Is White Rice More Cost-effective Than Brown Rice?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Athanas • Oct 28, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    That's sounds logical.

Then surely there is no meaning in going for brown rice. It is expensive than white rice and as you said it takes really long time for cooking then it is even more costly as more fuel will burn. And as other users are too saying that all health related things are just myth then it makes no sense for going towards it than white rice.

After all these if it not tastes good then I wonder if anyone can choose it.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This would seem to be true of many things, like whole wheat and also brown sugar, which would be less refined than the white varieties of the same foods. Even though the rice (or other food) does take more chemical refinement , it is done in larger quantity because more people buy the white varieties of rice, sugar and flour. This means that a special facility and processing plant has to be used to produce the more healthy varieties of these foods, and since they are made in smaller quantity, the cost is higher.
    Health is one of those things that is vitally important, and when we lose it, it is either hard, or impossible, to get it back; so to me, it is worth spending the extra money to get the more natural foods and preserve my health.

3. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I have maybe eaten brown rice a couple of times. I do not like the taste at all and doubt it I ever will. I fully understand the health benefits of brown rice but I am so used to white rice that I decided to eat it anyways and find another way to get healthier. With the matter of cost, I am not really sure if its that more expensive than white rice since I rarely buy it.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You are right but as the demand of brown rice is generally low due to its taste and shelf life people do not buy it in big quantity making it costlier. Maybe if it's more in demand then it would be cheaper when more commonly available in shops. However, brown rice is not costlier than white rice in the area where I live-

5. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    Black rice? You are introducing a very important topic I have never heard of and I would liken to learn. Most rice is brown before being refined. After refining it becomes white. Where does black rice come from? Imagine in the whole of my country there is no black rice. Does it become black after processing or it is harvested black?

6. juan dela cruz

juan dela cruzMember

Threads:
    You can buy cheaper white rice because it is easier to produce them. There are more consumers of white rice too so the demand for white rice is greater too. This means that many people are more interested in buying white rice so the producers can easily sell white rice than brown rice because of the supply and demand. If they produce brown rice there will be less sales for them plus the fact the producing brown rice is a bit more expensive than white rice.

To sum it up because there's not too much people who are producing brown rice then the price goes up because of the lack of producers.

7. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Well it's actually less popular than white rice and brown rice but it has a lot of powerful antioxidants compared to them. Another term for it is 'Forbidden Rice'. I'm not quite sure how is the process of black rice though. Hundreds of years ago, they say that black rice was reserved for the Chinese royalty to maintain their good health since it has a lot of nutrients and health benefits. Up till now, there are still a lot of people in our country who aren't aware that this type of rice exist.

8. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    We get so many different varieties of white rice in India that are amazingly tasty and fragrant too. Plus, there is also the choice of picking from hand-polished to machine polished rice we can pick from. Hand polished white rice is a bit more expensive than machine polished but brown rice is far more expensive but it is not at all tasty and takes so much long to cook.