Is There A Way To Negotiate Terms Of Service?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by mythman • Feb 24, 2015.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    In a thread about

, the general reply is that 'You AGREED to terms that stated that You couldn't get that money back.' But I'm 99.9% sure the actual agreement was more like 'Yeah, whatever you say goes ... just lemme play!'

I'm just wondering; is it acceptable to submit a counter-agreement---sort of a 'Yes, I understand that you make the rules; it's just that These are MY rules, which you agree-to by making me agree to your rules.' And you wait for them to get back to you on that before you agree to their rules & play.

I guess it's usually easier just to agree that they are 'king' (of that game's reality) and check the box to get in. The only disagreement arises over money; and--if you're spending money--you're either READING the agreement-terms or not using money you NEED anyway.

2. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    There is generally no way to negotiate terms and conditions that were signed upon joining a site like that. If you want to play, you pay and you must accept the terms the site has established. I mean you can attempt to dispute it, but the return would be at their discretion and they are in me and obligated to any refunds.

3. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    It seems as if consumers have no rights when it comes to the digital world. Some of these sites ask for access to things that are completely irrelevant. There should be an option for stipulations. I'm pretty sure if it was them at the other end of the ball park they would have a couple objections as well.

4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Actually, as consumers we have all kinds of rights. We can actually put a business out of business by not purchasing their products or services. When we agree to terms and conditions it is responsibility to know what we are agreeing to. It is our right to choose or decline those terms.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. You have to agree to the game's TOS (terms of service) even before you can register or play the game so you are bound to comply and take the "risks" that goes with it.

However, since TOS were basically made by "humans", I feel that you can still appeal to the management (like a suggestion) to change something in the game. It's up to them if they will take it seriously or not. Anyway, if the TOS really awful to begin with and a lot of players are already complaining, then I don't think that that game site would last long right? ;)

6. allenrexler

allenrexlerNew Member

Threads:
    I would love to know if there is a way to negotiate what channels your dish provides you with and your rate. This really should be negotiable because there are so many channels I don't want and there's a few that aren't basic but that I really want. For example, BEIN sports. It is considered a premium sports channel but I would need like the Golf and Tennis channel to get it, which I have no use for.

7. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    When things become big on a global level, they really work hard to exercise those TOS agreements. The vast majority of us don't ever bother to read it because it's either too long or we don't care to. The only leverage any of us would have in a TOS is if anything within it was/is unlawful.

And even then it's tough because they'll simply go and say "you agreed to it". And in truth, they'd be right.

8. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    What could they put into a TOS agreement that would make it UNlawful? I mean, even if they wrote something like 'if you misuse our product, we are within rights to [commit all sorts of things that would usually be crimes against you],' you're still "agreeing to that," making you an accessory; right?

9. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:

That's the exact point I was making. Even if they do something that in theory violates any rights, the fact that you willingly signed off on it will potentially negate any lawsuit the customer or buyer could have had.

TOS do become outdated sometimes as time goes on and technology changes. So you might have a chance to challenge the TOS IF it doesn't get updated along with the time and/or tech.