Is writing therapeutic for you?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by JosieP • Dec 21, 2013.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up fascinated with my language and all the wonderful things we can do with the written word. I spent so many days from childhood on, deep in novels and poetry books and writing my own. Not a day went by that I didn't read, but I spent most of my time writing. I have boxes full of my writing. It helped me through tough times when I worked things out on paper. It helped me remember important times.. whether lessons or adventures. It relaxed me.

Since having children I haven't written much of anything. Writing on these forums is about it these days lol, I just haven't had the brain power to do it, let alone do it right. I don't feel I have that creative flare any more.. or that great way with words I once had. I don't even pay much attention to my spelling and grammar, it just doesn't do it for me any more. I spent so long blocked and distracted, I guess I just sort of lost it. Even forums like these though, are a good way to work through things or see things in a new light. It's like the journal can speak back now lol.

How do you feel about writing?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely find writing therapeutic and a stress reliever but ,like you, I don't have much time for creative writing anymore, so it's great that we have this forum as an outlet to express ourselves and talk to each other.

Hopefully when your kids are older, you can find time to get your writing going again and maybe start a blog.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, they're old enough now that I'd have plenty of time for it if I wanted it, but I still can't keep my thoughts on track. When I write for myself, it works out ok I suppose, but the thought of writing for other people drives me nutty. I'm constantly wanting to write to suit every possible person reading it, if you know what I mean. Then it gets all long winded and boring lol. I was thinking of writing a blog though.. for myself and if anyone happens to read it so be it. I don't care about audience, but I like the idea of having it online instead of somewhere I will most definitely lose it, as I'm apt to do lol.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I've had a similar experience with motherhood. I don't do much creative writing, but I've always been a journaler and I've always found a certain sense of satisfaction from writing. I was a writing teacher for many years.

Just curious, have considered blogging? For me, it is just a hobby and one I don't do as often as I'd like, but it is there and I keep up with, even if irregularly.

Also, I write for

. This is more of a technical and informative writing platform for me, and one for which I get paid. You might be interested in checking it out.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Writing can have the tendency to be therapeutic but I feel it can also be damaging. Like as in writing because of work and not because of a desire. Dedicating all of your time writing something that is forced on you can definitely be a bad thing. I think the most therapeutic style of writing is one that helps you get out all the garbage that sticks to the soul.

6. Mr. Blue

Mr. BlueNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, I've always been someone who was more lost in thought. Writing never flowed well for me and I felt more bound by the format of writing. I guess that kind of explais why I'm more of a number person.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Writing does not flow with me either. I have thoughts but can not get them on paper to make sense to someone else. When I am working something through I will do something physical like clean the floor, do some gardening or take a long walk to help get my mind cleared out.

8. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Me too but I like colors, pictures and sounds more. Writing isn't very natural for me. Like right now I'm thinking of what to say and making sure I wrote it right and there aren't any problems with it and I'll probably re read this to make sure.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, it's definitely therapeutic for me. When I feel agitated in some way, I immediately need to grab a pen and paper and start writing down my feelings. I analyse my difficulties from different angles until I see a clear picture emerging or until I feel lighter. Of course, it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes I just start tearing into the paper, drawing endless circles or blobs, interspersed with the odd obscenity. But even that, or especially that, helps me to overcome heavy mental states.
    I also write for pleasure. I have written many short stories and poems over the years. Perhaps I will present them one day to a publisher, who knows.

10. postergirl

postergirlMember

Threads:
    I am a creative writer. I find it very therapeutic. I don't just write about the doom and gloom, but I also write about the wonderful things that I experience on a daily basis. I have 2 grown children and 3 pets and I never have a shortage of material. I think writing keeps your life "in-check". I believe that you should write about the good and the bad.