Is White Rice More Cost-effective Than Brown Rice?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Athanas • Oct 28, 2017.

1. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    We all know that brown rice is a whole meal and prevents type 2 diabetes mellitus. There are also many other health advantages associated with it. The only problem is that, brown rice is more expensive than white rice. I am talking about the cost in my region. What of you, is white rice cheaper than brown rice?

2. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    The health bills you will save from brown rice will be a longer term benefit. White rice will slowly kill you with diabetes. You can save money with brown rice if you buy them wholesale with coupons or buy them directly from farmers.

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    White rice is more cost-effective because you can buy varieties at half the price of brown rice. It also takes a shorter time to cook white rice which means less gas consumption. However, if you factor in the cost benefits of consuming brown rice such as diabetes prevention and control, balancing cholesterol levels, weight management, healthier heart, and improved digestion, you'll realize that the price difference is well worth it.

4. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I always liked brown rice because it had a nutty taste to it, but the concerns of arsenic in rice kind of bothers me because of what happens in certain growing situations with rice. They say brown rice could even be worse than white rice because it gets bound in the bran. Also make sure you rinse your white rice until it runs clear, before you cook it-and this will reduce the arsenic levels in the rice also. The cost of brown rice is not that much different though.

5. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    At my place, brown rice is more expensive than white rice. White rice is highly consumed and purchased by many people. I have personally eaten brown rice a few times and I can understand why people rarely consume it. It can take a while before you get used to the taste. But with it's long term health benefits, brown rice is worth to spend money on. Our health is more important :D

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I buy both tyoes of rice but mostly the white one because it's the cheapest. I am always on a budget so I must always get the cheapest ítems to be able to buy more variety of stuff. Also in my experience white rice gets cooked faster so it also saves time in the kitchen.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    White rice is much cheaper here as well; however, it is like eating paste, just like using white flour. Both are cheaper than getting whole wheat flour or brown rice; but there is no nutrition in the chemically treated varieties; so you are , in effect, paying for nothing. In my way of thinking, it is better to pay a little more and have something that has some nutrients like vitamins and minerals in it, than it is to pay less and have very little nutrition value from the rice.
    If you are using the rice along with other foods that supply complete nutrition in themselves, and the rice is more of being just a filler, then it would probably be fine to just eat plain white rice along with an otherwise completely healthy meal.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me for being skeptical but I really don't believe the hype on brown rice simply because it has no solid proof on the claim against diabetes. Over here, brown rice is more expensive so we stick to white rice which is more delicious.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on how you're going to consume them, but I particularly prefer white rice because the taste and because my wallet says "thank you", haha. :D

10. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    Over here, they are both about the same price. And you are right, brown ANYTHING is better than white when it comes to food, especially rice, noodles, and bread. The white carbs can and will raise your blood sugar, only leading to a rise in insulin and cortisol, and then will end in an abrupt drop. This is terrible news for diabetics and/or hypoglycemics (like me). Once I eliminated all white rice, noodles, and breads from my diet, my sugar finally started to stabilize. (And I lost 20 lbs. without even trying.) Also, when buying brown (wheat)...make sure that it says "100% whole wheat." NOT whole grain, that's different, and can still contain bleached white flour. I even buy whole wheat noodles, and when fried in butter and olive oil, taste the same, if not better, than white noodles. :):)

11. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Normally here we only use white rice. I never tried out brown rice so far. Is it taste same as white rice?

If there are more health benefits then I won't mind having brown rice instead of white rice if taste is not that much difference. Also price should not be that much high. I have no idea regarding price so I can't say about this thing.

12. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    White rice is refined brown rice which lacks two important nutrients, magnesium and fiber. These nutrients are vital since they regulate blood sugar in the body. That is why brown rice is recommended to patients suffering from hyperglycemia and/or diabetes. Even healthy individuals should use brown rice more often. In many countries, however, brown rice is damn expensive.

13. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I have tried brown rice once and I didn't like it one bit. Firstly, it is so difficult to cook, it takes a very very long time to become soft so you waste a lot of fuel too in cooking it properly. Secondly it is too expensive than white rice. And actually claims that brown rice is healthier than white rice is nothing but myth. White rice is easier to digest than brown rice.

Truth is, eating rice the way Indians have been doing it, accompanied with a proper dal (pulses and lentils) curry and a dollop of ghee (clarified butter) on it, lowers its glycemic index, makes it more nourishing and easier to digest.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In India brown rice is not consumed regularly so it's demand is very low. Only a few shopkeepers sell it therefore it sells it a higher price than what it should be. However in Australia where I live currently, brown rice is as much in demand as the white rice and there is not much difference of price. In some cases brown rice is cheaper here depending on variety or where it comes from. Both the varieties are normally available at $2-3 a kg.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On Oahu, white rice is cheaper than brown rice. There are different grades of rice too. The better the grade the more expensive the rice it is. Here is this week's ad for Marukai Wholesale Mart, that's just about half a block away from where I live as you'll see the rice is quite expensive. 101017p1.
    Next week a brown rice is on sale..no picture yet...Tokusen Gensenma Genmai Brown Rice 4.4 pounds is 19.97. 11 pounds is going for 47.99. So rice is a staple in many different nationalities, and if you're rich you can afford the higher to highest grades of rice . There is also a mix of rice Genji Multi Grain Rice 4.4 pounds going for 10.79, this is the most healthiest rice to eat. My friend's girlfriend now his wife who is Korean has green rice and it's supposed to be very good for your health, but green rice? I saw black rice, which was saved for royalty in the olden days, makes your rice purplish when cooked...it takes some getting accustomed to eat this sort of color rice and if you don't add water the rice is going to be dry and not as tasty. So far I've noticed when cooking different color rice, you've got to add a bit more water so the rice cooks up nicely. The grade of the color rice makes all the difference. I've tasted higher grade white rice. There is a difference in taste, the higher the grade the better the taste. So as a thumb of rule brown rice is more expensive, than white. But when you find the higher grades of either it gets very pricey. The most inexpensive rice I've found is at Walmart. If you are not a big eater of rice, buy the smaller packages so it doesn't get infected with insects.

16. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I like brown rice and don't care that it is more expensive because the health benefits far outweigh such a small difference in cost. As I have got older I try to eat more healthily even if it means paying out a little bit more. I should cut out chocolate if I want to save money as I eat far too much.

17. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I am from Bucharest and just as in your region the brown rice is more expensive than the white rice. We buy only white rice because is cheaper, but if the price would not be so high for the brown rice I would buy it because is more healthy!

18. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I cannot certainly say that white rice is cheap nor expensive but depends on a person's budget and his capacity to buy. There are different variants of white rice and the quality and taste varies too as well as the price. Some variants are even more costly than brown rice because the quality is really of the utmost and the taste is so awesome (I guess? Never actually tasted one but it is always the case I believe.) But yeah, on a regular basis brown rice is a lot expensive than most of the white rice variety.

19. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Brown rice is a bit more pricey in our country as well. It's almost twice the price of a regular white rice. I used to eat brown rice because of its health benefits, plus I'm trying to shed a few pounds so brown rice is a good alternative. Now I eat black rice instead of brown because it's healthier although a bit expensive compared with brown rice. Even so, I can say that it's worth it and makes me full with just one cup compared with white and brown rice :)

20. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    In my place also, brown rice is more expensive than white rice. However, I am always surprised why brown rice is expensive. Refining rice to white rice involves many steps. However, refining rice to brown rice does not take a long proceess. Based on the refining process, white rice should be expensive.