Is Tide Really The Best Laundry Detergent?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by ashley0323 • Aug 22, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    I have used a million, okay, maybe not a million, laundry detergents in the last 6 months. We have to be careful what we use, due to skin allergy, but we chose not to use free and clears because they have no scent. We used purex and found that they would stink like old sweat after wearing the "clean" garment 10 mins. I broke out in hives when I used gain, but it cleaned great... I am now using tide, and like the scent, even though its not a strong scent, but WOW, it cleans amazingly and really does get rid of the smells. Is tide really the best?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's all down to personal taste; Tide is okay and Purex is too. I generally go for what is on special and that smells nice. I also have sensitive skin so I don't use too much detergent and if you put it on a higher temperature then the clothes will be cleaner.

Using 30 degrees doesn't always get clothes clean. I feel that's the important part.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of Tide before, and I agree, it's really down to personal preference and whatever you use obviously has to tick a few boxes. If it works for you, then stick with it. I have always liked Ariel myself because it cleans well and makes my clothes smell gorgeous. The other plus is that you can find it literally anywhere in the world :)

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I think Tide is overpriced. Even if it is the most magnificent detergent ever, I don't think the price is fitting. It's definitely not worth it to me. I can include a stain remover or another additive and still get away cheaper than if I bought Tide. To each her own though. I know lots of people who swear by the stuff. :)

I don't dislike it, but unless I got some super great deal on it, I'd just be better off using the cheaper stuff and adding laundry boosters as need. A couple drops of lemon scented Pine Sol will knock those smells right out (at least it worked on softball and basketball uniforms, gym clothes, fast food uniforms, etc.).

Someone also mentioned in another thread that they use dish soap (Dawn, I think they said) for some stains. It works great on greasy stains, and I always have some.

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I just use Clorox or dish soap to wash my clothes. It does the same job and I've noticed that Tide didn't quite cut the stains when I used it before. It's a nice product but I've seen better.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I did not find Tide any better than moat detergents that I have used. So I go by price tags and at the moment I am using Surf.

I don't much care about scent as long as the clothes are cleaned well without doing harm to the fabric.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I think Tide it's too expensive when there are other detergents that are much cheaper and do the same job. I don't care too much of the scent as long as the clothing is clean and not damaged. Right now the only detergent I'm using is powdered, it's cheap but leaves my clothing quite clean.

8. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We use Pride and Ariel, and both brands do a good job of cleaning our clothes. We used to use Tide, but we buy the bar soap. I see no difference between the cheaper bar soaps and Tide.

9. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit that I've never used Tide myself so can't comment on if it's better than all the others or not, but I've been using Surf for a while now and I've never had any issues with it. It's cheap enough (and there is usually a special offer price on it anyway) it smells ok and more importantly, it gets the clothes clean.

When it comes to washing powders and detergents I do think that people tend to find one brand that they like and stick to it, and while Tide might be a personal favourite of some people, at the same time others will say that about most of the big named brands also.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid, there were two competing laundry powder soaps - the Tide and the Breeze. I wasn't to observant of which one of them clean better. Only my late mother knew it. Nowadays, I haven't heard about these two laundry soaps. They haven't advertised on TV anymore.

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I use Ariel for white clothes and Surf with fabcon for the rest. I've also used Tide before but there's nothing special about it as far as I'm concerned. It just happens to be an older brand that's been around for a long time. I think Ariel does a better job of removing stains on white clothes. Surf with fabcon, on the other hand, gives clothes, blankets, and bed sheets a fresh scent and cleans just as well as Tide.

12. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I have used Surf, Tide and Ariel. All of these laundry detergents are good. However, my favorite brand is Aerial which is good for white clothes. Bad thing about using Ariel is clothes worn out pretty soon because it is hard on clothes.

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am not really sure that I have used Tide, but I guess they are kind of the most popular or well known. I can good things about Gain, and other than that I usually just go with whatever is cheapest, and it is not Tide.

14. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    We use Ecover, because we have a family member with skin allergies and that's one of the few detergentss that doesn't trigger it. While it is more expensive it cleans well even used sparingly at lower temperatures, and we have noticed that since we changed over, clothes are lasting longer and the washing machine has gone far beyond its expected lifespan so it does make up the cost in other ways.