Is Used Sports Equipment Worth It?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by dashboardc33 • Apr 28, 2015.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    Where I live we have a used sports store called "play it again sports". I have been there a few times and have bought some roller skates, tennis racquets and things to that nature. However, I have to wonder is it really worth it to buy used sports equipment or is it a better idea just to get it brand new so you know that it hasn't been worn out by anyone else? Have you purchased used and had it fall apart within a few weeks of being used?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you buy something used and it falls apart weeks later, then you're buying secondhand in the wrong manner. As long as used sports equipment is inspected by the buyer beforehand, then such issues can be avoided altogether. Used equipment can save you some money and result in the acquisition of quality gear, so there's really no downside if you perform your due diligence.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Buying used sports equipment is a good idea if the equipment is in good condition. It is the same with buying anything second hand though, you have to check it out thoroughly before you part with your cash.

4. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Like Troutski said, it's all about giving whatever you buy a thorough inspection. A used Tennis racquet, for example, can save you a lot of money. As long as the frame is intact all you would have to do is change the strings and have a great racquet for a very low price.

5. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure I'd buy old roller skates, to be honest, but used sports equipment such as any sort of balls or rackets can be a good money saver, I guess. Personally, I'm not too good at tennis, so I would not know how to recognize a good frame. I bought my both rackets new, the very first one cheap from a Canadian Tire (around 10-15$) and the second one from a sport shop, above 50$ (student discount included). I know from comparing the two the difference in quality and how it hits, but I'm not sure I'd be good at making good finds in used stores... I'd take some more knowledgeable person with me.

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Certainly, I find that unless you are a professional the slight reduction in performance is negligible, and definitely worth the saving. I have inherited a lot of sport equipment, and use it frequently. I've bought used before and would do in the future.

7. Femiluv

FemiluvMember

Threads:
    I think it's worth it because you can always get high quality used equipment. I bought used weights and an Olympic barbell over 4 years ago which I still use today. It's still in good condition and I'll be reselling it soon.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There aren't many shops like this in the UK, but I think it's a great idea, especially if you are taking up a new sport or only play on a casual basis. Such shops also enable people to purchase sporting equipment that they might not otherwise be able to afford.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if you check the equipment really good it could be a good idea and good purchase. I have purchased used skates and football shoes for the kids from a second hand store without any problems.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think you should be fine as long as you can ensure that what you're buying will last you a while, or if you're buying from a good store they will probably sort out the ones worth selling so the customer can always be ensured of a good product even if they are used. I think you just have to gauge how long and how frequently you will be using the equipment for, and try to compare it to the value you are paying, and as long as the numbers check out you should be fairly safe with buying second hand when it comes to this product.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the item isn't that personal and it isn't really worn and worn out like a dumbell or a tennis racquet, then I think that it's ok. However, if it's an arm/head band, etc. then I think it's too personal already to be bought 2nd hand, lol. We have some dumbells here and an exercise machine that's barely used, so I think it can be sold at a decent price if they decide to do it.

12. Johnnie Bass

Johnnie BassNew Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. Unless you are a professional, it is totally worth it as you are able to get your hands on some original stuff and a cut short price. There are other products which are not desired to be used again although they are available. I got a pair of Adidas gloves from my brother who had been using it for a while. Even though I wasn't required to spend anything on it, it really saved me spending money on it which was totally not required.

#12Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    If a shop is selling you something that would fall apart quickly, then I don't think that they're a particularly ethical shop at all, to be honest with you. I would always buy second hand given a chance, because it doesn't matter how "shiny" something is, as long as it works in the way that it is supposed to. Buying second hand can save you a lot of money indeed, which means that you can either enjoy spending it on something else, or save up for that major purchase a lot faster than you would otherwise have been able to.

14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, it would depend upon the equipment, and the condition it was in. I'd probably skip large complicated pieces of equipment with a lot of parts, such as the multi-purpose gyms with weights, pulleys, etc., because I'm not familiar enough with them to know what was supposed to be there, and how everything was supposed to fit together. I did get a great deal on my stretch trainer several years back on Craigslist, though, because I paid about 1/3 of what a new one would cost, and I knew exactly what it was supposed to look like, and how it worked.

15. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I know where I live many parents go to Play it Again Sports to sell and buy used hockey equipment. It's great value and since kids grow so quickly you can get a gently used pair of skates or hockey pants at less than half the regular price. I also know one friend who went in and asked for the best pair of skates they had for his son. It turns out it was a brand new pair of $800 skates that had never been used and he got them for around $300. I also know of a parent who got goalie equipment that was brand new as the parent selling it bought it all for his son who then changed his mind and didn't want to play that position. So used sports equipment can be good quality and a good deal.