Is There Anything You Wouldn't Give As A Gift?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by cocolgooh • Oct 18, 2015.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I ask this, because my mother has always absolutely refused to give socks as a gift, saying that they're not a gift that should ever be given and if you're giving someone socks you might as well not bother at all.

Is there anything you wouldn't give as a gift?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure. I tend to ask people what they want so sometimes do buy things that aren't to my liking. However, they are all useful and what that person wanted. If there was any type of gift that I wouldn't buy, I suppose it would be anything ornamental or without a real purpose.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I almost never, ever buy someone clothing or perfumes/colognes. I absolutely hate it when people get me these, unless I've specifically told them something I wanted. I find it rude to try and guess someone's clothing sizes, especially if you are way off, but even if you are spot on, it's still awkward and uncomfortable. What's even worse is when they start nagging you to try the stuff on in front of everyone else, especially when you can clearly tell the item(s) won't fit. What a way to draw more attention to those few extra pounds you may have put on, and shame you in front of everyone else.

With fragrances, I consider these very personal to me, I don't like others picking out scents for me to wear. I'm the one that has to smell it all day, and the wrong scents will give me headaches and get on my nerves the whole time they are on me. I don't mind if someone sees a certain bottle of something I already have is running low, and buys me a replacement, but don't go picking out some new cologne for me.

Shoes, I *might* be OK with, since shoe size isn't really as touchy of a subject with me, and I would assume is not much of s touchy subject with others. If I see someone wears a certain type of shoe a lot, such as Adidas, and I know their size, I might get them some collectible pair, or rare pair of some sort, or even a replacement of the ones they are currently wearing, so they have them when their current ones get worn out.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    By superstition, we also do not give footwear for gifts - socks, shoes, slippers. But when we have to, what we do is to ask some coins from the recipient as if the gift was not a gift but a sale. Example, I gifted you a pair of shoes then you have to pay me 1 peso for that in order to counter the superstition that it is not good to give a footwear as gifts.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate it when anyone sends me clothes at as a gift and since I normally re-gift most of them, I wouldn't make a similar mistake. There'd be no point in buying someone something that they'll dump in their closet and never wear. It's a waste of money.

Some other things I'd never get anyone as gifts are clocks or watches. No one needs a watch or clock when they have their phones with them all the time. Since they'll be of little use to most people, I wouldn't waste my money buying them.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I won't give people clothes unless I know their style and know that they would wear a particular item. So many people buy clothes for me that I know I will never wear because it isn't my taste, and then they just go to waste, so the person who bought them will have just wasted their money. If I want to get people something from a clothes shop I will get a gift voucher so that they can choose their own clothes. That seems to be a much better option most of the time.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't like giving out clocks of any type, even if they are new technology with lots of new features. I don't know what it is about clocks that I dislike so much as gifts, but maybe I got one as a gift one time at an exchange and I probably got very disappointed. A friend of mine who I think had a similar experience, brought it up one time as we were planning a gift exchange event for a Christmas party at our school and we agreed to nominate it as a banned item.

8. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Seeing @GemmaRowlands@GemmaRowlands mention gift cards, that reminded me that's something I'd never give as a gift. My aunt used to give me a gift card for a clothes shop that didn't cater to my size every year for about 10 years. I couldn't use the vouchers so they were useless to me. The same aunt used to give my deaf cousin CD vouchers every year as well. Again, a useless gift. Ever since then and seeing how they were wasted year after year, I won't give gift vouchers. I'd give cash instead if I was doing that.

9. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, no clothes. My fashion sense is relatively plain, and I don't want to try and puzzle out what somebody else would like to wear. I'd rather stick to hobbies or necessities.

I also stay away from things that are alive. I would never presume to buy someone a pet, not unless I explicitly knew they wanted the creature. Even then I'd probably accompany them to a pet shop and just pay for whatever they want to get.

10. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I don't like giving people things they probably already get for themselves. I try to look for things they like, but either can't afford, or decide to put off because it's not in their budget.
    Underwear is one thing I probably would never get anyone though. I'm very picky about the kind of underwear I buy and I'd rather not give someone a kind they won't like.

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    The one thing that immediately springs to mind that I would absolutely never ever give as a gift - is any kind of living creature.

Oh and probably not underwear, socks, clothing or for that matter anything tacky like a souvenir item either - as to be honest if I'm giving a gift - I generally like to give something that would give pleasure and could be enjoyed by the receiver.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like receiving pets as gifts and would not give a pet to anyone as a gift.

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't give those cookie or cake mixes in a mason jar. I feel like that is a lazy gift. I'd take the extra step to bake the cookies or the cake. I don't want the recipient having to go to work for a gift that I got them!

14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I say different strokes for different folks. I have been given pairs of jeans as a gift and I wore them until I outgrew them. I even received some nice wedges as a graduation gift which I have down to this day. Clothes are useful and as long as you ask what size I am I don't have a problem with accepting shoes and clothes as gifts. Besides, it helps me out so that money that would have been spent on clothes is now spent on something else. I've also been given a watch as a gift and I usually used it as a piece of jewelry more than a means of telling time. So sometimes it's all in how you look at it and how you use the gifts.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't give anything that's used. Well, unless it's a really special antique or something like that, otherwise, I don't wrap up used stuff to give away. Well, I guess if it were repurposed into something really cool I might give that as well. Okay, ***in general*** I don't give used stuff, ha ha.

I also usually avoid giving home decor items, since everyone's taste is very different. Well, unless it's a candle maybe....

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I think your Mother is right not to give socks as gifts. Underwear is another thing I wouldn't give as gifts. Married couples is different like for Valentine's Day you can get very personal and to me this is acceptable. Too personal gifts is not a good idea unless you're the immediate family I guess it's okay like a Mother buying something personal for their children. Wouldn't it be more fun to buy toys or something a person wants instead of buying something useful?

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess anything that is usually bought like toiletries or things that are for personal use like underwear. Although for couples, I think that giving underwear as a gift can be considered as "sexy".

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only thing I can think of is clothing. I wouldn't presume to know what someone else would wear.. or their size lol. I always hated getting clothing unless someone knew me really really well. I won't even buy my kids clothing as gifts.. how fun is that?? I buy them clothing as they need them.. I'm not going to wrap them up and make a party of it lol.