting or thinking. U.S.A. and Britain, are nations that operate in Common Law or Law: common to people, meaning anything one did not voluntarily choose directly to contract orally or ascribed to, cannot be held responsible or liable for it, unless one does do harm, injury, or wrong to another fellow man or woman.

Think of the term citizen as a avatar one uses to do commerce and interact in a society or nation, because that's all it is. So, when one is acting under the title called Citizen, then those acting in a capacity or status above one's avatar can rule you [plural; means one and their avatar] to no do or think in a certain way, practice, or custom, because one chose to play the part of being a Citizen. However, in order not to play, all one has to do is declare to the trespassing man or woman acting under another title,"I am a man [or woman], and I know you do not want to harm, injure, or do wrong to I a man [or woman]?" For he/she who imply or express a question, is in control of a conversation - never answer public servant's questions, however do all of their orders and later hand the public servant a bill of particulars showing one's performance and charges, because a man or woman living in the nation called U.S.A. must be paid for their performance - no involuntary slavery; however, voluntary slavery is okay.

Man and woman, are the creators of all titles and all external Governments, and did so to use such ideas as instruments for their benefit only; thus, when it no longer one as a man or woman of the public, one can simply choose not to act under that title with the switch located in one's mind.

You all have to know your grammar very well and how to apply it in a performance when one is in public - it's a lifestyle. U.S.A., is the land of the "self-govern."

#3Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can see where a public place has to be non-denominational, and not favor one religion over another one. Businesses don't have religious beliefs, people do. So, if the city says no Christmas tree on the court house lawn, then that is their right to do that.
    However, what each person does on their own personal property , or at their church, is definitely up to the person to decide. If I want to decorate for Christmas, I can, and if my neighbor is Jewish and wants to celebrate their holidays, then that is their right.
    As far as wishing someone a Merry Christmas, we can do that if we want to do it, too. People who don't want to celebrate, should not have to; but then the company should not be closed during the holidays either.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. Everything and everyone has become far too sensitive to anything that could be construed as controversial. I just don't get why people feel the need to get all up in arms about issues that in the end really don't mean all that much or make all that much of a difference.

Saying "Merry Christmas" in a school is one example. My mom is a kindergarten teacher and she got in trouble last year when her class said "Merry Christmas!" at the end of their music performance. I guess some parent had called it "offensive" because she didn't celebrate Christmas and didn't think the school should be promoting Christian values. Just absolute nonsense in my opinion.

6. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I think in general the whole world has become too politically correct. I live in the UK, so I cannot comment directly on what goes on in the US. However, I have to say that in the UK you can barely speak or move for fear of offending someone. People are becoming too sensitive. Obviously, I am not promoting things such as racism, sexism or agesim. It is just that innocent things, such as nursery rhymes, are getting banned because their is a single word or image that has the potential to be perceived in a negative way that may cause offence, even if that was notthe intention or meanding behind it.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think some people take it too far, but this all started with government and business (heh.. like they're any different lol). They need to please everyone and they aren't doing that buy favouring one group of customers or citizens over everyone else. I think it's amazing that in many respects borders are melting away. Our countries are full of every religion, every skin colour, every everything... I find it more offensive when people go off about it and get all territorial. I find it very childish. It's 2014.. you can't go forward by staying in the past. You can't stay in the past but expect to go forward. You are allowed to say whatever you want and celebrate whatever you want.. but don't expect the world to bow down to only those who live the same. We're allowed to be different now.. that's what's changed. Time to embrace it because we're not going back to a christian dominated world.

8. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I agree lizzie. And I'm not trying to promote racism or bigotry either. I mean we live in a melting pot called the world. It's forever changing. However, it sucks that because people are afraid of offending someone else, they miss an opportunity to be kind to someone else as well.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In August a high school student was suspended for saying, "bless you." How does that offend anyone? Should it?

But back on topic —

Our governments want to be seen as progressive because our 'enemies' Russia and China for example are embracing social conservatism. For that reason, the government must accommodate the whims of every group that demands for "its rights." But it's all hypocrisy.

10. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I wish people would just get over themselves and stop thinking they're entitled to every bit of courtesy. I get respecting each other and all that. I'm not against respect. I'm just sick of the whining and the "boo hoo hooing" of people who get offended by simple phrases, toys, shows and music. Get over it! No one is going to hold your hand and kiss it and make it all better. Get yourselves some thicker skin!

11. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think political correctness can be extremely dangerous. But I look at it from the perspective of it totally diminishing and totally undermining the real issues that it's pretending to deal with. By 'not offending' a religious group (like getting rid of Christmas carols) it's so often missing the point of what you're trying to achieve.

Challenging "isms" is essentially about establishing respect in society. You don't establish any respect by doing something as petty as attacking Christmas carols. It panders to the religious extremists that want to change a society's way of life and it panders to the racists that hide on the guise of challenging "political correctness gone mad", who don't need a second excuse for complaining.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So if it were some other religion all these many many many many years, ruling how everyone lives their lives and punishing everyone for being human... and the list goes on... you still wouldn't see how all this started? You wouldn't get why Christmas carols aren't for everybody? Or why people are standing up for themselves so much more; getting out of hand as it may be? lol. Regardless of how Christmas actually came to be, for most of us, we grew up with it being a christian thing. I am not religious, but I love Christmas.. what I don't like is people telling me to suck it up and go with the christian flow because that's the way it's always been.. even though, we haven't always ALL been christian and that's lessening as every day passes. I get it.. as a Christmas lover, it seems odd to me that something as simple as Christmas songs can't be sung in schools anymore.. but then I get it when I think that, as an Atheist, I believe prayer should stay out of schools. Or at least, forcing everyone to participate.. you can pray anywhere any time, but the rest of us shouldn't have to. Same with Christmas music.. not everyone grew up a christian or a christmas loving Atheist lol.. there is no need to expect their lives to revolve around something that has nothing to do with them.

13. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I totally get why Christmas carols aren't for everyone - my parents were borne from two different religions before finding a common ground. But I think when we start talking about Christmas carols were really are scratching around the edges rather than attacking issues that really are offensive. Society changes and we should all accept that. But when people keep talking about carols rather than institutional discrimination it just provides a smokescreen - "we'll give in on the Christmas carols so they shouldn't be complaining about jobs etc...".

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I understand.. but I think anyone should be allowed to stand up for themselves without everyone else telling them to suck it up. It may just be Christmas songs to you, but to others it's yet another aspect of the bigger picture where Christianity is shoved down throats. I see no big deal in the music, but if I can tell someone to please not push Jesus in my face this time of year because that's not my Christmas, I have to see more clearly where the others are coming from. We can ask for equality in schools and businesses and still be worried about war and economy lol. We all deserve to be seen as equals and that won't happen as long as one religion is held above the pack. Or any religion for that matter.. I don't want religion in my life at all and I shouldn't have to suck it up to be comfortable in my own surroundings. But I get you, I really do.. I just think people fail to see the bigger picture. The easily offended are annoying, but I think they just need to go about it differently.