Is There A Difference Between Soap And 'bath Bars?'

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by bluebetta • Jul 9, 2016.

1. bluebetta

bluebettaMember

Threads:
    I have been trying to figure out why certain bath soaps are irritating to me and others aren't. Most likely it is a fragrance thing, but maybe not. While trying to do detective work, I noticed some bars are labeled 'bath bar' instead of 'soap'. Are the two words interchangeable? Perhaps they mean the same thing. On the other hand I have heard that some fast food places cannot call their 'frozen treat' a milk shake if there is no milk in it. Does the label difference mean there are different ingredients? I am truly curious. The soap so far that is least irritating to me is Ivory, and it seems to be consistently labeled 'soap'. The other bars often say Beauty Bar, bath bar or something like that. I am wondering if there may be a connection.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are generic types of soap. They're not specially designed for moisturizing (like most bath soaps are) so they leave your skin dry and irritated. They simply rinse the dirt off. Some people, particularly women, opt to use bath soaps simply because they have moisturizing properties and are usually made for specific skin types.

3. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    The pH in most body baths closely remember our own, making it less harsh on the skin. Additionally, the American Academy of Dermatology suggests that body wash helps to trap natural oils in your skin, which benefits your skin’s elasticity significantly.

Body bath is usually more expensive when compared to bar soap. In addition, while a body bath can build up a decent amount of bubbles, bar soaps typically provide a much richer lather.
    Bar soap also works better on tough dirt and sweat, so it might be a better choice for athletes or those who work in the sun

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Bath bars tend to lather more than regular soap does and usually they leave your skin feeling softer because they've got moisturising properties added to them. Regular soap is usually more basic and just takes the dirt off but can also irritate your skin in the process.

I find that Lush soaps tend to be good at not irritating my skin as much as many other brands, although I don't know if it'd be the same for you. They only use chemicals in their products when they have to and take the natural option if they can.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bath bars tend to be harder soap bars because they will be used more often. Beauty bars for the face usually have more moisturizers in them and tend lather more in my opinion. I use Neutrogena and Dove facial bars and they do last longer than a bath bar.