Isaly's Chipped Chopped Ham in BBQ Sauce

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • Oct 12, 2014.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure how common this is outside of the Ohio and Pennsylvania areas where it originated, but a local deli/restaurant from the early 1900's in our area, called Isaly's, made this a rather popular sandwich around here. For those not familiar with their "chipped chopped ham" it's made from lesser cuts of meat, including pork shoulder, that have been formed into a loaf. The meat is sliced incredibly thin to the point where it's nearly translucent. It literally melts in your mouth because of how thin it is sliced, and it's really moist from all the natural gelatin in it. It's also got a really pronounced "ham" flavor to it.

Anyhow, it's commonly served by simply mixing it with their own Isaly's BBQ sauce, and warmed through in a pan. The sauce itself is very loose and runny, and a bright reddish orange - not the dark heavy BBQ sauce you might be used to with tons of molasses in it. It's mild and sweet, with perhaps some other spices in it such as cinnamon and clove, but they are very subtle if they are in it at all.

This just came to mind, because someone in our household recently picked up a tub of it already prepared from our local grocery store, so I figured I would share it on here as well. I know you can get the ham itself at many Wal-Mart locations on the east coast, but I think the BBQ sauce is harder to find unless you live in Ohio or PA - though you could probably order it online.

Incidentally, this was also the same company that invented the Klondike Bar - which was later acquired by Unilever.